Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Accidents not caused by human mistakes...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

mauta

Jan 9, 2002, 3:17 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1913 views)
Shortcut

Accidents not caused by human mistakes...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,
i want to know aproximatively, from the total of climbing deaths, what percentage is not responsability at all of the climber and his partners. In others words, how many fatal climbing accidents could not have been avoided or prevented?
For instance, climbing gear in good condition failing, big rock falls, avalanches in a not likely place, etc.

Thanks for your opinions,

JUAN

paulc

Jan 9, 2002, 4:01 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1913 views)
Shortcut

Accidents not caused by human mistakes... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not having my copy of the latest Accidents in NAM, I can't really tell you a firm number I would estimate at less than 25% though.

The main natural hazards are avalanche and rock fall, followed by exposure and lightening.

Now this all depends where you are. If you are in Red Rocks or Zion then you are unlikely to get caught in a 'lanche, but rockfall is a possibility.

Also keep in mind that there are times when a natural hazard can be seen ahead of time and avoided. I would probably count this as a human error situation as the climbers could have done something about the situation. If you are climbing on crap rock then you take the risk that rocks will fall on your mellon. If you are climbing on granite then the likely hood is a lot less and therefore I would call than a natural hazard type of accident.

It kinda depends on your definitions.

Paul

If anyone is really interested I will try to dig up some more stats regarding this issue, either from the AAC site or out of the book.

kman

Jan 11, 2002, 8:10 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1913 views)
Shortcut

Accidents not caused by human mistakes... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a rather general question. Well said:

"Also keep in mind that there are times when a natural hazard can be seen ahead of time and avoided. I would probably count this as a human error situation as the climbers could have done something about the situation. If you are climbing on crap rock then you take the risk that rocks will fall on your mellon."

I have a copy of ANAM infront of me so I will do my best to break it down for you. Don't have much time to do this right now so I won't go into detail.

Between 1951 and 1999 there were a total of 5829 REPORTED accidents in North America ( Canada and US ) of which 5074 occurred in the states and 755 in Canada You americans are dangerous Out of the total 5829, 4930 people were injured and there were 1453 deaths. There were too many contributing factors for me to list. And some may argue that some of these causes were / were not avoidable, so I won't get into it. I'll list a few causes of injury / death though.

avalanche - 373
exposure - 254
lightning - 47
equiptment failure - 13

Statistically, September seems to have the highest amount of accidents with the fewest in December. For immediate causes of injury, fall or slip on rock takes a whopping first place with 2856. Next is 1015 caused by slip on snow / ice. And third, falling ice, rock, or object with 641.

Hopefully this answers some questions you may have.

Kman

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook