RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

rocknpowda

Jan 20, 2003, 5:35 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Grivel Tools
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

These tools are on sale everywhere. Anyone with Grivel tools-sound up and give your reviews of the model you have. I am specifically interested in hearing about the Tech Wing, Alp Wing, Light Machine, and Regular Machine tools.

I was wondering with the alp wing, if people have a problem whacking thier knuckles on the ice.

Thanks for your input.

elvislegs

Jan 20, 2003, 6:00 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Grivel Tools [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

While I can't comment on the exact models you are wondering about, I do own these:

The Rambo II's.

I love them, they are geared toward alpine climbing more than just water ice, but I have climbed waterfalls with them and they flat perform anyway. I love my grivels and don't feel any real need to go buy a newer or more expensive tool.

Edited to add: I probably will feel a need to buy nicer tools once I start leading more difficult WI routes.

[ This Message was edited by: elvislegs on 2003-01-20 10:02 ]

tradklime

Jan 20, 2003, 6:29 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't own Grivels but I have climbed on them. I think they are great tools over all, the specific model depends on what you are interested in. My favorites are the light machine. The machine, light machine, and tech wing are all the same basic platform, just different features. These tools are more geared toward technical ice and mixed. If you are planning on a lot of alpine, I 'd suggest the alp wing.

thomasribiere

Jan 20, 2003, 8:55 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

among the best stuff manufactured in western Europe.

matej

Jan 21, 2003, 10:21 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I prefer Wing Alp to Rambo II for several reasons: a) both axes are provided with the same picks (or blades - whatever is the correct English for the pointed part opposite to the adze or hammer which you stick in the ice); b) Wing has a curved shaft while Rambo II has a bent shaft (as shown on the picture above) which reduces knuckle whacking for Wing on lower angle ice (espcially when climbing on top of ice steps - there is not much difference on vertical ice); c) Wing is more allround - you can use it on water ice as well as on alpine and mixed climbs (Wing's shaft is a bit longer); d) the shape of the Rambo's shaft makes it difficult to stick the axe over the top of ice bulges since the shaft rests on the bulge and levers the pick (blade) out of the ice. To conclude, I'd say Wing outperforms Rambo II (bent shaft) even on water ice.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook