Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

alpinelynx

May 24, 2003, 4:33 AM
Post #1 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

tanning?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, my name is Michelle and yes, I use the tanning booth. My story begins like so many others, I fear. I was tired of funny looking tan lines and the sunburns. Innoncently, I decided a few tans would help eliminate the problem. Now, I just love being a little raisin. Have I become what I used to make fun of.. those women who 'buy' their tans without having to 'work' for them? I'm afraid of what will come next.. bleaching my hair? tight ultra low-rider jeans? implants (gasp!)?

is there anyone else out there?

(okay, I'm bored)

m

Partner missedyno

May 24, 2003, 6:04 AM
Post #2 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Re: tanning? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

when i was in my teens and gave a damm about looks i went to a tanning booth. then i realized how strange i looked in winter with a tan.

then i worked retail and saw enough old ladies with fake tans and lots of wrinkles.

then my mom had a cancerous mole removed from her leg.

i'll never forget that day -- driving my mom to the cancer clinic. the smell there. the green people. have you ever seen someone with cancer? here i am, barely old enough to drive, and they come out to the waiting room to get me, putting me in charge of my mom. i go into the room where she's sitting... trying to keep her dignity. her little backless "johnny" gown on, still with her little navy pumps, and clutching her purse on her lap. they didn't get all the cancer, they have to operate again. looked like they did the surgery with a spoon!

sorry chicky. if i'm outside in the sun by default, that's okay. but i won't lie out to bake, and i won't go to the tanning salons either.

youth is beauty, isn't it? isn't that enough?

don't live for today, live for tomorrow.
but it's your body. do what you want, and i'll do what i want. power to us all for knowing what we want.

zeta

May 24, 2003, 11:07 PM
Post #3 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yep, i am way down on the tanning thing. I'm 29 and i've already had 2 basil cell carcinomas surgically removed. I am the classic candidate--freckles, pale skinned, and blue eyes--and while it *is* pretty common to get basil cell when you're over 60 yrs. old, it is bad news to get so many at such a young age! I had a big time wake-up call on this a few years back.

I always have used sunblock--but still always got sunburned a little. I didn't think much of it then--skiing and climbing means I'm always get sun exposure. I was told by the dermatologist that i should *never* wear tank tops outdoors (but i still do b/c i can't imagine climbing in a baggy t-shirt)! I have to go to the derm. every 6 months...i'm now neurotic about my sunblock--i have tubes of it in the car, bags, backpacks, jacket pockets...everywhere.

I'm not trying to scare anyone but i think people really need to wake up and realize how scary and easy it is to get skin cancer. Being on snow and water (where it takes no time at all to get a burn) plus just being outdoorsy...this just makes it easier.

And for Fawke's question--about ideals of beauty...etc. Excellent question. Since when is it so beautiful to be tan? ...a lot of ultra tan people in LA look old and worn. Anyways, just be careful out there and be happy with how you naturally look...

granite_grrl

May 24, 2003, 11:27 PM
Post #4 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On the flip side of the skin cancer fears you get someone like my father. He has psoriasis, so during the winter he goes to the dermatologist every 3 weeks and, well, tans. The dermatologist checks him over, and he has never had any problems. In the summer he lays out in the sun (and no, creams and other treatments do not work for him). The point of the matter is that he has been doing this for years (I remember it from me being a kid, so let's say at leat 15 to 20 years), and he has never had skin cancer.

Not to say you shouldn't worry about it, heck I fry when I'm out in the sun so I'll always try to stick with the sunscreen. Even summer when I do get a lot of sun I'm still very pale, so I don't see the point in laying out purposely to get a tan.

rckclimbergurl

May 25, 2003, 1:24 AM
Post #5 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya, I'm what you can call the "classic" fair skinned person. Red hair, freckles, blue eyes, and PALE skin!! I don't exactly like being as light as I am, and I do tan a little bit, but mostly I just get lots of freckles in the summer. The thing I hate most is that you always have to put sunscreen on, and you stink like it!! You always have to put some on, and others can just chill out in the sun and not have to worry about it. But, I must say, there's this girl at my school, that "fake 'n bake's", and she looks awful!! Like, the skin colour itself is nice, but just compared to all the others in the school, it looks so fake, (well, it is.)

Power to the white people!! (as in fair skin, not being rascist here!)

8)

eowyn1025

May 26, 2003, 12:45 AM
Post #6 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dunno...i love being tan but the tanning bed is just not worth it anymore. i went in high school and looked great but now that i look back at those days it scares me to think what i was doing to myself. i'll lay out now for a few minutes a day just to get a base so i don't fry at the beach but i've heard too many of the skin cancer stories...just don't want to go through that. besides, as someone else mentioned, i don't feel like being one of those leathered old women someday who are so wrinkled and brown it's pitiful.

ecocliffchick

May 26, 2003, 9:07 PM
Post #7 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I must say, I'm guilty of going to tanning salons too, though only as a pre-vacation precaution. I too am a very (VERY) pale person - my skin is almost translucent in the winter I'm so pale, and any time I head to a sunny destination I just get burned to a crisp my first day out, regardless of how much sunblock I put on. Before my fake and bake precaution I would have to spend the next two days indoors recovering from my first day on vacation- every time. But when I get a base of two or three tans at a salon, I don't burn at all and find I can enjoy my vacation - still lathering on the sunblock mind you.

zeta

May 27, 2003, 12:58 AM
Post #8 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yup, i do *hate* having to constantly put on sunblock (and reapply and reapply) while others don't even have to think about it. And I don't exactly love being so pale skinned--especially growing up in southern california where there was so much pressure to be tan! But i got over that after high school/college.

Just a recommendation on a good product i use... It's a sunblock/moistureizer for daily use. It's not greasy, a little goes a long way, and it works really good to prevent burns... It's called "Elta Facial" and you can order it from the company Sun Precautions (it *is* pricey, it used to be cheaper a few years back but one container lasts me at least a year)

good luck!

bigevilgrape

May 27, 2003, 2:36 AM
Post #9 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a lifeguard, in about 2 or 3 weeks I will spend about 35 hours a week standing on a metal dock on top of the water watching kids swim and baking. I lather up with the sun block in the mornings and at lunch, head to toe. After every time I get in the water I do shoulders and face. I had tan lines until past january this year. Its one of the reasons I don't wear bikinis. (i have to wear one peaces at work) I'm scared to death that I'm going to get skin cancer. As much sun block as you put on, It washes off as soon as you hit the water (there is no such thing as water proof sun block no matter what the bottle says) I'm better then I was in my early teens, and I only get one or two minor burns (the ones that disappear in a day or two) a summer, as opposed to the nasty peeling burns I have gotten in the past.

enigma

May 27, 2003, 4:12 AM
Post #10 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm a lifeguard, in about 2 or 3 weeks I will spend about 35 hours a week standing on a metal dock on top of the water watching kids swim and baking. I lather up with the sun block in the mornings and at lunch, head to toe. After every time I get in the water I do shoulders and face. I had tan lines until past january this year. Its one of the reasons I don't wear bikinis. (i have to wear one peaces at work) I'm scared to death that I'm going to get skin cancer. As much sun block as you put on, It washes off as soon as you hit the water (there is no such thing as water proof sun block no matter what the bottle says) I'm better then I was in my early teens, and I only get one or two minor burns (the ones that disappear in a day or two) a summer, as opposed to the nasty peeling burns I have gotten in the past.

Skin Cancer is a real danger, Truthfully I'm surprised that anyone would go to a tanning booth on a regular basis..Especially an outdoorsy type climber, who must be getting enough sun climbing. :wink:
I usually use sun block too,and if I don't I'm sorry because it damages your skin. :idea:
Sun Poisoning sucks too, I just don't understand why you do this Michelle, tell us.please :roll:

alpinelynx

May 28, 2003, 12:30 AM
Post #11 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Skin Cancer is a real danger"

I did not know that. good thing you're here to help me out.

"Truthfully I'm surprised that anyone would go to a tanning booth on a regular basis..Especially an outdoorsy type climber, who must be getting enough sun climbing. :wink: "

Interesting.. I've seen women with manicured nails send harder then the boys. Also, define for me the Standard Outdoor Girl, please? This particular girl likes to be clean when I'm not climbing, wear pretty dresses and also, I really like my favourite lipstick. I also like to cut trees with chainsaws on my rest days. Oh, and I also colour my hair and have huge tattoos. My point? If you put me in a pigeon hole stereotype, I'll make like one and take a crap. But then, you must be an eagle.

"I usually use sun block too,and if I don't I'm sorry because it damages your skin. :idea: "

Really? I didn't know that. thanks for the tip.

"Sun Poisoning sucks too, I just don't understand why you do this Michelle, tell us.please :roll: "

Okay, I will, since you've been so sweet as to ask, as well as demonstrate sincere concern for my well being. Can't wait to meet ya. Planning any trips to Yosemite? I hear the DNB is fun, but I suck, so you'd have to lead.

In all seriousness, I grew tired of the blistering sunburns, sunscreen only goes so far, as pointed out in another post. I actually don't want to get cancer and I feel like if I keep getting super-burnt, I will. I eased my way into a tan in order to combat the major burns I get at the beginning of the season. Since the suns been out (FINALLY!) the past couple of weeks I haven't tanned, don't need to. I was curious as to what other people had to say. Sure I'm vain, to some extent, but not so much that I am attatched to being tan all of the time, my decision was based primarily in practicality. I spent the entire weekend working outside (nope, not climbing) and nope, no major burn.

lazygirl

May 28, 2003, 2:19 AM
Post #12 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's something funny, I live in Vegas and even in the middle of the summer when it's about 120 degrees out I see people walking into tanning salons. It's pretty funny that they waste their money on that. I understand if you don't want tan lines but I still think it's funny.

Here is some advice on sun products that I've found work the best after almost 9 years of frying in Vegas heat.

For all you people who burn really easily or don't want to be darker at all. I recommend coopertone sport. It's great for climbing because it doesn't make your hands very greasy, sure, it does a little, as will any lotion type thing you put all over your hands, but it's not nearly as greasy as other sun screen. Not only that if you get the high SPF like in the 40s or more you won't burn or tan almost for sure. In fact you're more than likely to stay the exact same skin color you were before you went in the sun. This is what I've noticed with everyone who has used it. It's expensive but if you're in the sun on a regular basis it's worth it. I don't use any other sunscreen.

But if you do burn one day, a really good product is Estee Lauder's After Sun Rehydrator, it comes in an orange bottle and has aloe in it. You put it on after you burn and it completely cools down your skin. Apply it enough and you won't even peal. I use it whenever I forget to put on sunblock and the only time I've ever pealed was when my burn was seriously bad. I had been standing out in over 100 degree heat with my back to the sun for almost 5 hours. You could see the hand marks from where I had put the sunscreen on my shoulders and not put any on my back.

I'm sure where most of you live the heat isn't as bad as it is in Vegas, but I hope the advice helps some of you.

katydid

May 28, 2003, 12:28 PM
Post #13 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm fair enough that I burn wearing anything less than SPF 50, and tan with the 50 on. Short of coating myself from head to toe in zinc oxide or wearing a burqa, I'm going to get color of one sort or another. (Although I keep hoping that my freckles will just grow together until I just LOOK tan....) Another good sunscreen with high SPF is Banana Boat Sport. I think Neutragena (sp) makes a 60, but BB makes a 50 that holds up well to sweat and crud. Even so, don't forget to reapply regularly.

In addition, you can...

Wear light colors. Sounds stupid, but it helps, as light colors reflect and dark ones absorb.

Find UV-resistant clothing. They make it. It costs a bunch, but not as much as the medical bills for skin cancer treatment.

Wear a hat. I joke about my "lucky baseball cap", but truth is, I wear it for sun protection. I even wear it under my helmet when I'm climbing.

If you do get burned, moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Aloe vera is your friend. So is drinking tons of water. And if the burn is bad, a little vinegar splashed on the burn will make it feel much better (and make you smell like a pickle).

And don't forget sun protection for your eyes. Wear those UV-treated sunglasses, folks. You only get one set of eyes. Treat 'em well.

k.

Partner missedyno

May 28, 2003, 1:27 PM
Post #14 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Find UV-resistant clothing. They make it. It costs a bunch, but not as much as the medical bills for skin cancer treatment.

question: what about a long sleeved cotton t shirt? i realize that it isn't "uv proof" but it's gotta be better than a tank top, yes?

oh and thanks to all who posted about good sunblocks, it's on my list of things to get. since i don't burn i barely wear sunblock past spf 8 or 12. but i'm going to change that this year...

wonderwoman

May 28, 2003, 10:47 PM
Post #15 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Being of swedish descent, the thought of a tanning booth just makes my skin start to bubble! My ancestors saw the sun for only six months out of the year, after all...

I can't tan! I am either a pale sickly white or an angry lobster red. So I am the one at the crag slopping on the 45 spf sun screen and hiding from the sun like a mole.

It's no fun, but both my grandmother and aunt had skin cancer on their face and had to have chunks of skin REMOVED!!! Let me reiterate: CHUNKS OF SKIN OFF THEIR FACE REMOVED!!! Call me vain, but I don't want to be the next one to get it in my family.

I am jealous of all you gorgeous women with your copper colored skin. It's no fair!!!

gblauer

May 28, 2003, 11:25 PM
Post #16 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am with you wonderwoman...The higher the SPF the better. I hide from the sun, wear long sleeves, pants and a hat all the time. I can't stand being in the sun!

lazygirl

May 29, 2003, 3:52 AM
Post #17 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am jealous of all you gorgeous women with your copper colored skin. It's no fair!!!

Don't be jealous, pail skin can be very beautiful, sometimes even more so then tan skin, like Snow White, she was the prettiest one in all the land remember. You probably look just as gorgeous as anyone who has dark, tan skin.

blueeyedclimber

May 29, 2003, 12:53 PM
Post #18 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wonderwoman IS gorgeous. I get to look at her everyday, I should know. I love her pale, white, Swedish skin.

Josh

granite_grrl

May 30, 2003, 1:55 AM
Post #19 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Wonderwoman IS gorgeous. I get to look at her everyday, I should know. I love her pale, white, Swedish skin.

Josh

Ha Wonderwoman, you're jelous of all the copper skinned women out there when you're getting attention like this? I think I know of something you have that makes some other women jelous... ;)

moabbeth

May 30, 2003, 2:30 AM
Post #20 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't go to a tanning booth...they're just as bad for you as the sun itself. A study just came out last week that showed you get the same harmful rays off those things as you do from the sun. While a healthy tan glow is always nice, it's not worth the risk of developing cancer. There are those bronzer lotion products today that can give you a tan glow - albeit they don't last long but they're a lot better for your skin than the sun or tanning beds.

And if the danger of cancer isn't bad enough, think about wrinkles. Sunscreen is a good good thing.

Partner missedyno

May 30, 2003, 1:16 PM
Post #21 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought sunscreen today... took the advice to buy a "sport" lotion... i'll see how it goes... hopefully i don't squeek off any climbs...

mwbtle

May 30, 2003, 1:27 PM
Post #22 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm another member of the pale team. (english, scottish, irish, german, norse heritage - yep, I've got ALL the pale blood)
Seriously, if there is any light in a dark room, I absorb it and glow, I'm so pale.
I tend to not avoid the sun, I go out in it, always with my sunscreen though. I've got some freckles that worry me some, I hope they don't turn out to be anything bad, but I try to keep myself unburnt for the most part, so here's hoping.

In general, I don't like tanning places. I can understand if you want a base tan so you don't get super burnt, but its still not something I'll ever do. When I see the older women at the beach who look 60 years old but have children well younger than my 16 year old brother...I wonder why they don't notice that they look so terrible. But you know, everything in moderation. As long as you are attempting to be safe about it, no worries, just make sure you pay attention to freckles and moles, you know.

rivercityrni

Sep 7, 2003, 8:47 PM
Post #23 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Edit

calliope

Sep 8, 2003, 2:18 AM
Post #24 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you've gotten this response more than once so I'll keep it short. I don't tan. In a booth. In the sun. With bronzers or lotions. I'm Scotch-Irish with the red hair, pale skin, and freckles that entails. I tanned when I was younger. I played outside all of the time and never wore sunscreen. I'm 27 and have had two pre-cancerous moles removed. The thing with skin cancer is that it's 100% preventable. It's a stupid thing to die from. And people have died from it.

Moderate use of tanning facilities probably won't hurt you if you have a skin type that reacts well to natural sun. If you don't, you're still absorbing all of the harmful UV rays you'd be getting in the outdoors.

I'd examine the reasons for doing it though. Do you enjoy it? Does it relax you? Is there another activity you could get the same benefit from (a massage maybe?). If it's the pure aesthetic value of having darker skin, I don't know what to tell you. Cover your face, use SPF, and get used to checking your body for freckles or moles that have changed.

Take Care of You.
Angela

dalguard

Sep 8, 2003, 3:37 PM
Post #25 of 34 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess some of you missed this news:
Sunscreen 'increases cancer risk'

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook