RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

climbingcowboy

Mar 12, 2003, 10:41 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1195 views)
Shortcut

What grade free climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

is really mandatory to get up most of the beginer aid routes in the valley? I'll admit I only climb easy trad and dont have the time to really advance my levels do to work and my free time I practice aid climbing, but I really want to try a aid route in Yos this year and when I see ratings such as 5.10 C2 or such I wondered how much I have to free climb. Does it really just depend on the route? I'm sure I'll get flamed from some of you so go ahead.

kalcario

Mar 12, 2003, 10:58 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1195 views)
Shortcut

What grade free climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For doing big wall trade routes (Nose, NWF Half Dome, S Face Column etc) it is just as important to be solid at free climbing cracks as it is being efficient at aid, the main reason being these routes are crowded and you don't want to epic and piss people off. You should be way solid at leading 5.10c cracks, actually I'd say 5.11 for the Nose, because 5.9 or 5.10 feels harder with the 2 ropes, a bigger than usual rack and the pulley you will be leading with. I would concentrate more on that than on doing 1 pitch beginner aid routes, which, as you seem to have already figured out, are pretty mindless once you've done a few.

iamthewallress

Mar 12, 2003, 11:33 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are not the best free climber, the WF of Leaning Tower isn't too bad. The 5.6 friction is very moderate for the grade. The 5.7 on pitch 6 is really steep for the grade, but the holds are all there. Supposedly you can cam hook up this (or bring a hella long cheater stick to snag the first bolt). I think that there was a mantle on to the ledge at the end of pitch 9 too that was just one move of free.

twrock

Mar 13, 2003, 12:47 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm thinkin' "way solid at leading 5.10c cracks" is a bit exaggerated for the South Face of WC. :) SF is the "definition" of a beginner big wall route. If some "speed racer" heads up there and gets bent out of shape at the gumbies holding him/her up, it's "speedie" who needs to chill or go find a different route. He ought to know better.

Having said that, cowboy, Chris Mac's Supertopos will list a "minimum" free climbing number for any pitch that can not be completely aided. So you'd better be ready to do those moves "with the 2 ropes, a bigger than usual rack and the pulley you will be leading with." Sometimes a little trickery will lower the grade a bit, but don't count on it. Chris and his sources are most likely "in-the-know." And of course "being able" to free climb at a higher level will likely speed things up, make them easier, and increase your chances for success.

Just my $0.20 worth (inflation adjusted).

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook