RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

wook

Jun 3, 2003, 4:33 PM
Post #1 of 13 (2138 views)
Shortcut

Turning my truck into my home; HELP!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is for all you "live outta yer truck" types...as i will be doing the same thing shortly...

I have a Tacoma with a raised topper and will create the coolest, most badass "camper" this side of the Miss.

Anyone have any suggestions that they have seen/done/thought of to make a good space? --Obviously beyond putting 2X4's and plywood across the bed.

What Id like to do is:

-put in some sort of system where I can flip the truck bed from sleep mode (ie. plywood in place) to gear/travel/hitchhiker mode (ie. maybe half of the plywood in place; nice bench, too)

-have built-in storage compartments behind (against the cab) the wheel wells

-sand bags or some other weights over the axels (lots of winter driving here in CO) and some way to secure them

what are some other options for creating a plywood bed surface? 2X4's are really bulky and awkward when trying to move them. perhaps metal rods or something? im not a metal worker, and im sure you could come up with some elaborate system given the time and materials.

it'd also be cool to have some sort of slide-out/swing-out table to cook on and stuff. and a roll-up bug screen for summer use. and nifty little overhead compartments...

please give me your suggestions/ideas!!

ps. ill probably get one of those heavy-duty ladder racks for the exterior and put a bubble space case on top, as well as ski racks and a cargo basket. oh yeah, for the skiers out there: has anyone ever built ski racks that would mount to the side of the ladder rack? interested....

thrillseeker05

Jun 3, 2003, 5:20 PM
Post #2 of 13 (2138 views)
Shortcut

Re: Turning my truck into my home; HELP! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as the exterior lumber rack idea I wouldn’t suggest using the space box or rocket box type compartments on top. Instead get a full size cargo basket like the Yakima load warrior and some large zip dry bags. The hard plastic compartments cannot expand or be stacked so if it doesn’t fit you are screwed. The cargo basket you can load more up and if you need to keep it dry just have it in the dry bags. A full sheet of 5/8” thick plywood would be strong enough with minimal 2x4s as support for your bed area. Lastly I suggest hooks. Lots of hooks. Good luck.

bandycoot

Jun 3, 2003, 6:07 PM
Post #3 of 13 (2138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ive figured out a pretty good system for truck camping in my 1996 ford ranger with a camper. I have these platic bins that are about the height of the wheel wells. I put 7-8 of them in the bottom of the truck bed and other similarly sized items until the bed of the truck is all the same height. Then, I put a Metolius XXL crashpad (which has the exact dimensions as my truck bed) on top of this and I have a perfectly flat bed. I cover the crashpad with a blanket so that no one can tell I have anything important in my truck while I'm away and the functionality of it all is PERFECT! I can just pull the crash pad up or out to access the bins, and the bins make a great way to organize gear/food/clothing. any large items (like coolers) get moved to the front seat while I sleep. My wife and I plan on living it in for 6-12 months in a couple years when we quit our jobs to travel for a while :D Everything is perfectly movable, and so we can change stuff whenever and however we want. It works GREAT!

Josh

clymber

Jun 3, 2003, 6:32 PM
Post #4 of 13 (2138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can try to make the bed raised and the area under it you can make drawers on sliders..i saw one like that up at lions head in canada...sone know if you want to rough it while camping but you might want to think about a way to possible hook up a hose for water and a way to plug in electric incase you are at a campsite that has that stuff...nothing better then sitting in the camper when its raining and have light to read ,play cards ,games or write a bit....iy you do put the electric in you can get a sombo dvd/tv to put in it also...i remember seeing a article in a old copy of rock and ice or climbing where the guy had a full size dodge ram and converted it into a camper..

valygrl

Jun 4, 2003, 2:26 PM
Post #5 of 13 (2138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have that same truck setup, tacoma w/high topper. If you can drop some $, look for a L.A. Carpet Kit (can't remember what L.A. stands for, it's some guy's name). It is a system with two boxes on the sides of the bed for storage, and removable boards in the middle, which create a trough that you can put bins in. I got super lucky and found one of these things online used. I think they cost like $300 new, yuck. Or if you are a good carpenter you could look at the pictures and then make one. I really like it. I think Melissa got hers at Capways in northern california.

good luck.

anna

vertical_reality

Jun 4, 2003, 3:08 PM
Post #6 of 13 (2138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is basically what my Dad did when he modified his truck for his fishing trips.

First he framed a bed with 2x4s the length of the cab, about a foot high, and about 1/3 of the width of the cab. He designed the frame so that it fit snug against the side of the cab and around the wheel well. He closed up the two sides facing out with plywood and for the top he just cut a peice of plywood to size and hinged it to the bed, this way he could use it as a storage area. So when you opened up the bed top and looked in you could still see the cab floor and the wheel well and stuff. Also inside he made 2 slots to allow peices of plywood to slide down breaking up the storage area into 3 sections. The plywood in side was removable to seperate stored goods if needed. Then for the top of then bed he just got some thick foam to sleep on. That took care of a storage space/bed.

Once he finished the bed he started on a "kitchen" area. Basically doing the same as he did before, he framed a box to fit flush with the bed and the front of the cab, forming an L shape all together. In the front of this box he put in some doors and on the right side of the top, he found a small tub, suitable for a sink, and cut a hole to fit but did not seal it, so that the sink was removable. He kept the peice that he cut from the hole and on the inside of the box underneath the hole he fasened 4 blocks of wood with a single screw in each to act as a catch when turned. That way he could take the sink out, turn the blocks of wood and set the wood back in place to make a flat surface.

For a table he simply used some plywood and made some folding legs and kept it put away until it was needed.

Hope this helps,
Mike

krillen

Jun 4, 2003, 5:24 PM
Post #7 of 13 (2138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have the head room you might want to go with a single sheet of plywood across the rails. Very quick, easy and cheep.

More complex but along the lines of what you are looking for, try builing a frame out of 2x2's (strong enough but half the weight of 2x4's ;) ) and laying plywood squares ontop of it. the squares should have velcro pieces to fasten it to the frame when needed but allow easy access to that specified section below it. The squares should fir together to allow you a flat surface to lay on ( atherma rest really helps this).

You will also want to make sure that the playform is high enough to house any rubbermaid or plastic cases you may have. Mine is 13" high, which enables me to slide milk crates in and out underneath the frame. This is really nice, because it helps you keep little things organized, esp. kitchen stuff.

For a kitchen you can make a slide out island with a swing down leg so you have this island to setup your stove on, and the rest of the tail gate to use for prep or sitting.

Good luck, the best way to learn is to give it a shot and try a few short trips with it before you committ to anything.

bluelip

Jun 4, 2003, 7:18 PM
Post #8 of 13 (2138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you have the head room you might want to go with a single sheet of plywood across the rails. Very quick, easy and cheep.

Do you use any supports to stop the droop of the plywood?

Mike Coles
'bluelip'

krillen

Jun 5, 2003, 1:14 PM
Post #9 of 13 (2138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you aren't worried about weight you'll want to go with 3/4". This "shouldn't" sag (unless you are pretty heavy), but play it by ear. If you are really worried you could have a couple hinged swing down legs that you can fold up to get out of your way when you didn't need them

Personally I went the frame route (having a little 4cyl. I was mainly concerned about the extra weight and gas milage). And my plywood Squares or panel access doors, are made of MUCH thinner plywood. Since none of them are bearing much weight individually I'm not too worried about it.

The problem with mine is HEAD ROOM! Another reason I went the frame route instead of ontop of the bed rails.

Cheers

nobody

Jun 5, 2003, 4:07 PM
Post #10 of 13 (2138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The fancier you get, the less room for gear. Those pre-made kits seem to be a victim of this - there's too many compartments and frame components.
I, too, considered using action packers of the same size with a bouldering pad on top. But the problem was that there ended up being a lot of unused space between the boxes, and what about stuff that doesn't fit into one of the boxes? Or when you have a bigger box than the others, like a cooler?
The best I've seen so far, for simplicity and space for your stuff:
1. drill into your truckbed's rails in 3 or four equal increments.
2. hang vertical supports from these points to a point level with the top of the wheel wells. these supports can be wood or metal. any hardware store sells L-bend metal with holes all along it which is great for this.
3. attatch an horizontal rail (again, choice of material) to these vertical supports, running the length of the truckbed. these can be installed at any height along the vertical supports, and can be easily moved up and down. you've essentially duplicated the truckbeds rails, but they're one or two inches inboard so they don't interfere with your topper, and they're adjustable in height.
4. cut three pieces of plywood the width of the truckbed, but a third the length. rest these on the rails, and put your xxl bouldering pad on top.

this system sleeps two, and can be easily removed (the plywood should rest easily between the wheel wells when turned 90 degrees and placed on the floor of the bed). if your topper has lifting side windows, it's silly-easy to access stuff close to the cab. and there are NO frame supports or other junk getting in the way of your storage space!

stonefiend

Jun 6, 2003, 12:01 AM
Post #11 of 13 (2138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i simply put a twinsize mattress between the wells (tacoma 4x4) and tupperware bins in the 4 slots where the wells create spaces. i put miscellaneous gear in the rear boxes toward the cab and put food and climbing gear in the other 2 bins near the tailgate. the size of the bins allows me to put a small trashcan next to the food and 2 gallonsize waterjugs next to the climbing gear.

The skis go in my thule pod and the other gear goes in the extracab. i'm still considering the platform though to give me more sleepspace with my gf. plus having 2 crashpads makes it a pain to transfer everything out when i sleep.

iamthewallress

Jun 6, 2003, 12:04 AM
Post #12 of 13 (2138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I paid less than that for mine, but Valygrl got quoted a higher price. Shop around, I guess. I got mine at Campways in Suisun City, CA case you want to search online.

thomaskeefer

Jun 6, 2003, 4:24 AM
Post #13 of 13 (2138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rock and Ice had a pretty tricked out truck that they gave te specifics on a few years back in the Road Trips issue. They had some decent plans and pics to make everything you could ever ask for in a road tripping mobile... well I guess not everything since you cant make a pickup into an old vw splittie...

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook