RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

clymber

Mar 14, 2003, 1:14 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1278 views)
Shortcut

Falls on a rope
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

When a rope is rated to X# of falls what does the company consider a fall. For it to be rated a fall is it the same distance for sport and trad. I was out this week and took a few big fall and plus some from last year. One huge one about 40'

john1987

Mar 14, 2003, 1:23 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1278 views)
Shortcut

Falls on a rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would half to look up the length of the fall. It's in the rope section of climbing's gear guide. They test it for the most extreme falls possible so your rope will last much longer than the the x amount of falls that they say.

waggas

Mar 14, 2003, 1:43 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's been a few threads about this recently....

Basically, you're rope is rated for the number of "factor 2" falls it can take.

This is a fall of x-meters on 2/3 meters of rope
eg, 10m fall on 5m of rope.

Only possible when you're falling back past your belayer, without having placed any gear on a multipitch

solo

Mar 14, 2003, 2:10 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the number of falls indicated on the rope means "falls according to UIAA norm"
The following text is cut&paste from spelean.com.au, just because i am lazy typing it.

In reply to:
The UIAA test drops an 80 kg weight 5 meters on 2.8 meters of rope repeatedly at approximately five minute intervals until the rope breaks. To meet the UIAA standard a rope must survive a minimum of five falls. This test is a factor 1.78 fall, simulating a short, severe climbing fall. It represents a theoretical "worst case" fall combining impact forces and the effect of a standard carabiner edge. Since all ropes carrying the UIAA mark are tested in the same manner, this number (UIAA test falls held) indicates a performance comparison that can be made between two different climbing ropes.
When you consider the test conditions (short "active" length of rope, high fall factor and frequent falls), which happens very rerely in the real world, it is virtually impossible to break the rope by falling on it. Unless, of course, the rope is cut by a sharp edge on the rock.

bentsid

Mar 14, 2003, 6:10 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So is checking your rope for damage a better indicator of when to retire a rope? Like sheath damage, flat spots, etc, regardless of the number of intermediate falls?

waggas

Mar 14, 2003, 6:20 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

forgot to mention...

I've read in a few places recently that since the introduction of 'modern' rope technology (whatever that is... ) there hasn't bean a single case of a rope snapping due to fall....

All accidents involving a broken rope have basically involved old, worn out ropes, or ones that severed over an exceedingly sharp edge.

Or so I read....

alpinist

Mar 14, 2003, 6:55 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To answer your question, bentsid, you should always check your rope every time you use it. All you have to do is look at and feel the rope as you flake it out before a climb. In case your rope gets damaged during a long descent, it is helpful to rappel past a knot (assuming you isolate the damaged section with a knot).

Also use common sense, if you no longer feel comfortable climbing on your rope, don't do it.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook