RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

cantwinifyoudontplay2003

Mar 1, 2003, 10:26 AM
Post #1 of 15 (2738 views)
Shortcut

bridge jumping
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been into taking up to full length falls 165' and swings up to the same 165' off a few different Ca. bridges. One close to Sonora and another just outside Auburn. One time I just about met my maker when my rope sheath busted and left about 10 yes thats TEN feet of exposed cords.. I was on the jug back up when I found my rope in this not so good shape. Anyone into this fun? Don't try Auburn now they are on to it and you will get caught. $185.00 fine, BYE BYE gear and a year probation. Not the most fun. Don't ya just hate cops?

dig_scott

Mar 6, 2003, 12:46 AM
Post #2 of 15 (2738 views)
Shortcut

bridge jumping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thats what i was going to say,, its illegal.

onelung

Mar 17, 2003, 9:38 AM
Post #3 of 15 (2738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea that sounds like a riot, Over water? cool I am into testing what these ropes can do. Lemme think...yea lodi...there are a few wineries around there.
I wanna jump, night time to avoid the heat!
Cool,
Bill

Partner euroford

Mar 17, 2003, 10:49 PM
Post #4 of 15 (2738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so your into taking factor 2 falls on purpose???

melekzek

Mar 17, 2003, 11:02 PM
Post #5 of 15 (2738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it is factor 1 fall, since
the distance you fall/ rope length in the system = 1

If you climb 165 feet higher than the bridge and jump... err.... that makes factor 2....

ganjdolf

Mar 17, 2003, 11:31 PM
Post #6 of 15 (2738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:idea: here's a bright idea....go bungee jumping instead!!! It's probably a little safer....

meataxe

Mar 17, 2003, 11:41 PM
Post #7 of 15 (2738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could always just jump off the bridge without a rope.

Maybe not 165', but I've done 40-50'.

apollodorus

Mar 17, 2003, 11:46 PM
Post #8 of 15 (2738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of the strength in the rope is in the core. The sheath is there to protect it. Still, though, ripping the sheath of your rope is pretty hard core.

Do you jump off the opposite side of the bridge from where you've tied the rope, so you get a bit of a swing? Or do you just drop straight down?

I saw a film once of a place in Europe that had a railway bridge about 50m from a road bridge across the same deep gorge. These guys would tie in, and swing out and under the railway bridge.

Be careful of the 1000 foot Record Drop. That's the one that got Dan Osman.

xanx

Mar 18, 2003, 12:43 AM
Post #9 of 15 (2738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aye, although i would rather not see this turn into a dano thread, he was (from what everyone has said here) unquestionably [cyan]THE BEST[/cyan] at rigging anchors, and yet even he SCREWED UP and DIED!!

so chances are pretty good that if u keep pushing it, you till will end up climbing your way to heaven (as we know all climbers go to heaven 8) )

there are plenty of much safer ways to get that adreneline rush (i would count skydiving safer, actually.) maybe try BASE jumping? not so many things to go wrong... either your parachute comes out or it doesn't.

but good luck and have fun with it for now, and BE CAREFUL!

buttets

Mar 18, 2003, 1:01 AM
Post #10 of 15 (2738 views)
Shortcut

Bridge Jumping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use to bridge jump quite a bit about 10 years ago. It is a thrill for sure! We use to try to see who could get the closes to the ground, no water here. Not very smart to say the least and I'm glad I quit. But, you should use two ropes. Jump on one and have the second for a back up - just leave it a few feet longer then if the first fails you still have the second rope to catch you..

Have fun and try to be as safe as possible...

w6jxm

Mar 18, 2003, 1:28 AM
Post #11 of 15 (2738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rope jumping is progressive. No one here would go out tomarrow and jump the Rostrum with no prior experience. There is the bridge at Queen Creek that is about 200' high. It is really easy to set up a 50' swing from the base of it. Hell, some of us take longer lead falls than that. The only difference between a jump and a swing are the fall factors involved. As long as you progress slowly and have the adequate knowledge for the level you are at, then you can jump "safely" Rope jumping is an extention of our sport, just a base jumping is to skydiving. We don't climb because it is a risk free sport, just as base jumpers accept the risks involved. Rope juping has an element of risk just as does rockclimbing; it comes down to an accepted level of risk.

dlintz

Mar 18, 2003, 1:32 AM
Post #12 of 15 (2738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think I could justify buying a new rope just to trash it. Hmm, maybe the local hardware store is having a sale. :lol:

apollodorus

Mar 18, 2003, 4:02 AM
Post #13 of 15 (2738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dlintz, don't go to the hardware store. You can get old climbing ropes from eBay all day long for about forty bux. These are the ones that people are selling because they're scared to lead on them 8-o

And there is NO way that this thread can't involve talking about Dan Osman. He was the ultimate bridge jumper. And yes, the best at setting up the anchors. From what I understand, his accident occurred when he jumped hastily in the dark and his rope crossed another one (retrieval line?) and that sawed it in half. Ouch.

I don't think I'd have to worry about the rope breaking if I were to try bridge jumping. I think I'd be dead of a heart attack about 40 or 50 feet down. Or worse, I'd probably vapor lock from anxiety at the top and then fall off, already dead.

onelung

Mar 18, 2003, 4:21 AM
Post #14 of 15 (2738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea I would go for it with DD taking all into account and I land in water if it fails. Sure I wont live from a straight 200ft free fall into the drink, but with a energy a rope would absorb prior to parting ...I believe will make the splash liveable.
Yea We have learned something from Dan, I am in awe of the man, Thats why off a bridge is a great safety conscious change.
along with the longer second rope. I would make my dinner reservations.

Guys doing this keep in touch, I use to bridge jump as a kid, My little ego always required I climb higher than my buddies. or land closer to passing boats (crazy I know) BUT ohhhh a sooo fun!

Cheers,
Bill

Partner euroford

Mar 18, 2003, 4:44 AM
Post #15 of 15 (2738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
it is factor 1 fall, since
the distance you fall/ rope length in the system = 1

If you climb 165 feet higher than the bridge and jump... err.... that makes factor 2....

gotcha, thanks.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook