RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

mistyofthemountain

Apr 16, 2003, 6:25 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1554 views)
Shortcut

Climbing with anklets???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK guys I have a question. Basically has anyone ever had a real problem or injury or know someone that has climbing with an anklet???

I'm not a big jewlery person but I love my anklets! I never take them off except the few times that more experienced climbers have told me "you shouldn't wear any jewlery while climbing". I of course don't wear rings or necklaces or braclets....but I just am having a hard time parting with my anklets??/ What do you guys think? Do you have any horror stories or something real that would make it necessary for me to part with my most loved trinkets?
Misty

iamthewallress

Apr 16, 2003, 7:54 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1554 views)
Shortcut

Climbing with anklets??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I doubt that any of those grim ripping-your-foot-off scenarios similar to the ring disasters would be likely. The most likely reason to want to take the anklet off in my mind is finding yourself further away from your last pro than you'd like to be on sketchy ground when the thing decides to snag on something in such a way that you can only free it by reaching down (which you can't do because you are on sketchy ground) or by ripping it off your ankle by brute force. At least that's similar to the way Murphey's law predicts snags for me.

aimeerose

Apr 16, 2003, 4:15 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've climbed in anklets some. It was fine. Just be prepared that you might lose them, so maybe don't wear the ones that you would be sad to lose.

granite_grrl

Apr 16, 2003, 8:50 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also maybe make sure that they will break off of you if they really do get snaged on something while falling or something else unperdicable.

I would think that in the realm of climbing jewlry that anklets would be some of the safer peices.

bigevilgrape

Apr 17, 2003, 2:50 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't go for it. Being the camp counclor that I am I always used to have friendship bracelets tied around my ankles. They would get caught in the loops on my shoes and in cracks, on holds ect. I think it was more of a pain then its worth.

mreardon

Apr 17, 2003, 6:42 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1554 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing with anklets??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My daughter gave me an anklet six years ago to remind me of her whenever I'm away on a climbing trip. In all that time I have never had one get caught on something or cause me any problems climbing (I climb 100+ days a year on trad, sport, and bouldering). The only problem I have experienced is that I do lose them every now and then, but they get replaced as soon as that happens.

Partner missedyno

Apr 21, 2003, 1:18 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1554 views)
Shortcut

anklets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I would think that in the realm of climbing jewlry that anklets would be some of the safer peices.

i agree. i think it's your call. probably depends on how tight/loose they are.... :?

mcmlxxxiii

Apr 22, 2003, 2:42 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1554 views)
Shortcut

Re: anklets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

months ago i took a piece of cord and a lighter and fused myself an anklet. its pretty stylin. i like to be reminded of my climbing interests when i'm not climbing and dolled up in heels. the contrast is funny. anyway, being that its cord, its not exactly gonna rip off so now that i've read this thread i'm worried if it should ever get snagged while climbing....

but i doubt it. i haven't run into any problems thus far. its pretty tight actually. either my ankle swelled in size or this cord shrunk some. what's great is that i can just cut it off with a knife and make myself a new one. and since its rather tight now....time for a new one. :D

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook