Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Chunky Climbers, does your size limit you?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jumpingrock

Mar 12, 2003, 12:16 AM
Post #26 of 38 (2866 views)
Shortcut

Chunky Climbers, does your size limit you? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok well basically nobody would call me fat to my face except for me. I am 6'4 240lbs. I have recently being trying to lose weight. (Its not easy considering all the stress from school, work and other stuff) But I noticed when I came down from 250 my climbing level went up. However I still have a great deal of trouble with the roofs and over hangs. Recently I have been busting my butt in the cave and hopefully soon I will be much better at them... Only time will tell.

dingus

Mar 12, 2003, 12:40 AM
Post #27 of 38 (2866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am 6'4 240lbs. (snip) But I noticed when I came down from 250 my climbing level went up. However I still have a great deal of trouble with the roofs and over hangs.

That's easy. You need to lose about 6 inches of height too.

DMT

bontrager

Mar 12, 2003, 12:44 AM
Post #28 of 38 (2866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am 235 big ones and 6'2" i am not ripped but i am not fat. I would have to say that my weight has caused me to tear my pulley tendons on more than one occasion. When I was a waify cyclist, at 180 I was able to do finger pull up and hold on to stuff for long periods. But now at my weight I have to increase my training for fiinger strength all the time. I can push up with my laegs for days but holding onto overhangs and small holds becomes questionable.

When I bulked up I had to change shoes also, having to get stiffer soles, my mythos used to work fine. Now, if it the shoe isn't stiff with the additional weight my feet start to kill.

gymclimbfreak

Mar 12, 2003, 12:54 AM
Post #29 of 38 (2866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going to go out on a limb and admit that I'm on the heavy side. at 6'3 and 260 i am a "chunky" climber. And yes I have noticed that I am limited in my climbing. Part of it is that I'm still new, not skilled enough, and scared of popping off. I have noticed that I rely more on my arm strength to make up for my size. But, yes I am limited in my advancement, climbing some 5.8 after almost 6 months.. but yes...being "chunky" does limit a climbers ability...

just my $0.02

Tim

mesomorf

Mar 12, 2003, 1:48 AM
Post #30 of 38 (2866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello, my name is Larry...and I am an overweight climber.

I've never been svelte. My legs got the way they are by slogging up Tetons.

If I have one advantage as a climber, it's that I learned my technique when I was still young.

And having done this for over 30 years, I know how to keep my head cool when my mind is on fire (well, most of the time).

I can read the rock and tell how a section is supposed to be done, and whether or not I will be able to do it.

My ability to get up a given stretch of rock is in inverse proportion to its verticality. As long as my feet are under me, I hold my own. But the minute it tilts to overhanging, good-bye!

Those long cracks are getting longer, even though they're made of stone.

If I were ever to stage a comeback - and I'd love to do so - the first thing to do would be to lose this gut.

Well, the FIRST thing would be to get some willpower!

kristofor

Mar 12, 2003, 6:14 AM
Post #31 of 38 (2866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Two words: John Dunne.

That guy makes me realize that it's all in my head a lot of times. Anybody that can climb 5.14 with that body type has figured out something that the rest of us need to learn. Other people that inspire me: Dean Potter and ... I can't think of his name all of the sudden. Klem Loskot was what I was thinking was it, but apparently I'm not right as I just looked it up. Oh well.

Dean is thin, sure, but he's still 6'5". That's a lot of man to be hauling around. And ?Klem Loskot? is just strong. He's 6'5" too, and he cranks V14 at 225ish lbs. I'd like to think I could be that strong. But sitting in an office trying to run an environment where people can train and get strong doesn't mean you actually get strong yourself.

tanner

Mar 12, 2003, 6:45 AM
Post #32 of 38 (2866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm 6' 160lbs and I know if I was to put on ten pound I would feel really slow and weak

meataxe

Mar 12, 2003, 4:52 PM
Post #33 of 38 (2866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sure it's the same in climbing, but I have seen than a small weight difference can make a big difference in performance.

At 5-9 and 165lb. I'm definately heavy for my build. When I was competitive in mountain biking I started out at 135lb and bulked up one year to 140. With five extra pounds, I had a lot more power, I was faster overall and could power up short climbs in a big gear like I never could before.

However, what I lost was the ability to do long climbs at a sustained pace. I was definately slower on a very steep, long climb. I was amazed by the difference.

Now that I'm in climbing, I have to find a way to shed the extra weight. Most is fat, but I seem to have grown chest muscles that I never had before. Weird... because I don't do anything to build my chest.

toobigtoclimb

Mar 12, 2003, 5:58 PM
Post #34 of 38 (2866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I am going to have to weigh in (pun intended) on this subject. I go at 6'2" 260 lbs. That is pretty big for a climber, but I have been happily climbing for years. Overhangs are tough, but on the other hand, I stick to face like nobody's business. Weight is always going to drag you down in the vertical world.

Who cares? Just have fun.

climber49er

Mar 12, 2003, 6:55 PM
Post #35 of 38 (2866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Happy to know I am in good company! I'm also pleased to know that big guys can do pretty well in spite of the extra weight. I would love to drop 30 lbs but it's crazy, I can lose fat but I always end up heavier due to new muscle! I know thats probably a function of diet and training but quite frankly, I don't have the time in my life to become a religious training freak. I just want to climb and have fun!

I am also glad to know that my perception of my difficulty with overhangs and mantles is not my imagination. I positively HATE overhangs but I have been focusing hard on them, and guess what, I am improving! Wheeee!

mesomorf

Mar 13, 2003, 2:02 AM
Post #36 of 38 (2866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

meataxe,

According to this Body Mass Index calculator

http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/av.htm

you are in the 47th percentile. BELOW average.

crick

Mar 25, 2003, 8:14 PM
Post #37 of 38 (2866 views)
Shortcut

fat climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ive been climbing for 12 years. when i started i weighed roughly 200 lbs. I could climb the occassional 5.11. time passed, and i moved to an area with with shitty climbing and a climbing season a mere 3 months long, went to school, gained some weight. a little over a year ago, i weighed 260+ pounds. I have since moved back home. I found myself flailing on 5.9's, 5.8's and even found 5.7's pumpy on occasion. I have since reduced my weight to roughly 220, and am climbing 5.10's again. im not sure if this is because i took so much time off (less climbing per year) or because i lost the weight again, but i would definitely say it helps. One thing i always had, that helps tremendously is flexibility; I can't say enough about being able to highstep over your waist. if you can get your hips and legs supple, you will be able to do quite well.

miker

Mar 25, 2003, 8:32 PM
Post #38 of 38 (2866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

6' 2" -210 lbs
5.11 TR
5.10 sport
5.9 trad

But I would love to be 190 again and heaven would be the 170 I was in high school, but I think I would look emaciated and would lose most of my muscle as well. ces't la vie, looking for the perfect balance.

Biking gives me the strong legs and climbing strengthens the upper body now I just need to do more roof work so I can harden the abs and I will be set.

Miker
P.S.-I have airlifted many a waiflike belayer in my time as well.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook