Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bentsid

Mar 8, 2003, 2:50 AM
Post #1 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Gear and airports
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anybody ever have problems bringing your gear on a flight?

xanx

Mar 8, 2003, 3:05 AM
Post #2 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Gear and airports [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

someone objected to my bringing my ice axes as carry ons, but other than that i have been just fine...

hehe j/k

what, they think u are gonna beat someone with your stoppers or something?

hammer_

Mar 8, 2003, 3:14 AM
Post #3 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd think twice about carry on , other than that it seems fine to me.
call the airline.

bentsid

Mar 8, 2003, 3:14 AM
Post #4 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Was trying to picture what a rack would look like in an x-ray machine. Gee....think they'll search that one?

Partner cracklover

Mar 8, 2003, 3:27 AM
Post #5 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gear and airports [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Anybody ever have problems bringing your gear on a flight?

No. Just do it. If you're feeling really paranoid, wrap your rope in a plastic trash bag inside the bag it's in - in case there's any engine fuel or stuff. And put your backpack in a duffel - the machines love to eat backpack straps.

GO

kerouac

Mar 8, 2003, 3:37 AM
Post #6 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never had any trouble but be prepared to unload your pack. A lot of people have no idea what climbing gear is (cams?? what are these things for???) Be ready to explain what things are and carry a climbing mag with your gear so you can show them gear in use.

tori

Mar 8, 2003, 4:09 AM
Post #7 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

at our local airport, pdx in portland, they claim that they will open even checked bags if the x-ray looks funky, cams must look funky so your stuff will probably get searched and if so make sure there is some way of letting these monkeys know that this is important life support gear. maybe a note on or in the bag that says what it is and not to screw around with it too much. i have a trip coming up soon and am wondering about this too. i don't think they will go for carry on so the above is the best i can figure out. good luck

elvis

Mar 8, 2003, 4:19 AM
Post #8 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had my bag opened in cairo Egypt as the cams did look like a disasembled stealth bomber. And I had to explain for 1/2 hour what the acms were used. When the gaurd finaly understood that they were used as fixing points in climbing cliffs he asked . WHY? I also ahd them confescated in Botswana as no amount of explaination could help but a bribe got them back.

w6jxm

Mar 8, 2003, 4:25 AM
Post #9 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hit the security over the head with your #5 and make a run for it :lol:

If you have a lot stuff, then it would be better check it. Take out insurance if it would make you feel better.

michael crowder
Deleted

Mar 8, 2003, 5:11 AM
Post #10 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

put your gear in your checked baggage. i know of three folks that have had their gear taken out of their carry-ons by security. they said a person could chain the biners together to make a flail type weapon in one case. i wonder if they have ever thought of cracking someones skull with a laptop?
michael

renhoek

Mar 12, 2003, 4:20 AM
Post #11 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i can see someone bashing a pilot over the head with a laptop (really funny mental image) but while i havent ever brought gear on a flight (partly cuase ive been climbing for all of 4 months and hope to start getting lots of gear over the summer all i got now is the shoes and the harness the chalk and atc and a biner or 3 but i would check it and not carry on just cause airport security is a pain in the ass and climbing gear looks odd so therefore your gonna get s#$t for it

notyetabigwaller

Mar 12, 2003, 4:27 AM
Post #12 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I flew to San Jose about a week ago with a full aid rack. I checked the bag and their was no problem. I doubt you could carry on a rack though.

Partner coldclimb

Mar 12, 2003, 4:50 AM
Post #13 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't try carrying my whole rack on to Hawaii, so I dunno about that. Going between islands though, I had shoes, chalk, and a biner in my bag. The scanner people searched the bag because of the carabiner, ignoring the chalk flying out, but they let me take it through anyway.

pelliott

Mar 12, 2003, 5:12 AM
Post #14 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got back from Red Rocks, and my partner carried on his rope on the way back. He even checked his luggage with a gas stove fuel cannister in it, and the luggage made it through. Go figure...

liv2climb

Mar 12, 2003, 6:19 AM
Post #15 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

New to rc.com and what a great site!On a recent trip to Paris,I was not permited to carry-on an accessory biner that I had on my day pack.According to security,it could be used like "brass knuckles"!Since I had a 2 hour wait for my flight(and out of frustration) ,I went back and checked it in.United Airlines told me that this was not an FAA regulation ,just one of the airports(CDG).

Later, Joshua

redpoint73

Mar 12, 2003, 2:38 PM
Post #16 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't even think about carrying on your gear. If they don't know what it is, they will confiscate it. Just check your gear and save yourself a big headache going through security. I'm not familiar with international flights. But for domestic flights, you should not have a problem if you check-in your gear. Trust me, the folks that x-ray the bags have seen it all. In case your bag does need to get searched after check-in, the TSA is recommending using disposable plastic ties to secure the zippers instead of locks (the kind that are used for tidying-up electrical cord messes).

DO NOT bring fuel containers onto an airplane. Some types of fuel are okay with SOME airlines. But in general, it is against airline regulations, and dangerous. The container can EXPLODE inside the airplane. Just buy your fuel at your destination.

climbingcowboy

Mar 12, 2003, 10:50 PM
Post #17 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you check it in you shouldnt have a problem. I just flew to Tx with a full rack plus aid gear had no problems there or back with a layover both ways.

mark99

Mar 12, 2003, 10:58 PM
Post #18 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ran out of room in my bag, so carried my rope slung over my back, there checkout person looked at me funny and mentioned that they probably would not let me on the plan with it.

So solution? she gave me a duty free plastic bag and dumped in it and sweet as.....though annoying to carry as it was a 50m 11mm heavy as rope.

I just store my climbing shoes with my gear, then when anybody checks it the smell will instantly put them off....

Yee haa

macattack22

Mar 12, 2003, 11:34 PM
Post #19 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had my carryon searched when I was coming home from Christmas after receiving a full set of BD stoppers and 10 quickdraws. They saw "something weird" in the X-ray and pulled me for a bag search. I had to explain to them exactly what the nuts and draws were for, and even when I said it was climbing gear they acted skeptical. They said something like how do they know I'm not going to try to strangle a pilot with the cable on one of the nuts? I mean, WTF?!??!!? Then they warned me I had better put this stuff in my checked luggage next time or any other security guard might not be so nice and confiscate it without even asking what it's for. Gimme a break!!! :evil:

robr

Mar 12, 2003, 11:54 PM
Post #20 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you check it and have a short layover be prepared to wait for your gear for a few days. This happened to me comming back to CT from Spain. I had screws cams and biners that I had bought in Spain in my bag, the bag was pulled to be surched in London and did not make it onto my flight. I had to wait 4 days for my bag. I think it was probably the ice screws that made them suspicious. They probably look like pipe bombs.

stellalpina

Mar 13, 2003, 12:29 AM
Post #21 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ive shleped my gear back and forth from europe a few times, and ive never been able to carry anything on the plane with me. theyve even lost it before (OHMYGOD!!!:x ). bring a climbing magazine with you or something to show the airport people youre really not a terrorist, and your stuffs legit. also, try calling the airline ahead of time to make special arrangements. some do this, it might cost some extra $, but i think its well worth it to safeguard your gear. most airlines have a $150 riembursement (sp?) limit if they lose your stuff ( :evil: ) im not sure if this is possible, but try and get your stuff insured (travellers insurance?) or at least have some proof of the value of your gear to present to the airline if they do lose your stuff. damn, i wish i had done that!!!
good luck on you trip, have a great time!
elena

redpoint73

Mar 13, 2003, 12:30 AM
Post #22 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

macattack, easy girl! In this post-September 11th world you have to expect to be hassled at the airport. Its just for your own safety. I know the way they act at security is a little illogical. They will confiscate a pair of toenail clippers--like you will clip someone to death or stab someone with a file! But I would rather they err on the side of caution rather than put me at danger. I've come to check-in everything, and just carry only on a book to read, or fragile items that might be crushed if checked in. I know its a bit risky because they can lose your luggage. Especially a bummer if you are on your way to a climbing trip. But when it comes to thousands of people travelling by air every day, the burden is on you to make things easier for security and everyone else on the plane by just cooperating and trying to understand their point of view. Look on the bright side, you're probably luckier than me. I look like a foreigner (even though I was born and raised in Chicago) and I get singled out for a search almost every time I travel by air! :P

xinh

Mar 13, 2003, 12:40 AM
Post #23 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had my gear bag searched for suspicious items and right away I thought my nut pick must have looked like a weapon because it's long and pointy. But nooooo, they were upset at the very blunt scissors in my first aid kit (I forgot it was there). But that's nothing compared to the trouble I had wearing a mini-skirt that had a metal belt permanently attached to it. They wanted me to take it off. The gear bag I'll grudgingly give up to check-in, but the skirt stays. :wink:

Marilyn

easysteve

Mar 13, 2003, 12:57 AM
Post #24 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Watch out for the nut tools, the security and National Guard ask questions.

itsreachyman

Mar 13, 2003, 5:03 AM
Post #25 of 30 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very funny, xinh. Long time ago, mini-skirts were an asset....

Anyways, I fly alot with my gear. They always give me grief (particularly about the chalk....) but once I explain (calmly, with smile) what the stuff is, they grab a climbing-familiar person, everything is A-okay. No one has ever taken my stuff from me or made me check it so far.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook