RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Canada

Premier Sponsor:

psych

May 16, 2003, 9:59 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1069 views)
Shortcut

Squamish bouldering, May 22-25
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I'm finally getting to scratch my road-trip itch and I'm heading out for a few days of bouldering in Squamish! Weee! I can't wait! Bummer that I can't find the Squamish Select guidebook around here in Kelowna, but oh well, I'm sure Valhalla in Squamish will have it (they better!). For now I've got a little booklet printed out by Dr. Topo...

I'm just going to be bouldering, I'm not comfortable enough to follow trad climbs and seems that's what Squamish is all about, though I'm open to sporting a bit...

So, first of all if anyone has any tips, let's hear them! Secondly, if anyone is around during that time and wants hookup for some easy-moderate bouldering that'd be cool! I'll be staying in the official bc parks campground (if that's what it is, it's the one that everyone talks about...and is listed on the bc parks website). Look for a silver Kia Rio hatchback and a Kelty Zen tent. :-) That'd be kinda cool to meet some other rc.com'ers while I'm out there!

I'm leaving Kelowna Wednesday morning, staying with a friend in Vancouver that night, and heading for Squamish Thursday morning. The bouldering shall commence the second I get setup. Leaving Sunday morning probably, but depends on how much fun I'm having and if I WANT to go back! ;-)

Mike...

psych

May 24, 2003, 10:15 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1069 views)
Shortcut

Re: Squamish bouldering, May 22-25 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Alllrighty, I came back early, bloody weather.

Spent the first night in Vancouver at a buddy's place, and had some of the finest all you can eat Mongolian food I've ever had (somewhere downtown Van, near Stanley Park...), and headed up to Squamish the next day. I know why people have called it "Squish"...man it's WET there! Go figure... ;-)

First day was a complete write-off for climbing, I didn't even bother checking the boulders out, though they were only a 5 minute walk from my campsite. Nice campsite actually, I was down at the far end, in the forest car camping sites, pretty cozy and mossy. That day I had my hands full just keeping dry, I'd somehow forgotten to bring a tarp, so I had to run down to crappy tire and BUY one...biggest scam of a tarp ever, the holes for stringing it up, one of them ripped the second it was weighted. Blah...the rest held at least.

Next day I was up at 6, after coffee I strapped the crashpad to my back and went to the boulders. The soggy, dripping wet boulders...it hadn't rained since sometime in the middle of the night, but they looked as if it was actively raining at that very moment. Water running down them from the vegetation above. Couldn't believe it...even the completely horizontal stuff, like Rat Rock (plural?) was soaked on the underside...must seep through the rock. Scratch bouldering for now, took the hike up to the first peak, that was a really good hike. Long, tiring, and with a GREAT view at the end. Opted not to hit peaks 2 and 3 as I'd only brought some crackers for lunch and they were gone. Next time...and the upper Shannon Falls, saw it from a distance and it looked really cool. Definitely worth checking out next time.

So around 6 or so that day I figure it's pretty warm now, I've even seen the sun a few times. Maybe, just maybe.....it'll be dry in the forest. Back on goes the pad, as I approach the Titanic boulder I think "Yes, it looks DRY!" noooo, it's completely soaked still. Possibly if I'd have brought a tower and could keep drying the holds, I might be able to semi-boulder on it...screw it, if this one's wet, the rest are gonna be wet too. Maybe if it doesn't rain tomorow they'll be dry.

I woke up this morning to rain. Grr, fine, be the way! Packed up camp and left.

I enjoyed the trip a lot actually, it's a really nice area, and a lot less bearsign than anywhere in the Interior which is refreshing. Next time I'll pay more attention to the forecast though... :-)
Mike...

Forums : Climbing Partners : Canada

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook