RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

orangeoverhang

Jan 19, 2003, 9:35 PM
Post #1 of 3 (440 views)
Shortcut

Ice Parks - How Too?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In Australia we have VERY little ice climbing as our mountains are rounded, vegetated and generally fairly warm in winter (no colder than 14' F). We get rare sections of good ice that form but it is few are far betwen. What I would like to know is how exactly places like Ourey work. How much water seeps out of the pipes? Do the pipes need warming? Any details would be useful!

tradklime

Jan 20, 2003, 4:46 AM
Post #2 of 3 (440 views)
Shortcut

Ice Parks - How Too? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You need a cliff, water source, and cold temps to start. Water is generally run at night, and when done, the lines are blown clean with air to keep them from freezing. The water is dipensed at the top of the climb through some sort of diffuser. They use misting shower heads in Ouray. You basically run water as many nights as you can (when it's below freezing).

takeit4granite

Jan 21, 2003, 11:16 PM
Post #3 of 3 (440 views)
Shortcut

Ice Parks - How Too? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I started an Ice Farm with great results!
You can check it out here under Routes/Canada/BC/Whistler/TheFarm there are some photos for your viewing pleasure.

I live on the coast and it rarely gets colder then -10c and usually hovers around -3c.

The Farm is a cliff with H20 from a snowmaking hydrant which runs 24/7 so I don't mess with clearing lines. I hung chain link fencing from a 6 bolt anchor to seed an ice pillar and let other natural features form up on there own.

Check it out and tell me what you think!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook