RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

cyberdragon

Dec 23, 2001, 7:13 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1504 views)
Shortcut

What to do when the odds are stacked
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Good luck finding a partner to "take u under their wing"
I'm sure u'll find one. Just go to the gym alot and make friends with the people there. thats the best way to find someone to climb with.

Later...

cyberdragon

maculated

Dec 23, 2001, 8:24 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1504 views)
Shortcut

What to do when the odds are stacked [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You know, that's actually my problem, too . . . I have a friend at college who got into climbing at the local gym and moved on to trad climbing from there, but I can't tap that resource. It really sucks What I'm doing in the meantime is hitting the gym on my own, and I have a novice climbing buddy and he and I go to it. I'm thinking about getting my own rope so I don't have to just boulder, wait for the whims of my friends, or hit the gym, but then there's the novice aspect of it - I really need to find a mentor.

In time, it will come. I'm a gal, too, and it's a boy's club for the most part. Just get out there, do what you can, and eventually the chips will fall. It's been my experience that if you want something bad enough, you'll find your way.

[ This Message was edited by: maculated on 2002-01-13 16:04 ]

graniteboy

Dec 23, 2001, 8:19 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look kid, I'll show U the ropes. But there are 3 conditions.
1) You hafta get up here to my mountain range and accept the fact that I will be the judge of yourbelaying skills , which I reserve the right to improve. (yes, in case any of you were wondering, I own the entire Sierra Nevada. It's my birthright for being born here and climbing here all my life...).
2) you will get to follow me on multi pitch routes in xchange for you belaying me on hard stuff. Equal time trade. There's alot for U to learn, and I'm always looking for belay slaves..
3) I like Guiness Stout. You will buy this. Not alot of it, cause I'm trying to keep this girlish figure of mine....

Drop me a line. In the mean time, read everything you can abt climbing. I suggest starting with "Mountaimeering, the freedom of the hills" cause it will give you some knowledge abt generally staying alive in the mountains, info which many purely rockclimbing books do not have.

squeeks

Dec 25, 2001, 12:42 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

belay slave? i like that one. anyways, you have nothing to worry about. you will meet plenty of people in the gyms. that is the best way to meet people. there are always people to climb with. no one needs to 'take you under their wing'. its about friends and trust which is something you will gain by going to the gyms and climbing with other people. just give it time and build your skills and technique in the gyms. you will also find out that its not mostly men. yes there is a lot of male climbers but there are plenty of women out there too. climb on and enjoy.

socialclimber

Dec 29, 2001, 9:27 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Granite, My opinion about you was distinctly neutral on account of your abrasive nature but if you like a meal in a glass and recommend "The Freedom of The Hills", you cant be all bad.

maculated

Jan 2, 2002, 10:55 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heh, I wrote that post not as a complaint- but as a reply to another post. Granite, thanks for the offer but I'm stuck at my present locale until next winter.

I went to Berkeley Iron Works on New Year's Eve and was extremely stoked to see that there were indeed about as many women as men - yay!

Thanks for such encouraging remarks. I just stumbled onto this website and it was nice to see how helpful you all are.

dustinap
Deleted

Jan 4, 2002, 3:06 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb at Iron Works a few times a week. I was there New Years eve too, you probably saw me taking falls on that overhung 5.12 there in the lead only section.

maculated

Jan 6, 2002, 9:28 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What scares me is that I think I know precisely what you look like. My buddy and I watched you for a while before we left. Very cool.

climbchick

Jan 6, 2002, 8:01 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey GraniteBoy, I'll be your belay slave and personally pour Guiness down your throat while humming your favorite drinking song if you'll teach me trad in the Sierra Nevadas

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook