RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

vertical_planar

Jun 3, 2003, 10:25 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Rating criteria
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I would like to know what are your personal criteria when you are rating photos.
Some of my thoughts:
Composition, Action, Quality
or even:
Symbolism, Background info and howit relates to the shot...

Lots of people will argue that rating in itself is not important.
What I am trying to find out is what people appreciate in a "good" climbing photograph

Partner philbox

Jun 3, 2003, 10:42 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rating criteria [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well as this is a climbing site I rate the pics that appear here mostly on how well they demonstrate the action of climbing. Another high criteria of mine is how sharp the details of the rock and the relationship of the climber moving over that rock. How well are all the various elements composed within the captured image. I like depth and the relationship of the surroundings so that I have hints as to where in time and space the climber is.

Those hints don`t have to be much but I feel they should be there for some of the pics I like. Of course I am fairly eclectic when viewing pics so I like any well composed photo really. The bigger the better as i can really start to see the texture of the rock and how the climber is attached, what sort of gear he or she is using etc. I think a pic should tell us a story, it should be taking us on a journey and tell us something of where it has been.

...Phil...

Partner tim

Jun 3, 2003, 10:49 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1) does it elicit a emotional reaction from me?
2) how strong of a reaction and what sort (good/bad)?

those are the only criteria I use. I sometimes comment on the technical aspects of the photo but as far as actual ratings, I mostly give out "9" or "10" ratings to images that I find exciting, adventurous, and make me scratch my head saying "how the fuck did he do that / take that shot / live through that?" or "god damn that's beautiful".

It's supposed to be art; I judge things accordingly. (I hold my own photos to the same standards, which means that a lot of my favorites are not other peoples' favorites. Tuff.)

Partner coldclimb

Jun 3, 2003, 10:54 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I see it, and I'm like "wow" I give it an eight or nine. If it pops up and totally blows me away, drops my jaw, bugs my eyes, and triggers the "I need to climb right now!" reflex, I give it a ten. If I'm asked to rate someone else's pic, or I'm bored and going through rating them, I go by what I feel. Usually the technicalities don't enter the picture, it's just gut reaction.

krillen

Jun 4, 2003, 5:34 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1.) Emotional Response
2.) Composition (Out of focus shots are VERY distracting)
3.) connection to the subject (being able to see them working for the move, seeing their eyes, connectgin with the beauty of the area.)
4.) Colours (Washed out colours bother me, esp. on my own photos.)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook