RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

jcs

Jan 7, 2002, 11:31 AM
Post #1 of 1 (971 views)
Shortcut

Tendonitis, how to prevent injuries?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey Eric!
I cam relate! As you probably already know, this is a REALLY common problem with climbers. Not sure exactly what it is that is bothering you- I think that you will need to be more specific to get any specific advice. I'll tell you what I know though.

I've had chronic golfers elbow (that is when the tendon on the inside of the elbow hurts- it is called tennis elbow when it's the outside tendon that hurts) ever since I started climbing. My lack of technique and over reliance on pulling (60 extra pounds!) probably started it. It has been constantly getting more acute as I continue climbing on it.

Right now I am in Thailand- supposed to be on an extended climbing trip in Railey, but my tendon just cant handle the strenuous overhangs there. After I got to Krabi and discovered I couldnt work on all of those projects that I had in mind I took two months off of climbing and went to Nepal, hoping that the time would allow my tendon to heal. My second day back in Krabi I felt the old familiar pain starting again- on a fairly easy, but steep, climb. So I have decided to stick as much to slabs and vertical faces as possible, for as long as it takes for this to heal. When I get home I am going to see a physio who is knowledgeable about climbing injuries. I have heard of people being forced to take a year or more off of climbing because of tendon injuries. I dont want this to happen to me!

So, my advice is to see a physio as soon as you can. Stop climbing if you feel pain- whatever you do dont take Tylenol or Advil and keep climbing! That will just make it worse (believe me, I know )! Also, there have been lots of other people on RC.com with the same problem- check the data base for stored threads about this. OK, that is all that I can think of- I know it isnt all that much, but hopefully it willl help. Good luck.
JCS

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook