Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Ecuador
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

greentara

Jan 29, 2003, 7:24 PM
Post #1 of 7 (8197 views)
Shortcut

Ecuador  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Moab: Indian_Creek: Supercrack_Buttress)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm planning a trip to Peru and Ecuador for this summer (June-July) and have been looking for some information on bouldering/trad/TR routes in in Ecuador. We are also planning to climb Cotopaxi and do a week or so trekking. Anyone have advice or recommendations? I would also be interested if any climbers out there would like to meet up with our group in Lima or Quito.

atg200

Jan 29, 2003, 9:33 PM
Post #2 of 7 (8195 views)
Shortcut

Ecuador [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

june and july are not a particularly good time to climb in ecuador - the conditions are better in december and january. all the rock i climbed in ecuador sucks and is definitely not worth bringing along the gear for. if you are really insistent there is some below average sport climbing near riobamba and an interesting manmade outdoor castle thing called the rocodromo in quito. quito and lima are absolutely nowhere near each other either - if you are planning on peru you would be better off to skip ecuador and go to the cordillera blanca which are in good season in july, and schedule another trip to ecuador later.

tibi

Feb 5, 2003, 2:18 AM
Post #3 of 7 (8195 views)
Shortcut

Ecuador [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi, I'm from Ecuador, I'll be climbing full time all this months.
Right now I'm in North Carolina, but I'll be living in Quito/ Cuenca.
Climbing in Ecuador is very limited, is some good rope climbing near Cuenca, a very nice city south of the country.
I'll be tryng to find some more bouldering.

I'm going to Atlanta this week, what about bouldering arround?
send an email if you want to climb arround Ecuador, at chinotibi@hotmail.com
good luck
tibi

melloco89

Jan 6, 2006, 4:15 PM
Post #4 of 7 (8195 views)
Shortcut

I'm from Ecuador [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if you want to go bouldering there's a Nice e place near cuenca is call chacalata ,try to locate the people in the gym that is near the coliseum,so the can explain you how to get there they are friendly,there is no to much of trad but in cuenca ,paute there is sport

etrier

Jan 21, 2006, 3:59 PM
Post #5 of 7 (8195 views)
Shortcut

where is the sport climbing in Cuenca? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

we are here in Cuenca January 21 ,206 and have just a day more until we leave .
We would really like to find the sport climbing in Paute, we have our mountaineering gear but no climbing shoes where could we rent or borrow some?
We tried to reach Eco Trek, a company advertised in our guide book, but we could not get a hold of them.Where do we take a bus -Taxi to?
would be great to hear from you really soon!

nomadeco

May 9, 2006, 11:44 PM
Post #6 of 7 (8195 views)
Shortcut

Ecuador in June and July [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The myth that there is no rock climbing in Ecuador is exactly that...a myth. There are established sport crags outside of both Banios and Papallacta with about 10 to 20 bolted climbs each. Neither however, is for sissies, there are probably two or three 10's and the rest are hard 11's or 12's. The rock is smooth basalt, so it requires a different climbing style (lots of stemming and balance moves). The people who are bolting routes here are hard climbers with limited resources which may explain the lack of intermediate bolted routes.

Ecuador has a tonne of sport climbing potential for anyone with bolts, hangers, and a drill. Not to mention the many possible high altitude rock routes in the mountains.

If you are coming to Ecuador, feel free to PM me and I will be glad to share beta.

canadianloco

May 10, 2006, 12:29 AM
Post #7 of 7 (8195 views)
Shortcut

peru bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have no idea what ecuador is like, but i've bouldered a bunch in peru. The Cordillera Blanca is dope. There is a little sport climb with a few bolted routes and also a nice selection of boulders less than a $1 taxi ride away from the city of Huaraz. There is a lot of potential along all of the trek routes too, I found some good stuff on the Santa Cruz trek. I don't know your schedule or plans but I'll just throw this out there. I travelled inland about 10 hours by bus from Lima one time to this small city named Tarma. I happened to hear about this limestone cave that is the deepest in Peru, goes underground 2km or something like that. Feeding off of a hunch I went up there and sure enough, limestone like you wouldn't believe. I couldn't find any sign of past climbers, but I found boulders of every size, some bigger than houses. Has anyone else ever been in this region? It is pretty remote and I had a hell of a time finding transportation. Anyhow, hope this sheds a some light. Oh, haha, I'll be in Peru June 7th until the 4th of July. Send me an email if you want to know any specifics, I'll try my best to remember the details.

colin_chapmania@hotmail.com

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook