RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

guitar256

May 13, 2003, 2:37 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1814 views)
Shortcut

forearm aching
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It's been a couple days since I've been at the gym. Today i noticed my right forearm has been aching, it's not really focused in any location Most of the muscle there and a little up into my palm aches. This hasn't happened to me before, so can anyone give me an idea as to what might be going on?

Thanx

enigma

May 13, 2003, 5:48 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Re: forearm aching [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's been a couple days since I've been at the gym. Today i noticed my right forearm has been aching, it's not really focused in any location Most of the muscle there and a little up into my palm aches. This hasn't happened to me before, so can anyone give me an idea as to what might be going on?

Thanx

you don't mention how long you're climbing or many details,so my best guess is you strained it from pulling too hard on a hold,perhaps a little beyond whatever level you normally climb at. Take some advil and rest it before climbing again.
It's pretty common especially with beginners, your forearm muscles are Not accustomed to the pulling yet; so don't overdo it;
Feel better,its pretty normal. :)

cass

May 13, 2003, 4:09 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it will hurt for a while...
yeah probably what enigma said...take some rest and take it easy when you go climbing next

ptone

May 13, 2003, 4:28 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good old vitamin I...

I was talking with a climbing friend the other day--most of the climbers I know never complain, 'cept maybe about the weather...but we all hurt all the time!

Climbing is strenuous work! My friend was saying she'll go to bed at night with one thing hurting, wake up with another. I can relate!

Ibuprophen, as much rest as you can stand. Just know if you're climbing hard, you are stressing your muscles and tendons to their limits, and it's going to hurt sometimes.
Best you can do--always stretch and warm up easy, then after climbing stretch gently as your muscles start to tighten up. Ice can help and ibuprophen really helps, not just for pain, but to speed healing by reducing swelling (increasing the amount of blood that can reach the damaged area)

Peace,
-p

craggy

May 13, 2003, 5:21 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best thing for the achy arms? REST! If you are climbing huge amounts then rest... nothing worse for you then taking "vitamin I" and climbing every day for hours and hours... it just masks the pain and may lead to injury... rest, relax and come back stronger then ever. Minimize the number of hours you climb - the harder you climb the less time you should climb for. 2-3 hours max... then you can climb 4 times a week. Ibuprofen IS good for fighting inflammation - popping 2 pills before climbing is good but will not prevent injury!
Best thing to do is rest and take it easy.

granitegod

May 14, 2003, 3:13 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you have cancer.

Or maybe tendonitis.

ice. ibuprofen. warm up slowly. if it hurts, don't climb for two weeks, then climb lower angle stuff with big holds.

overlord

May 18, 2003, 10:25 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rest

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook