RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

evanmfreeman

Jan 29, 2003, 12:47 AM
Post #1 of 6 (2000 views)
Shortcut

boot suggestions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i've finally decided that i'd like to have a leather climbing boot to supplement my vegas.

i'm looking for something stiff enough for vertical ice (but not sick mixed climbing), but which i can still walk serious distances in. it also needs to be insulated, as i'll be headed to bolivia this summer. does such a boot exist?

i've considered the scarpa cumbre, la sportiva trango extreme s, and salomon ice boots. other suggestions?

thanks.

a-dog
Deleted

Jan 29, 2003, 1:38 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2000 views)
Shortcut

boot suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All the boots that you suggested are all great ones. I personally use the scarpa cumbres and love them. Warm, light, and flexible enough for approaches. You may also want to look into the new vasque super alpinistas. They look to be a cross between leather and plastic, which means they will be warmer than leather, but more sensitive than plastic. They have gotten some great reviews. Try before you buy.

sandbag

Jan 29, 2003, 1:54 AM
Post #3 of 6 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depending on the type of crampons you will buy to fit this new dimension, you need to consider the the full steel shank versus the eva midsole and the amount of stiffness that it provides. When your calves are screaming for more support, youll wish you had the steel shank. And as previous poster mentioned, try before you buy if you can.

Partner tim

Jan 29, 2003, 2:00 AM
Post #4 of 6 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Salomons fall apart. Don't buy them.

Look at the Scarpas and Sportivas and Vasques of the world, and like the other dudes said, try before you buy.

moabbeth

Jan 29, 2003, 2:32 AM
Post #5 of 6 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got the La Sportiva Nepal Extremes. Best boots ever. Just bought them a few weeks ago and used them on vertical ice at Lee Vining and they kicked ass. They're pretty expensive - I've cut back on groceries and other expenses over the last few weeks since buying them haha - but totally worth it. They'll last forever and I know I'm gonna get some amazing summits in them as well. They were so friggin warm and comfy out on the ice it was ridiculous.

ontario_guide

Jan 29, 2003, 2:55 AM
Post #6 of 6 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm using the Scarpa Cumbre's now and they've been great for me! No complaints and they feel really comfortable once you break them in. They might be a little pricey but they're worth it.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook