RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

dekenstructor1

Mar 28, 2003, 2:35 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1678 views)
Shortcut

Sore elbow...but not always
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Problem
Sore elbow
but (as you may have guessed from the topic) not always
it doesn't seem to correspond to the amount or difficulty of my climbs
sometimes, it is excruciating
other times, just a dull pain
and still others, it is non existent
please advise
:? :? :?

Partner phaedrus

Mar 28, 2003, 3:04 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1678 views)
Shortcut

Sore elbow...but not always [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm... I get the same thing. I tried glucosamine, but I don't think it helped much. I could also use some feedback/advice/suggestions on this.

matt18carnal

Mar 28, 2003, 3:16 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1678 views)
Shortcut

Elbow? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Guys, I've elbow surgery 4 times and still have a few problems from time to time. Where is the pain? Along the interior of the arm (near the epimedial condial) That's your Funny Bone, sure isn't funny when I nail it on the wall. I had that damn thing pinned back on and trust me it wasn't funny! Biceps Tendanitus may be the cause of your pain, all I know from experiance of injurys is the elbow is a very complex joint and rest always seems to be the best source of relief. As much as it may seem, rest and a little rehab could help!!! Well fellas, let me know if this helps?

Climbon

paulv7

Mar 28, 2003, 4:39 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1678 views)
Shortcut

Sore elbow...but not always [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I get aches in my elbows if I don't stretch enough before I climb. Traversing will almost always make my elbows hurt.

1. Pushups and other tricep exercises. Climbing mainly works your bicep you need to even out the muscles in your arms. Been doing this for 3 weeks now and does seem to help.

2. Stretching before and after you climb, The days I forget to stretch good and jump right on a route by the 3rd or 4th one I’m regretting I didn't stretch.

3. If you climb hard take more than 1 day off. Or take 1 day off but do easy climbs and work on footwork.

adkaren

Apr 8, 2003, 4:36 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1678 views)
Shortcut

Re: Elbow? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Where is the pain? Along the interior of the arm (near the epimedial condial) That's your Funny Bone, sure isn't funny when I nail it on the wall. I had that damn thing pinned back on and trust me it wasn't funny! Biceps Tendanitus may be the cause of your pain, all I know from experiance of injurys is the elbow is a very complex joint and rest always seems to be the best source of relief.

Just wanted to give you a resource for what might be going on with your elbow. You might have heard of it called "climber's elbow", which should tell you that you're not alone. I've had lots of friends struggle with this, though - knock on wood - I haven't. When you pull hard all the time or when you compromise the natural angles of your elbow while applying force at the same time, your smaller muscles(brachialis and pronator teres), your tendons (attaching muscles to bone, mostly at the medial epicondyle, can begin to get damaged, overstressed, and the tissue in/surrounding the elbow can get inflamed. You might have a bit of tendonitis. Tendonitis is hard to get rid of, and mostly responds, like someone else said, to rest. If your tendonitis gets really bad, the inflammation can compress the nerves that run past your elbow, and cause numbness/tingling/pain down into your lower arm and hand. This can be really hard to get rid of. Let it rest. Do some physical therapy if it gets bad, and concentrate on more alpine routes that don't require you to pull as hard. Those are my two cents. Good luck. Here's a website that can fill you in a little more: www.asmi.org/SportsMed/anatomy/elbow.html

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook