Premier Sponsor:

bigdrop

Apr 24, 2003, 1:52 PM
Post #1 of 8 (279 views)
Shortcut

A question for engineers:
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a question for all Engineers and Engineering Technologists.

What branch of engineering did you study?
What is your level of education (Technician, Technologist, B.Eng, P.Eng,)?
What do you like about your job?
What do you dislike about your job?
What is your job description (ie: cad jockey, design, sales, management)?
What kind of environment do you work in (ie: desk, inside, outside) ?

I just graduated as a Mechanical Engineering Technologist, and have enrolled at university to pursue my degree in Mechanical Engineering. I’m worried though! I have yet to see a job description in this field that I think I might like. So far as a technologist I have been used by all my employers as a CAD jockey :evil: , it hasn’t exactly been a stimulating experience :roll: .

I really look forward hearing your replies,

I need some encouragement :-P

Thanks

~jc

bigdrop

Apr 24, 2003, 6:00 PM
Post #2 of 8 (279 views)
Shortcut

Re: A question for engineers: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone :?: :roll:

robscate

Apr 24, 2003, 9:24 PM
Post #3 of 8 (279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am currently a mechanical engineering student persuing a Bachelors degree with a certificate in mechatronics and a minor in english.

if your worried about job potential just remeber that the US governement loves mechanical engineers. I know of at least 3 people who graduated and took excellent jobs with a contractor at an air force base.

just and example boein international hires m.e.'s to do vibrational and stress analysis on missle systems and airframes.

caughtinside

Apr 24, 2003, 9:55 PM
Post #4 of 8 (279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know a couple guys with engineering degrees who are now salesmen. One told me that the theory is that it's easier to teach and engineer to be a salesman than the other way around. They all make pretty good money.

Thing that's cool about being a salesman is that you're not always at the office. My buddy did most of his work over his cell phone. We surf a ton during the week. You can take 2 hours off almost anytime you want, if you make it up later.

geoteck

Apr 25, 2003, 4:17 AM
Post #5 of 8 (279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a geological technologist (it's considered an engineering technology). I have no problem finding jobs, but it's the interesting/fun jobs that are hard to find.

As a tech, I find I'm always considered an assistant.
While I'm sure this is not ALWAYS the case, I think it is more common.

You may luck out as a technologist, but if you really want to do more, I think you probably need the degree.

bigdrop

Apr 25, 2003, 4:52 PM
Post #6 of 8 (279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ugh! I just find my job so boring.. and the combination of being bored and being in front of a dang computer all day is making me MAD!

Well I’m only 2 years away from my degree in engineering, maybe the bump from technologist to engineer will provide more mental stimulation and less computer work.

Thanks for the replies.. keep them coming!!

~jc

granite_grrl

Apr 26, 2003, 11:51 PM
Post #7 of 8 (279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll graduate in Electrical engineering next December (only four months to go, oh baby!!). Don't really understand the next parto f the question, in Canada you're either and engineer or you're not, and after four years out in the field you can try for your P.Eng.

I've done a couple of coop workterms, one for General Motors and another for an oil and gas serivce company. Both were very hands on, but the second gave me no experiance in electrical field. I'm going back to GM for the summer. Last time I did a bunch of work with controls and some instumentation, which I think I'm going to go into when I graduate.

What I liked about the job: hands on atmosphere, we changed progamming and did installations and got to see the results. Car factories with lots of big robotic arms are cool. It's even cooler when you get to deal with them. I also like the pay, big company, big bucks (for a student at least).

What I didn't like: the company hierarchy was nasty, and I hated the city I was in. But that was just that one plant, we'll see how this other plant is when I get there.

justindonnell

Apr 27, 2003, 9:29 PM
Post #8 of 8 (279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm studying petroleum engineering right now. I think the term engineer is over used. An engineer to me has a degree. I work off shore as a sample catcher in the summers. I think its retarded when I go to get on the helicopter I have to write down my position and they make me put "sample recovery engineer". I think thats retarded. I think it takes alittle something away from those of us that are actually engineers. Oh well whatev.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook