RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Partner polarwid

Dec 3, 2001, 10:08 PM
Post #1 of 2 (598 views)
Shortcut

Climbing and communicable diseases.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK this is to tag on to the gay question...and I am not saying that gays and lesbians are the sole carriers of communicable diseases...but the issue has been raised. HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF OR CAUGHT A DISEASE FROM A PARTNER(climbing of course). Can human tissue left in a jam crack spread aids or meningitis or a cold or herpes. Do you ever put gear in your mouth, rope in your mouth, etc... can this happen? Will we be climbing with latex glove and dental dams? Please reply...is it safe or not to climb a route that anyone else has climbed? What about that WHITE POWDER we use

gunkjunkie

Dec 3, 2001, 10:27 PM
Post #2 of 2 (598 views)
Shortcut

Climbing and communicable diseases. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As far as I know this is probably low on the list of worries. HIV doesn't last too long outside the body - so dried up blood on a climb doesn't seem to pose any risk. And from what I remember of microbiology it is present in low levels in saliva etc so the rope thing shouldn't be that big an issue. The common cold and flu are probably a different matter.

I think that on the whole you are more likely to pick up a nasty disease in the gym or at a restaurant etc.

The only time you would need to be worried is when giving medical care - stopping bleeding, giving CPR etc. Keep a set of gloves and a CPR mask handy for these situations.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook