Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
climbing girls who got started by your boys tell me how?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

djmeat

Jan 1, 2003, 3:24 AM
Post #1 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

climbing girls who got started by your boys tell me how?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm interested to know from the women that did get started by thier men. What was it that finally made you start?

tradaddict

Jan 1, 2003, 4:14 AM
Post #2 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

climbing girls who got started by your boys tell me how? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha! I got my ex into climbing so I could have a belay slave.
Careful about that gender stereotyping eh?
Deirdre

metoliusmunchkin

Jan 1, 2003, 4:32 AM
Post #3 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[small]This topic was moved to the The Ladies Room forum by metoliusmunchkin[/small]

granite_grrl

Jan 1, 2003, 5:25 AM
Post #4 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The fellow I dated at the time had only gone out climbing a couple of time before I started out too. I refuse to say that he really got me into climbing if he was barely into himself.

The only reason I went that first day was because he didn't want to get muddy while mountain biking. I should go make fun of him for that again.

djmeat

Jan 2, 2003, 3:10 AM
Post #5 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Addict I make no refernce to Gender stereo types.

I'm sure there are plenty of men on this site that got started by a woman. However, since I am a man and I'm looking to possibly interest a woman in climbing in the future. It would be silly for me to quiz the men on this site how they got started....don't you think????

djmeat

Jan 2, 2003, 6:38 PM
Post #6 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have found in that past that rarely does the content of my questions for this woman matter. But the manner in which I ask them. Thus "Hey you want to go climbing some time" is far to direct and easy to say no to.

Come on ladies, hook me up with some persuasion beta.

Were any of you less than excited about the idea before you went?? If so what made you go and just give it a try?

rockwomyn

Jan 2, 2003, 7:33 PM
Post #7 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when we first started dating my boyfriend and i went on vaction to north carolina. Un beknowst to me i though we were just camping then he starts talking this.. "let's get you a pair of shoes" business. I was not real excited either way with the idea...before him i never really knew much about climbing or that fact that so many people do it.

so needless to say he bought me some shoes, got me into the harness, tied in and told me to climb on (well a little more detail than that...ya know the safety bit).

So i tried it, just started climbing....nearly had a panic attack half way up but made to the top...then had to be coaxed to lean back to be lowered...got to the ground and wanted to go again.

i must say that it probably depends on the person. i am pretty willing to try things so it wasn't too hard pressed to get me to try. Although i nearly choked when i saw how much shoes cost.....an expense my boyfriend ate just to get me going. I owe him many thanks.

good luck...if she really doesn't have the interest than well....sorry.

****but offer to buy her shoes first***

[ This Message was edited by: rockwomyn on 2003-01-02 11:39 ]

bitterlotus

Jan 2, 2003, 10:26 PM
Post #8 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with Deirdre on this one -- I got the boy started!!

That aside, if your lady friend is the athletic or adventurous type, I don't see why she would turn a new sport down. On the other hand, if she's anything but (and I suspect this is the case, 'cause you seem to be tiptoeing around the question), why force her -- she wouldn't have fun if she felt she was doing this more for you than for herself.

Just ask her to meet you at the gym one day, a few minutes before you're due to leave. I think just being there to witness a few climbs should inspire her to want to pick it up, if she's at all interested. She'd just ask you about it, or heck, you can ask her afterwards what she thought of it. But if seeing the sport up-close really doesn't spark any interest, there's very little you can say or do to work up a taste for it for her.

Good luck!

[ This Message was edited by: bitterlotus on 2003-01-03 07:08 ]

climbingbetty22

Jan 4, 2003, 7:21 PM
Post #9 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If she is resistant to the idea of getting into climbing, maybe try and find out why. Is she afraid of heights? Does she see climbing as something really dangerous? If she's afraid of heights, try to get her into bouldering maybe. If she is afraid of the danger then maybe try signing the two of you up for a class at your local gym where a certified instructor can safely go over all the bases. If that doesn't work. maybe you should try to find a chick who's already into climbing

winkwinklambonini

Jan 4, 2003, 10:37 PM
Post #10 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lynn Hill got me into climbing.....

ultraorange

Jan 17, 2003, 1:43 AM
Post #11 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haha
~Matt

ximiana

Jan 17, 2003, 8:47 AM
Post #12 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont start for my boyfriend, i stard for one of my teachers of the school, and later for one of his friends...

but i start go out with he, sometimes 2 or 3 times in a week, althoug he isn't my boyfriend i start for a boy..

arak42

Jan 17, 2003, 3:37 PM
Post #13 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was roped into this sport by a boyfriend. BUT, I was the one who hit on him first when I found out that he climbed. I had been wanting to learn for while and there was this single climber boy and I was a single 'wanna be' climber chick... Oh yeah, and he bought me a pair or shoes for our six month aniversery. That is definatly a nice touch.

K

chi_girl

Jan 29, 2003, 8:57 PM
Post #14 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My boy got me started. He just happened to hike and see some climbers and they let him try, and he was in love with it! So it was easy for him, but I took a bit more coaxing. I went out bouldering with him for the first time and I tried his shoes, but I didn't really get the excitement of it. Then he took me to the gym and I tried it there, and I loved it! But I am very adventurous and always trying new things. So if your girl isn't into trying new things, you may have to try some different approaches. Like, put holds all over her house and maybe she'll want to climb them, or put climbing posters up all over and it'll inspire her- I don't know, maybe something like that.
Anyway, once you climb, if it's for you then it usually sticks. But maybe it's not for everyone.

jumpingrock

Jan 30, 2003, 8:14 AM
Post #15 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I brought a couple of girls into the sport and basically I ask them if they want to come climbing then if they say "yes I would like to try if I had time" I just work them like mad until they give up and start to climb. Then there was this other lady who I met at a frat party and she wanted to climb but didn't know anybody who climbed. So basically its the same way you normally pick up a lady, ask her once and if she seems interested keep up the pressure.

alpinebedy

Jan 30, 2003, 9:22 PM
Post #16 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My boyfriend got me into climbing. He just offered to take me and a friend and we agreed so we went to the Gunks and top roped for a day. He was sooo patient and caring and encouraging!! He made us feel really good about ourselves even though we only got 1/2 way up the first pitch of a 5.5. (That took us hours!) So it went from there after that... But the main thing is, if you're trying to get your girlfriend into it, is to be really patient and cognizant of the fact that climbing is instinctively scary. So you should talk her through the safety systems before you take her out.

enigma

Jan 31, 2003, 10:39 AM
Post #17 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey jumpingrock, Very hypocritical of you to play shy ,in the general category about partners and aggressive with the ladies here. What gives???
As far as getting women to climb Djmeat I truthfully wouldn't bother,just find women who already climb. Most climbers ,women and men are generally self-motivated.
I can't tell you how many women are at the crags with the male counterparts, essentially miserable and frustrated after being talked into climbing.I'm not saying it isn't possible but why bother? Hey, I wouldn't try to convince someone into climbing ,male or female.
As silly as it seems some people have an aversion to climbing hundreds of feet up with a rope and harness,some metal biners and some metal bolts or cams to support their weight.

gretchino

Apr 1, 2003, 4:30 PM
Post #18 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My boyfriend got me started when we first started dating...personally I think he did it so he could check out my butt as I climbed up the wall in a harness....
...whatever the motivation was, I'm glad he did. We've had some really fun adventures together climbing.

turtlewomyn

Apr 2, 2003, 4:45 PM
Post #19 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My brother helped get me started. He is Pelliott. I had taken a class at school because rock climbing was on my list of things to do during my life time. My brother had already been climbing, so when I went home after taking that class he took me to the gym (it was winter in MN). I still use him for information.

jay_climbingchick

Apr 2, 2003, 5:59 PM
Post #20 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

I did [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I got started by my boyfriend and I am glad I did. I love climbing but I was always scared to start but when he asked me to go with him I have been hooked ever sence. :D

climber49er

Apr 2, 2003, 9:50 PM
Post #21 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was my wifes idea to for us to learn to climb and now I am hopelessly addicted and she likes it but doesn't care if she does it much, wierd.

I know this doesn't even remotely answer the original question.

climbinggirl33

Apr 3, 2003, 4:10 AM
Post #22 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

Too funny [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually a horse actually got me started - or specifically I was out on a trail ride in Mexico where we came upon some climbers and I thought "Wow, that looks really cool."

Got back home - signed up for a class - and "poof" I had a new addiction.

bcmtn_grl

Apr 11, 2003, 4:17 PM
Post #23 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

AS to persuasion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you need to persuade a woman into climbing, just get her to try once!!!!
Thats all it took me, and I tried outdoor at Skaha, wearing mens climbers 5 sizes 2 big!!! But Apperantly rock was my partner for life. If she hesitates on trying, just show her some pics of women climbers. Usually seeing a climbers arms and back is enough of a jolt!

Good Luck, climb on!

If a man walks in the woods for the love of them half of each day, he is in
danger of being regarded as a loafer. But if he spends his days as a
speculator, shearing off those woods and making the earth bald before her
time, he is deemed an industrious and enterprising citizen. -Henry David
Thoreau, naturalist and author (1817-1862)

bcmtn_grl@hotmail.com :D

runbikeclimb

Apr 24, 2003, 8:19 PM
Post #24 of 36 (3932 views)
Shortcut

I am a climber's wife and now a climber myself!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't have time to read all the other replys.. and am new to this site, but my husband came home with the equiptment minus a harness for me (knowing i had to have every toy he has... example a $1000 road bike!) So he took me shopping!! (girls love this-- even us rugged outdoor type) and i bought a harness-- then we went out together to try it. I had climbed indoors before-- but this was awesome out on real rocks... and I am addicted now!

footoo

Apr 24, 2003, 10:59 PM
Post #25 of 36 (3961 views)
Shortcut

Re: I am a climber's wife and now a climber myself!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay I admit it my ex boyfriend introduced me to climbing. We broke up shortly after, still seems weird when I go to the gym with my husband and he's there.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook