Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

ebrmusic

Feb 8, 2003, 3:11 PM
Post #51 of 55 (3199 views)
Shortcut

Why do you enjoy trad more than sport? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Its nice when you are taking people out that arent really experienced climbers because leading a 5.9 that they are comfortable on top-rope is still lots of fun for me to lead.

dingus

Feb 10, 2003, 6:08 PM
Post #52 of 55 (3199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like sport climbing because of the immediate mental and physical demands. You can't hide from the runnout to the next bolt.

I like bouldering because of the ultimate technique performance it exacts. You can't poopoo a move you fail to execute.

I like ice climbing because of the pure stupidness of it all. It is the epitome of craziness.

I like trad climbing because all those shiny trinkets make me feel like a warrior princess!

I like aid climbing because I can't free climb worth a damn.

I like mountain climbing because of the ski back down and the joy of signing old summit registers.

I like peak bagging cause I like to shout in the wind from weird and unimportant summits. And then telling people in the Valley... "see that lump over there? No, not that one. THAT one! Yeah! I CLIMBED THAT!!!"

I like Step Mills and Versaclimbers because they help keep me strong. And for reminding me that despite all my rage I'm still just a rat in a cage.

I like tall ladders cause they scare me so.

I like climbing in trees because the swaying branches reminds me of the stomach, doing the same.

I like getting high, and then coming back down.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm a climber. I climb things. Each of the disciplines, each of the techniques, each of the genres, is just another tool in the arsenal of the compleat climber. You all can wax poetic about why this or that is superior. If it makes you feel better to glorify your decisions far be it from me to criticize them, cause lord knows I've done the same!

I love using the right climbing tool for the job at hand...

Sport climbing won't get me up Sacherer Cracker.

Trad climbing won't get me up Structural Disintegration.

A ladder will help me send Midnight Lightening, but that would be cheating!

Trad climbing won't see me through the 25 mile round trip hike to the summit of a remote peak (though it may help on the summit block).

Bouldering won't get me up the Zodiac.

Aid climbing won't send the Dike Route (thoug it could certainly slay it!)

The right tool for the job. And the knowledge and ability to use it. That's what I dig...

DMT

wigglestick

Feb 10, 2003, 6:16 PM
Post #53 of 55 (3199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dingus how do you manage to perectly articulate what I am thinking, yet too stupid to put into words?

From this point on Dingus will be the offical spokesman for Wigglestick.

climbingjunky

Feb 12, 2003, 4:24 AM
Post #54 of 55 (3199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll have to agree with Dingus. I hate climbers dissing other people or other forms of climbing. It's you people that give climbing a bad name. Everyone has their own opinion. If you have nothing good to say, then don't say anything at all, because we're all tired of hearing the same bulls**t!! Now go climb something dammit!

[ This Message was edited by: indy on 2003-02-11 20:25 ]

kalcario

Feb 12, 2003, 5:11 AM
Post #55 of 55 (3199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there is nothing more fun in the rockclimbing world than pulling yourself up a steeply overhung wall on widely spaced positive holds

there is nothing more fulfilling in the rockclimbing world than topping out on your first wall and/or El Cap route

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook