RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

cantclimbforsht

Apr 21, 2003, 2:03 AM
Post #1 of 21 (2642 views)
Shortcut

harness
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i have a black diamond momentum harness and the leg loops are a little big for me. i cant get a smaller harness because then the waist would be too small. im a wierd shape. normally its still comfortable even though it doesnt fit perfectly, but i've had one bad experience where i got my precious equipment caught in a leg loop. (i would like to have kids one day, so hopefully i'll keep everything intact down there) if im planning on starting lead climbing where i'll be taking longer falls is this going to be a problem? also are there any harnesses that have really small leg loops but still have padding? i know there are the ones without padding that are more adjustable. should i just use one of those? or is the best option to visit a sperm bank to make a deposit before i go climbing?

slab-dyno
Deleted

Apr 21, 2003, 2:10 AM
Post #2 of 21 (2642 views)
Shortcut

Re: harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You could just get a harness with adjustable leg loops. That should solve your problem, or just try on a whole lot of different harnesses, and I'm sure there's one out there thats bound to fit.

Hope this helps

Jimmy

hack

Apr 21, 2003, 2:16 AM
Post #3 of 21 (2642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Momentum harness with adjustable leg loops and they are quite handy. If you like the momentum you should look into getting it with the adjustable leg loops for a just a bit more $ :)

leader2

Apr 21, 2003, 1:45 PM
Post #4 of 21 (2642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check out the petzel corax. It has adjustible leg loops and has padding. It is so comfy.

geckoee

Apr 22, 2003, 1:06 AM
Post #5 of 21 (2642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Back Diamond Bod. Fits over anything on any shape body like a glove. Amsome harness and cheep!

Partner coldclimb

Apr 22, 2003, 1:14 AM
Post #6 of 21 (2642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would never buy a harness with non-adjustable leg loops. I don't even see why they make them. The Black Diamond Bod is just about the most adjustable harness that there is, so I'd recommend that.

cantclimbforsht

Apr 23, 2003, 1:19 AM
Post #7 of 21 (2642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the leg loops are adjustable, but they're still not small enough because if you make them too tight then the padding gets in the way. should i just stick to bouldering and free soloing?

Partner cliffhanger9

Apr 23, 2003, 1:36 AM
Post #8 of 21 (2642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yea...cantclimbforsht (haha nice name) i know exactly what u mean! i have the momentum harness with adjustable leg loops but when they are as tight as they go b4 hitting the padding, they are still a little big. fortunately they are not ridiculously loose on me and are still pretty effective

so... i guess i m a weird size 2 :!: :?: :?

good lucky and rock on!! http://216.40.249.192/...n/tongue/tongue3.gif

redpiton

Apr 23, 2003, 1:49 AM
Post #9 of 21 (2642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Beware of the new patzl harnesses....Yes, they are bomber but i've never been comfortable with the double buckle design. thats just an extra point of weakness that is not needed. They are probably bomber buckes and what not...so please, no ridicule because I know that half of the people reading this own one.

(they do offer the same type of harness with one buckle point, I know)

The legs loops, however, are very comfortable from what I have heard.

Best way to do it is to try as many as you can squeese your ass into. trial and error my friend, as long as the error happens on the ground :oops:

ikefromla

Apr 23, 2003, 1:59 AM
Post #10 of 21 (2642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i would never recommend anything less than a Petzl. ergonomic as hell. check them out, try on all models, maybe you'll find something just right.

gymclimbfreak

Apr 23, 2003, 2:05 AM
Post #11 of 21 (2642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I own the petzl corax and also the misty titan.. and really I love them both, but i think that I've fallen more in love with my new misty. It's got super padding on legs and waist belts. yes it's a double buckle but it is so totally comfortable. Try 'em all then decide

petsfed

Apr 23, 2003, 2:13 AM
Post #12 of 21 (2642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FWIW

All of the BD harnesses with adjustable leg loops, linked in one post. My advice: pull a solid $150 out of the bank and start trying harnesses on until you find one that fits. Approach it from a price is no issue standpoint if you want the best fit (as opposed to the anything fits for $30 outlook on life). I'm poor as hell, but it saves me in the long run because I'm not buying things twice to deal with fit.

apollodorus

Apr 23, 2003, 3:08 AM
Post #13 of 21 (2642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could use another layer of padding inside the leg loops to take up some of the clearance between them and your legs.

Some backpacks and carry-on luggage bags have shoulder straps with slip-on pads that are covered in fabric. Or a luggage store might have pads like this sold separately.

duskerhu

Apr 23, 2003, 7:55 AM
Post #14 of 21 (2642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, I think if you check in the Climbing Mag Gear Guide, there are a few harnesses that are available with separate leg loops... Meaning, you buy the size waist belt you need, and then buy the size leg loops you need separately. I don't right off hand remember the brands/models so you'd have to check.

Might be worth a try...

duskerhu

twospoons

Apr 23, 2003, 8:25 AM
Post #15 of 21 (2642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

about the BD Bod

my mate who's quite the climber has one.. his advice

"if you value your manhood don't buy a bod"

redpoint73

Apr 23, 2003, 11:40 AM
Post #16 of 21 (2642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a similar problem with The 2002 BD Chaos Harness. I used the medium size harness at the gym once. My jewels would get underneath the leg loop while I was climbing, then pinched when I lowered. Not fun. You definitely need to get a different harness if you want to lead, it can get ugly for the boys. Luckily, I Ebayed the harness, and got almost all of my money back.

Are you sure a smaller size won't fit you? I went down to the small, and it fits well. And I have REALLY skinny legs (5'10", 30" waist, 124 lbs.). As long as you have a minimum of 3-inches on the waist belt after doubling back, you should be okay. After a little while, the padding on the belt smushes down, so you should actually end up with more slack on the belt when the harness breaks-in. This happened for me after just a couple of times at the gym.

Alternatively, Arcteryx makes much smaller fixed leg loops. Petzl, Misty Mountain, Singing Rock, and Metolius harnesses all have adjustable loops. A couple people have suggested the BD Bod. Its a good, simple harness, but the leg loops are not padded. If you intend on hanging in your harness (working sport climbs, hanging belays, etc.), it can be uncomfortable. Particularly if you are a heavy climber. A few more bucks will get you a nice padded harness with adjustable leg loops.

argurl

Apr 23, 2003, 12:20 PM
Post #17 of 21 (2642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

don't let your harness make you :shock: anymore...

i have to agree w/ several other people about the petzl corax. i love mine and have been nothing but satisfied. i have larger legs from biking, and the fixed leg loops, on any brand/model, have never fit me. :?

that being said, everyone is unique so definitely try different ones to tailor a fit right for you. wish i had some more insight, but i discovered petzl early and haven't bought any other brands, although i have tried many, many on.

best of luck!

holmeslovesguinness

Apr 23, 2003, 1:59 PM
Post #18 of 21 (2642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed in a BD Bod for several years and had zero problems with it. Good harness for the $$, and it sounds like you definitely need adjustable leg loops. I recently retired my Bod and got an Arc'Teryx Targa. Super comfy. It has 'self adjusting' leg loops (with elastic sewn into them) which I was skeptical about at first, but they work great for me.

geckoee

Apr 23, 2003, 8:19 PM
Post #19 of 21 (2642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
about the BD Bod

my mate who's quite the climber has one.. his advice

"if you value your manhood don't buy a bod"

Sounds like he bought a harness that was too big for him. I have a 28" waist and wear an XS. You have to pull the leg straps snug (even if it makes your pacage stick out) or something is going to get snaged when you lay back at the top, or even worse, fall. If you get the smallest size that leaves you a little tail after doubling back the waist the leg loops can be adjusted just fine.

climb on!

petsfed

Apr 24, 2003, 12:56 AM
Post #20 of 21 (2642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Much as I love the Corax I think Petzl's size system is a bit odd. I have a large pelvis (for a guy that is). My girlish hips are much the laughs with my friends. I own a size 1 (that is, the smallest size available) and its nearly too big for me. Not the best harness for small people.

jakedatc

Apr 24, 2003, 6:28 AM
Post #21 of 21 (2642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had my BOD 4 yrs now (without much sign of wear so i shouldnt have to get rid of it anytime soon should i? top rope falls only) and have had no troubles with it.. no the legs arent padded but they are wide so it spreads out the shock more

so simple to put on also.. i'm always the first to be ready to climb as all my friends have either fixed or adjustable "step in" leg loops they get tangled up in and fall over.. quite amusing to watch :wink:
OH.. a thought :idea: if you're going to be lead climbing you should probably make sure the gear loops are user friendly.. some ive seen lately are kinda strange (singing rock's line)

But i'll agree with everyone else to try on all the ones in the store.. if they have a wall maybe they'll let you hang in it also

Good luck -Jake

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook