RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

Partner xcel360

Feb 6, 2003, 6:27 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1962 views)
Shortcut

Which slide film?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been considering using slide film for some time now, but don't know enough about it. I heard the quality of the picture turns out much better, as in sharper and better colours. I currently use regular plain old fuji-film 35mm with my cannon elan 2e SLR. I like the fuji much better than kodak for some reason.

Should I use kodachrome (I noticed there were red and blue boxes...), Fuji Velvia, or what? Also if I remember correctly, the speed is very different compared to typical film. like 125, and 75 or something. Can any of you steer me in the right direction? If you look at my current photos posted, you'll see I don't exactly take pro quality shots, but I'm going to improve somehow!

Thanks in advance for all your help, this website is always a great source of information!

kcrag

Feb 6, 2003, 9:25 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1962 views)
Shortcut

Which slide film? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

glen,

Check out some of the previous threads in this forum, one being http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=15589&forum=45&21.

In general, it is said that kodak films are good for reds, yellow, and skin tones, whereas fuji films are noted for the blues and greens (hence, packaging color choices). Many pros choose Fuji Velvia for outdoor photography. The slow speed creates less grain, greater contrast and better color saturation, and the blues and greens really pop. You can listen to everyone's opinions if you'd like, but I'd certainly suggest pick some films and start testing. You'll figure out which ones you like best.

One thing you'll quickly learn about shooting chromes is that the film latitude is MUCH more narrow than that of negs. You've got to be pretty much dead-on with your exposure. Because of this, many people tend to bracket their exposures in 1/2-1 stop increments. This can help assure that you'll get the shot.

Also check out www.photo.net for more info.

Good luck & have fun shooting.
-k.

saltspringer

Feb 9, 2003, 1:47 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

try Fuji Provia 100 & 400 to begin with...Velvia is too fussy if you're just getting started with slide film

fanederhand

Feb 9, 2003, 1:56 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use Velvia too. You have to pick the right climbing day to be able to use Velvia because it is a very slow film (50ASA). You should have a fast lens for you camera if you want to have more flexability in lighting (f1.4 works well). I use other slide film with higher ASAs if I know I will doing a lot of action shots in low lighting but once you see the color rendition of Velvia you will fall in love with it. Rock on

marcsv

Feb 9, 2003, 1:58 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

provia whenever its available if not kodak

willstrickland

Feb 11, 2003, 5:19 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I shoot Velvia 90+ percent of the time. Why? It's supersaturated and extremely fine-grained. The loss of one stop of speed isn't crucial in all but a very very few cases. I carry a few rolls of Provia 100 and 400 in the bag just in case, but rarely use any.

Velvia is no "pickier" exposure wise than any other slide film.

The only drawback in my mind with Velvia is that skin tones are not even close to accurate. In climbing, since people cruxing are getting red-faced anyway, it isn't so noticable.

Kodak has (or had, I've heard they're discontinuing it) a super-saturated 100 speed Elite Chrome in both consumer and pro-versions. I've shot a few rolls of it, and it's nice stuff. The consumer version is Elite Chrome EC 100 (EC for extra-colour or something like that) the pro-version is Elite Chrome VS 100 (VS for vivid saturation). Just don't confuse these with the regular Elite Chrome 100.

I'd shoot either of these, and I occasionally shoot Provia 100F (which has the finest grain of any slide film out there)altough it's not as saturated.

I'd venture that over 90% of the mag photos are shot on Velvia.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook