RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

branfarm

May 14, 2003, 7:41 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1541 views)
Shortcut

Keeping film bodies after buying digital
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone out there switched to digital and still needed their old film camera for any reason? I'm currently using a Canon A2 and I'll be purchasing a Canon 10D here within the next few weeks and I'm wondering if it will be worth it to keep my old A2 body around.

If anybody has some personal experience that they could share, it would be much appreciated.

alpiner

May 14, 2003, 8:03 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1541 views)
Shortcut

Re: Keeping film bodies after buying digital [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Only keep the film camera if you plan to give slide shows (film projectors are much cheaper), submit to magazines (most still don't accept digital files), want to make large prints or crop, desire to shoot ultra wide angle, or want images that are likely to be usable in 20 years (film is cheaper and better to archive).

branfarm

May 14, 2003, 8:19 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Only keep the film camera if you ... want images that are likely to be usable in 20 years (film is cheaper and better to archive).

Now don't take this the wrong way... but how is film cheaper to archive? You can fit 800 mb worth of pictures on one CD and they will store for years. As for the images being viewable in 20 years, I'm assuming your talking about advances in technology making our current jpeg's or RAW files obsolete. I'm guessing that even if imaging technology changed to the point where jpeg wouldn't be a supported file type anymore, there would be enough interim steps to allow for conversion between the types. What do you think?

psych

May 14, 2003, 8:32 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd personally keep it, but that's partly because I'm a pack-rat. But if you've used your manual camera enough, you'll likely miss the feel of it after a while. I know I do!

Slides are a big consideration too, not just for slide shows but for getting a super crisp image that you can submit to magazines, etc. Take National Geographic, for example. Last I heard they only accept photograph submissions if it's taken with 25ASA (ISO) Kodak slide film...because it's so clean, certainly cleaner than any digital can get. But then again sooner or later, everyone will switch to digital, once the quality is fully "there".

I'd keep it...you'll only sell it for a very small amount now anyways, used manual camera bodies don't go for a whole lot... :-)
Mike...

dirko

May 14, 2003, 9:13 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Spare EOS body? You could give it to me! 8)

krillen

May 16, 2003, 1:20 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't hurt to keep it around for a while to see if you will still use it. Plus you may want to switch back and forth on occasion to keep things interesting. Also if you carry both with a different lens, then you can swap back and forth between wide angle and zoom with out having to swap glass.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook