RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

danesherstad

Mar 9, 2003, 2:39 AM
Post #1 of 2 (771 views)
Shortcut

climbing in Nepal
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Howdy folks - I'm living in Kathmandu and would love to find some climbing (sport, easy trad, or boulders) - nearby or elsewhere in the country. So far I've found some fun sport and trad at Nagarjun and boulders scattered throughout the Himilaya (I'm currently working on a homemade crashpad). Unfortunately I'm not a confident enough trad leader to take off up unkown walls - yet. Any info (directions?) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much. Peace - Dane

clymbhigh33

Mar 11, 2003, 5:56 PM
Post #2 of 2 (771 views)
Shortcut

climbing in Nepal [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hiya Dane,

Well in Katmandu you are still pretty low in elevation (4000' +/-) to find some sweet crags....
I am not an expert on the area by any means (just been there a few times)....but I do know for some weekend trips, you should hop on a flight to Lukla, and then head out on the trail towards Phak Ding. You will find scores of crags for top rope set-ups. There are not many bolted routes (if any) in the region. Another source of beta may be to hit up some of the climbing shops in Thamel. Most of the Nepalese who run the shops there are educated in America, and should be able to point you in the right direction. I also have heard there are several local guide services out of Thamel that can take you out on multi pitch trad routes. I dont know of them personally...just what I have heard floating around out there.
The last time I was in Nepal was in late October for an expedition...We did some climbing and bouldering up above Namche on our way into the Himalayas. The rock up there was superb.... definitly some of the finest I have ever climbed!

Hope this helps....

Clymb On....
Clymb High..... 8)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook