RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

vertical_reality

May 23, 2003, 1:04 PM
Post #1 of 19 (2071 views)
Shortcut

How Spiderman Does It
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A couple of my friends and I were watching the movie "Spiderman" last night and they started asking if the way Spiderman climbs is like real climbing. One of the guys that has climbed before and said that Spiderman wouldn't be able to climb like they show him becuase of the special techniques used by climbers like flagging and turning that keeps your body close to the wall. He said that everytime Spidey takes one of his hands off his body should swing out (barndooring to some extent) but in the movie he doesn't, he just stays glides smoothly up the wall. After thinking about it for a second I realized that it Spidey can probably climb like they show.

Forget the fact that he has those little thingies sticking out of his hands and stuff, it's his strength that enables him to move the way he does. Everyone knows that he can benchpress a car, leap over tall buildings, whatever... so just imagine how much core strength or body tension he must have. I'm sure that with his strength, his own body weight wouldn't be that hard to control. So everytime he takes one of his hands off his body tension would keep him in place.

Yes, I know its a stupid post, it was just kinda funny at the time.

madriver

May 23, 2003, 1:11 PM
Post #2 of 19 (2071 views)
Shortcut

Re: How Spiderman Does It [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

.....your right.....

........look at Batman....when he climbs his technic is weak and he usually peels....and his cape saves his a$$....

signed...

The Joker :roll:

alpinerock

May 25, 2003, 1:36 AM
Post #3 of 19 (2071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some people have way too much time on their hands...

sid_rock

May 25, 2003, 2:03 AM
Post #4 of 19 (2071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Spiderman can climb up a vertical slab of glass, sideways. Clearly, Spiderman's extra-ordinary climbing skills have nothing to do with body tension and grip strength, but with his ability to make his fingers stick to any surface. Scientific analyses of surfaces climbed by Spiderman suggests that his pores secrete a SuperGlue like substance which, bonding with the surface at the point of contact, can support a weight several times that of an average superhero.

PS: Spiderman cannot leap over tall buildings, although be could probably leap over a schoolbus or an overpass.

xanx

May 25, 2003, 2:26 AM
Post #5 of 19 (2071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah i think even alain robert would have problems holding onto the stuff spidey does...

ptone

May 25, 2003, 5:30 AM
Post #6 of 19 (2071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With your fingers secreting superglue you better be able to carry several times your bodyweight.

You could get that much stuck to you in one good night on the town!!

( :oops: ...sorry ma, should've scraped that off on the curb...)

richardiii

May 25, 2003, 11:54 AM
Post #7 of 19 (2071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought Spiderman had a whole lot of little hooky things sticking out of his feet and the palms of his hands - guess what he's been up to ;)

Kind of like crampons I guess. That and the whole body tension thing.

Would he be classified as an aid climber though? He keeping sliding up those ropey things.

iangraham

May 25, 2003, 12:32 PM
Post #8 of 19 (2071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Insects and spiders use a different mode of climbing than us humans. Due to their small size gravity has almost no effect on them and proportionally they are far stronger than us (i.e. a man sized fly would kick all of our asses). On their feet/legs/hands/appendages they have lots of little hairs, sorta like our toes, but proportionally a lot smaller. These hairs grasp hold of irregularities at the microscopic level on surfaces. Sort of like a climber holding onto a 1mm nob on a wall with his fingers, except that the climber has hundreds of fingers and each is holding onto a separate nob. because of the low pull of gravity and their exceptional strength insects and spiders can use these hairs to climb most sheer surfaces, but not all surfaces. Some insects may also exude sticky substances to further aid their climbing ability. A balance must be struck though as if the substance is too sticky then the bug will glue itself to the wall. Spiderman uses this mode of climbing.

Based on this the future direction of the climbing will be gene therapy aimed at creating climbers with wildly hairy palms filled with sticky gooey stuff....

Maybe spiderman was not bitten by a spider, maybe Peter Parker simply had no luck with the girls...

Ian Graham

jebel_andi

May 25, 2003, 12:44 PM
Post #9 of 19 (2071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you guys know spider man isn't real wright ?

ajkclay

May 25, 2003, 1:56 PM
Post #10 of 19 (2071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I KNEW that all of those nights alone on the 'net would be useful for something!

Now with my super hairy and sticky palms I'm ready to take on Sharma, Graham et al..

If only I were more flexible, I could get sticky, hairy feet, and wouldn't need shoes! :P

corpse

May 25, 2003, 2:02 PM
Post #11 of 19 (2071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Something I always wondered... When they show how spidey is able to climb, meaning, with his stiff spider fur protruding from this hands, what about his feet?? Is he doing 1 arm pull-ups all the way? Cuz like, he wears when he first grows his hand stubble.. and that would require major about of foot stubble to go thru the shoes?? And his shoes aren't like, biological, so they can't grow their own arachnofuzz :roll:

I wonder how spidey would get some "action".. hmmm.. ya think he wraps is plaything in a little spidey cocoon and haves his way? No need to handcuffs, just a little spidey silly string and it's all good!

ajkclay

May 25, 2003, 2:13 PM
Post #12 of 19 (2071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

corpse, I don't think you are a very well person. :lol:

ajkclay

May 25, 2003, 2:30 PM
Post #13 of 19 (2071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not saying it was stupid, just guessing that we are dealing with one sick puppy in mr corpse, lol

Edit: actually I always wonder about his feet too! 'Cos it sure does look like he's got a sole in those spider booties of his, so what's going on with the feet sticking? You would have thought they'd give him flexible feet like those booties you can get for babies with the non-slip rubber stuck to the soles (I'm talking about movie continuity here).

corpse

May 25, 2003, 2:34 PM
Post #14 of 19 (2071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm well, it's my brain that is a tad bit twisted - hehe.. Hell, I'm the only living climber around called a corpse :shock: And yes it's a stupid thread, I feel even dumber than when I first woke up..

Any other strange spidey theories out there?

corpse

May 25, 2003, 2:38 PM
Post #15 of 19 (2071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
(I'm talking about movie continuity here).

yeah, uh huh, sure you are.. you are so sick, you make me feel like a priest... oh wait, that's not good either..

ajkclay

May 25, 2003, 2:45 PM
Post #16 of 19 (2071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, picture this-

Spidey has this nasty Upper respiratory tract infection.

Spidey sneezes, and automatically puts his hand up to his face to be polite.

Imagine the mess, gunk going from face to hand in big green stringy bits, and web going from hand to face.

Mess everywhere, and no pockets to keep some kleenex in that suit. :?

ajkclay

May 25, 2003, 2:48 PM
Post #17 of 19 (2071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when you say you feel like a priest, does that mean you are going to go out and find one to have, or am I going the wrong way with that assumption?
Cos that's sounds pretty sick too. :lol:

ptone

May 25, 2003, 2:57 PM
Post #18 of 19 (2071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What do you mean,spiderman is not real :shock:

Iwas afraid to try it, but I've got this friend, a coupla quarts of beer and he'll...well, he's come in handy for testing our theories before. We'll leave it at that.
Wanted to test the theory that those furry hook-up palms come from, ahem, well, you know the drill...
Friend worked hard at it (or so he says)
Just ended up with a limp...
So much for the old wives tale!

But more seriously,
Boy, spidey can jump like there's no tomorrow hey?
Doesn't need to climb at all.
Just dyno's from belay station to belay station!

:wink:
-p

corpse

May 25, 2003, 3:07 PM
Post #19 of 19 (2071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ajkclay - I can't say.. I don't swing that way, not in the slightest, I prefer overaged girls (not the eldery though, yet).. At least I didn't talk about my holy water. oh wait, I guess I did bring it up.. See, damnit to hell, no matter what I say, you can always draw some kinda bad picture out of it.. I need to get outside... The lack of sun is making my brain malfunction and my skin rot.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook