well guess it depends on the mistake

wv5ten

Feb 27, 2003, 3:10 PM
Post #3 of 21 (1273 views)
Shortcut

morbid post [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

after awhile, i probably could....nothing huge or hard or anything. only because you can't dwell on accidents, if it was on purpose, as in you didn't do this because you didn't think it was necessary, and the reason he fell was that exact reason, then thats another story.

either way it would be years before i could get back to it.

hoppinbig

Feb 27, 2003, 3:21 PM
Post #4 of 21 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get rid of my partners? I'd throw a party!!!

Seriously, if it was my fault (and not an equipment failure) I don't think I could climb again....

What would happen to you if you did? Would you be charged, the family would probably sue you? One of my partner's father is a big shot lawyer - I'd be screwed!

asaph

Feb 27, 2003, 3:29 PM
Post #5 of 21 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't simply because if I made a mistake that cost someone their life once, I would never fully trust myself not to do it again.

mother_sheep

Feb 27, 2003, 3:30 PM
Post #6 of 21 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think I could climb again. When I climb, I feel responsible enough in knowing that I always carefully watch my partners and check them. I think I'm super safe. I don't see how I would ever be able to get back out on the rock again knowing that I was wrong and as a result, someone is dead.

w6jxm

Feb 27, 2003, 3:50 PM
Post #7 of 21 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel bad enough when a grigri jams from a kink in the rope and my partner jams his knee in the wall. If I did something stupid that killed him, I probably would give it up. If equipment failed, I would give up because I would loose trust in my own equipment.

climbjs

Feb 27, 2003, 3:51 PM
Post #8 of 21 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

....Damn, not another one!

lynne

Feb 27, 2003, 3:57 PM
Post #9 of 21 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you're thinking about whether or not you would climb again after killing your partner, why don't you just go ahead and give up climbing now?

Me, I'll just opt to continue being the absolute safest climber possible and avoid morbid thoughts like this one.

arak42

Feb 27, 2003, 3:57 PM
Post #10 of 21 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No way could I climb again!
Just the thought of it totally freaks me out. I dropped someone about about 10 feet once, by mistake. He wieghed more than me, but not by much, 15-20lbs, and I wasn't paying attention (No place to ancor in). He fell, and since I wasn't prepared to take the fall so I was forced into the wall which caused him to fall farther and he hit is knee pretty bad (good bruise though!) That freaked me out enough!

K

cascadehigh

Feb 27, 2003, 4:15 PM
Post #11 of 21 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Death [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What!!!??? I am fairly new to this site and have been learning tons of information from other climbers, but death??? I just think we should deal with the situation as it comes to us, not the situation that hasn't happened yet. We all hope that this will NEVER happen to us or anyone that climbs for that matter. If your partner actually was killed while climbing I could see you looking for resolve in the forums of RC.com.. So to simplify, I believe that we should take things as they are, not as "what if".

Climb with care, Shane

theooze

Feb 27, 2003, 4:28 PM
Post #12 of 21 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeez, what a question.

There was a well-known account written a few years ago by a climber who watched a dude fall 100' to his death, in a rapelling accident at the Gunks. He was on an adjacent route. He heard the guy say "ohmigod' as he fell past. Does anyone know where to find that article? It'll creep you out.

If I dropped somebody somehow, I think I would have a complete breakdown and probably commit suicide. More likely drink myself to death.

hishopper

Feb 27, 2003, 4:48 PM
Post #13 of 21 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not a chance. In fact, that's the reason I will probably never lead - not because I don't have the skill, but my desire to climb is fully quenched by 2nd'ing or sport climbing - I have no need to ever let another climber's life depend on my placement of gear. I'll let up a top rope, belay, and climb free of that pressure.

If I climbed with someone regularly for a long period of time, perhaps that would be different..

theooze

Feb 27, 2003, 5:04 PM
Post #14 of 21 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd go lead something hard, with the rope around my neck instaed of a harness.

Partner camhead

Feb 27, 2003, 5:15 PM
Post #15 of 21 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish I could say otherwise, but I know I would give it up for good if that happened. last summer a (not too close) climbing partner died, and I did not climb trad for four months.

rockhound71

Feb 27, 2003, 5:30 PM
Post #16 of 21 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would take a little time off to mourn and berate myself, but I wouldn't quit. My partners wouldn't want me to give it up. We all know the risks, and there are no guarantees that something won't happen (with gear or human error). If we all wanted to do something safe, we'd go bowling or something!

Casey

bontrager

Feb 27, 2003, 5:52 PM
Post #17 of 21 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know if it is comparable, but ten years ago one of my close friends died while we were on a mtn bike ride. He crashed and went over a 250' drop. While there were things I could have and should have done to prevent the accident. There really wasn't much point on dwelling. Any way, the incident did affect my riding which I did continue and do today. I know that my friend would have not approved of me letting go of something I enjoyed and was such an integral part of my life. Every time I pedal though I do remember him. If something happened climbing, I would probably continue then also.

Partner coldclimb

Feb 27, 2003, 6:01 PM
Post #18 of 21 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That would really suck. I don't have a clue how I would deal with that, but I know it would be hard.

melonhead

Feb 27, 2003, 6:05 PM
Post #19 of 21 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Everyone that says that they won't climb again if they killed their partner is WRONG. Hey, it's climbing this stuff happens!!!!!! With climbing comes DEATH. EXCEPT IT ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!

epic_ed

Feb 27, 2003, 6:48 PM
Post #20 of 21 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whadda ya mean "if"? I'm working on my third victim. The other two couldn't bounce, is that my problem? :shock:

Seriously, I'd probably climb again but would likely do a lot of aid soloing. It's my ass, it's my climb, and the consequences are my own -- both victory and defeat.

Ed

ricardol

Feb 27, 2003, 6:56 PM
Post #21 of 21 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

every time i rope up, i know that i could die -- or that my partner could die ..

.. you have to accept that risk if you're going to climb .. if my partner died due to a mistake in my part, it would be catastrophic, but i would climb again (after some time) ..

.. he had to accept the risk before he roped up --

.. when i climb i try to be as safe as possible .. so whatever mistakes occur that could cause someone's death, are part of the game ..

.. for example .. i handed my partner 2 cordalletes the other day, and he used them to setup an anchor to be lowered from .. i neglected to tell him the state of the knots ont he cordalettes (i thought it was obvious, they were in a electricians braid -- and i assumed he would test the knots himself) -- turns out that he just used the cordalletes without checking the knots that made up the loop.. i have no idea what those knots were -- probably just some overhand knot, or a granny knot .. definately not something to be used for anchors! ..

.. we were lucky that day, since nobody got hurt -- after he was lowered, we examined the anchor and found one of the cordalettes had come undone -- (the other held) -- i learned my lesson -- always communicate the state of your gear to yuour partner --

.. had something terrible occurred i would have felt very responsible and it would have been tragic -- but i would have climbed again..

-- ricardo

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook