RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

simzboardr

Apr 29, 2003, 2:29 AM
Post #1 of 20 (3875 views)
Shortcut

Pictures: Aid God Biner
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...n=Show&PhotoID=13359

This biner would rock!!

Simple: Slide your aider and daisy into the biner. Close the lower gate around them and lock it. Now you can twist turn and cross weight the hell outa the biner and its gonna hold the aider and daisy from falling out. You don't have to worry about them getting in the way anymore either. Let me know what you think

foeslts16

Apr 29, 2003, 2:44 AM
Post #2 of 20 (3875 views)
Shortcut

Re: Pictures: Aid God Biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you need to apply for a patent, it looks like you have put a lot of work into this, protect yourself, there is a lot of assholes out there

simzboardr

Apr 29, 2003, 2:51 AM
Post #3 of 20 (3875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donate some money to help andi will...its like 3,000 for a patent and thats the company taking 75 percent profit

dig_scott

Apr 29, 2003, 3:24 AM
Post #4 of 20 (3875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what happened to the picture?

peas

Apr 29, 2003, 5:21 AM
Post #5 of 20 (3875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I work in the intellectual property division of a company and most of our patents cost a lot more than $3000. Plus if you want to protect your idea outside of the states it will cost a lot more.

apollodorus

Apr 29, 2003, 5:30 AM
Post #6 of 20 (3875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your image link is broken.

The cost to file a U.S. patent application is about $250, and another $750 when if it is approved. Searching for prior art from 1976 forward is free on the internet (both US and some foreign patents). David Pressman's book, Patent It Yourself costs about $40.00 from Nolo Press, Berkeley, California.

If you hire a law firm to do your patent work for you, expect closer to $10,000 and a sloppy job that any hack can get around by modifying the invention slightly. Even $500/hr Century City attorneys are like that. They rarely take the time, and/or have the capacity to understand the invention and what needs to be protected.

Patents in other countries are even worse because you usually have to hire attorneys there, and can't file and prosecute the application yourself (like you can in the U.S.).

But, the largest market for most things is the U.S.

simzboardr

Apr 29, 2003, 5:56 PM
Post #7 of 20 (3875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey. i deleted the picture becasue i do'tn want to put it out there yet. Im working on applying for a patent and then i'll put it up

dave1970

Apr 29, 2003, 6:09 PM
Post #8 of 20 (3875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pete,

I do venture funding for a living. Let me know what you come up with.

iamthewallress

Apr 29, 2003, 8:19 PM
Post #9 of 20 (3875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you just published your scheme on the web, you may have just nixed your chances of getting a patent. :cry: At least that's why they make us wait until patent applications are filed before we go public w/ our work in Biotech...

peas

Apr 29, 2003, 8:50 PM
Post #10 of 20 (3875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you've published information, you are still ok to protect your ideas in the states. You get a 1 year grace period in which you can file for a patent after publication in the states. Elsewhere, you may be sunk.

Just for reference, the US Patent Office has a thing called a provisional patent that is like a preliminary step to filing a full patent. You don't need to put all of the details of a full patent into it and it is inexpensive to file. If you file a provisional patent before you publish any information on your invention, your idea is still able to be protected in the US and in other countries. You don't need to file a provisional patent before filing a full patent though.

rjtrials

Apr 29, 2003, 8:51 PM
Post #11 of 20 (3875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would contact seeking8a. I know he is a patent lawyer and a really cool guy.

RJ

calpolyclimber

Apr 29, 2003, 10:22 PM
Post #12 of 20 (3875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd love to see this thing, any way you could get your link up and running?
(not trying to steal your design)

simzboardr

Apr 30, 2003, 12:33 AM
Post #13 of 20 (3875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll put the link up later when i get some sort of security on it

But its comming

And its gonna rock

flamer

Apr 30, 2003, 12:34 AM
Post #14 of 20 (3875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should look into something called a "poor man's "patent.
It is simple and cheap. Basically you draw up the exact design, description etc. Then have it sent to yourself via certified mail, the key is to NOT OPEN IT! Patent's can only be issued to the original inventor, which is the premise for this method. Ofcourse it would obviously be better to research and file....but this is a temporary(I can't spell!) way of protecting your idea.
josh

simzboardr

Apr 30, 2003, 2:17 AM
Post #15 of 20 (3875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

they dont' allow that anymore because people were sending a blank envalope to themsleves and then adding in a drawing after it was made so it looked like they made it

apollodorus

Apr 30, 2003, 2:49 AM
Post #16 of 20 (3875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Peas is right about the U.S. one-year "grace period" with respect to public disclosure of your invention. Most foreign countries don't offer that. After one year from the public disclosure, NOBODY can obtain a valid U.S. patent on it. It falls into the public domain, i.e., it belongs to anyone and everyone. Basically, the USPTO requires a patentable invention to be new, useful and inobvious; one year after public disclosure, it's no longer new as far as they are concerned.

The real downside to an early public disclosure is that by disclosing it before you file for a patent application (or at least file a document of disclosure with the patent office), somebody else could file ahead of you. When you go to file, you would then have to prove you conceived of the invention first (and "reduced it to practice"; i.e. got it to work as intended).

Go to www.uspto.gov, and look up the Document Disclosure Program. It costs ten bux, and they will hold the disclosure in secrecy for three years. You can reference it with your application to prove you conceived (and reduced to practice) the invention by at least that date. You can also do patent searches back to 1976 there, including .TIF images of the patent drawings.

Many libraries have a copy (if even an older edition) of David Pressman's book, "Patent It Yourself". Ironically, the University library in my town (California Polytechnic) didn't have it, but the local community library did. This is the best book out there. It will give you a good overview of the whole patent game, and even if you hire an attorney (especially if you hire an attorney?) it will prove invaluable. Nolo Press, of Berkeley, California publishes it. You can buy it online at http://www.nolo.com. They also have a free online legal advice section at their website.

Finally, I would look at marine supply catalogs, especially those that cater to sailboaters. They've got all sorts of strange carabiners for sale, usually of stainless steel. Simply making one of those out of aluminum for rockclimbing would not qualify as a new invention. My father has these killer little stainless lockers that are used to clip a safety vest to the boat, so the waves can't wash you overboard. He sold the 35' Catalina years ago, but still won't give them to me.

EDIT: is your new biner like using duct tape to secure your slings to a regular biner, in terms of function?

atg200

May 1, 2003, 2:37 AM
Post #17 of 20 (3875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what is wrong with a keylock oval locking biner? works great for me - this is not a problem i stay up nights trying to find a solution for.

if you want to invent something, how about some sort of clean copperhead? super sticky bubble gum?

simzboardr

May 1, 2003, 3:06 AM
Post #18 of 20 (3875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

super stick gum huh? i'll take you up on that one... hmm maybe later though. Its not something i stay up late at night working on but it is sweet and if i can get it out there im sure you wouldn't mind having two of them

hans

May 1, 2003, 4:41 AM
Post #19 of 20 (3875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is it anything like the ones you'll find in the McMaster-Carr Catalog on pages 1358 or 1359: http://www.mcmaster.com/ ? Letter N is cool - you could probably put a wire gate on it pretty easily. :idea:

Do you think there's enough demand for this carabiner to warrant the hassle of patenting it? Are there other applications?

simzboardr

May 1, 2003, 6:18 PM
Post #20 of 20 (3875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those are close but not really at all. The design is much better though

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook