RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

vertical_planar

May 6, 2003, 11:23 PM
Post #1 of 21 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Come and see my 1's photos
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

this photo worths 1 according to someone...
http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=13393
And this worths a 2 according to someone else
http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=13031

I cannot understand why people are doing this :(
These photos are not that trash!

Partner one900johnnyk

May 6, 2003, 11:25 PM
Post #2 of 21 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Re: Come and see my 1's photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stop whining

mzllr

May 6, 2003, 11:40 PM
Post #3 of 21 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

second photo looks doctored up....

doughboy

May 7, 2003, 12:23 AM
Post #4 of 21 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How do you see what votes people gave your photos ?

psych

May 7, 2003, 12:51 AM
Post #5 of 21 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Both photos are definitely worth more than a 1 or a 2, that's for sure. I'd pin them in them 7 range...but tis the way of things here, there's always some *ss out there who'll give you a 1...
Mike...

extrememountaineer

May 7, 2003, 1:02 AM
Post #6 of 21 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, on the internet, and especially this site, people vote for their buddy's pictures and to keep their own pictures above yours...the votes have very little to do with the pictures themselves. Don't take it personally. Now that you have brought this out in the open, there are bound to be a bunch of people that will go looking for your pictures and vote them low just because...

bighigaz

May 7, 2003, 3:14 AM
Post #7 of 21 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've encountered the same problem, but usually it balances as the votes are tallied. I thought both pictures were fantastic, doctored or not! 10's all the way. The bouldering pic, though dark, has a nice effect with the lighting and shadows. Keep up the good work! I have now added Greece to my list of climbing goals.

James

rwaltermyer

May 7, 2003, 3:20 AM
Post #8 of 21 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can put as much trust into the voting system as the stock market...and remember I think some ppl think EVERYONE will give a photo a 10. Well--no matter what the pict is--if you're under that impression, time for a wake up call.

vertical_planar

May 7, 2003, 8:22 AM
Post #9 of 21 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whining?
Give me a break
My photos are definetly not profesional but still they are not 1s or 2s. All I was try to say was that the rating system sucks.
Just go on climbnow1's or orangeoverhang's gallery and see what rating their pictures get...

I am not sure that I understand what do you mean by doctored up. I have an ancient scanner so after scanning I have to use photoshop to correct the contrast. But even then the result is not always satisfing (like in the first photo)

rwaltermyer

May 7, 2003, 11:55 AM
Post #10 of 21 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well let me be honest vertical....
sure they're not 1s or 2s (okay we've established that their are idiots who vote that shouldn't).
but c'mon...these aren't in the same ballpark as climbnow1 and orangeoverhang.

I like the first one, my only complaint is how little of the climbers face is illumined...i know its the contrasty look, but still.

And the second one, well, sure the background is awesome, but compositionally, nothing special.

But also, look at your overall votes for these two pictures: 7.14 and 7.2, respectively. That's not bad at all. So don't sweat it when someone gives it a 1 or 2. The more votes you get, those statistical outlyers will hardly affect you ratings.

And finally, I always tell ppl this: Read the comments; they usually have more insightful things to say; rather than basing all you faith in an arbitrary number.

vertical_planar

May 7, 2003, 12:22 PM
Post #11 of 21 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
but c'mon...these aren't in the same ballpark as climbnow1 and orangeoverhang.

:o Dont get me wrong. I did not want to say they are! Actually when I said "visit those galleries to see what rating Orange and Jorg get" I meant their photos are hugely underrated for their real value!

Partner tim

May 7, 2003, 1:01 PM
Post #12 of 21 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wah wah.

Look, no matter what we do, people find a way to vote like tards.

First people started bombing everything. So we restricted voting to users who'd been members for more than a week, who posted a photo of their own, and who enabled voting on a photo of their own. Things got better.

More recently, curt pointed out that "gymnastic" style scoring (take the outliers -- highest and lowest 10% of scores -- and throw them out) would work better. Well it turns out that an even more accurate measure for ranking is root-mean-squared so that's what it's gonna be.

We're not going to stop people from voting what they feel like, and we're not going to be exposing people because that wrecks the integrity of the process. Overall, Neil and Jorg's photos are ranked consistently in the 8.5 to 9.5 range, and that's exactly where they should be, in the 95th percentile of all photos. Dirko and bvb and doughboy also stand out in my mind as people who've submitted some technically proficient and artistically magnificent shots, and they've been graded fairly, because as the votes accumulate, the truth tends to surface -- most people who are emotionally excited by a photo seem to vote their hearts. Only a minority are interested in strategizing about how to get their photos on the front page (and let's face it people, I wrote the queries, you DON'T understand how they work, even if you think you do... I guarantee it).

So, the upshot is that biff has once again undertaken to make the voting process more fair and equitable, without demanding any sort of bogus pre-qualification. Maybe in the future we'll start making it mandatory to leave a comment of > 40 characters, passed through a Bayesian bull shit filter, in order to register a vote that is outside RMS +/- 3sigma .

If you have a better idea, let's hear it. You say the voting system sucks? I challenge you to put your money where your whiny mouth is, and design a better one.

trbrts

May 7, 2003, 1:18 PM
Post #13 of 21 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Take it like a man. I've recieved bad votes as well for pics that I thought were pretty good. Who cares what they say.

krillen

May 7, 2003, 5:10 PM
Post #14 of 21 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Once that systems stated above is implemented will all past rankings be recalculated based on it? Or just new submissions? Just Curious.

One problem that exists RIGHT NOW, is that people submit a pic then vote it high so it gets seen. If it gets bombed right away the photo falls into obscurity hardly ever seen again to be voted higher. The majority of poeple don't look at people's porfolio's jsut the shots on the front page or top 25 or so ranked pics. Something to consider, the new system may address that already, I'm not sure.

Comments are where the real results are. It;s nice to find out what people like or don't like about the photos so you can improve...at least that's what I'm striving for.

rwaltermyer

May 7, 2003, 6:35 PM
Post #15 of 21 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this was discussed earlier:
if we delay the ability to view the votes until 2 weeks. so picts don't get sabotaged. that would help.

rock on tim.
randy

Partner tim

May 8, 2003, 2:06 AM
Post #16 of 21 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not me, really; I do some work on making the random selection for the front page both

1) truly random and
2) difficult to perturb by bombing/stroking

but the real heavy lifting on the photos page is, and has always been, done by Ryan Biffard ("biff"). He is the man because he has consistently put thought and effort into making the system better. People who have good, constructive suggestions for how the photo system can be made better and more representative should share them either here or with Biff directly.

To reiterate, biff is the man when it comes to the photo code on this site.

aimeerose

May 8, 2003, 3:10 AM
Post #17 of 21 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I for one, think it's lame that if you have a picture of a girl in a sports bra (Oli) it gets a better rating than a better pic of a guy climbing (the gorgeous shot of some guy bouldering in J-tree that's framed by a J-tree). It's ridiculous.

Partner tim

May 8, 2003, 4:03 AM
Post #18 of 21 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And I for one, think you're trolling.

Plenty of chicks have indicated that they voted a '10' on the shot of Olivia Hsu because it's outrageous, not because they're lesbians...

extrememountaineer

May 8, 2003, 4:11 AM
Post #19 of 21 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What do you get out of having your pictures ranked high? Nothing. Other than the satisfaction of seeing your pic on the front page for a few days. try posting pics on photo.net. Geez! I thought I was good until I started reading the critiques people were giving me. They hammered some of my "best" shots. Just be satisfied with your effort and what your photography means to you and try not to take it personally.

crackaddict

May 8, 2003, 4:32 AM
Post #20 of 21 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dude, on the internet, and especially this site, people vote for their buddy's pictures and to keep their own pictures above yours...the votes have very little to do with the pictures themselves. Don't take it personally. Now that you have brought this out in the open, there are bound to be a bunch of people that will go looking for your pictures and vote them low just because...

He V_P Take if from someone who knows all about how this site works. extrememountaineer had some of the best shots this site once. But someone managed to find something they did'nt like about them. I think they were just jealous!

vertical_planar

May 8, 2003, 8:42 AM
Post #21 of 21 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

extrememountaineer:

You are absolutely right about photo.net
The site has awesome pics...Thanks for the link :)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook