Premier Sponsor:

asaph

Jun 6, 2003, 6:46 AM
Post #1 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Chauvinism
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's really starting to get me angry around here. Threads entitled "Taking the chick climbing", phrases that include feminine attributes as a suggestion of inferiority and speech patterns that denote women as objects or that they exist only for the purpose of giving sexual pleasure. I'm seeing this almost everywhere on the site, but I don't see much objection to it. It's gotten to the point that I'm having a very hard time remaining calm enough to continue even visiting the site.

Any other thoughts on this? Am I alone in my objections here?

niceporch

Jun 6, 2003, 7:16 AM
Post #2 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Re: Chauvinism [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chill out baby.

i think you're overreacting. anytime i say chic, babe, or whatever, i don't do it with the intent of talking down to women. i do it because using the terms 'girl' and 'woman' sound somewhat bland. i think most people use these so called chauvinistic terms out of habit rather than blatant chauvinism. what makes us want to be chauvinist is when pissed off chics like yourself give us something to pick on. relax, there are bigger things in the world to worry about. if the bad bad language of this forum has you THAT angry, then leave. i doubt that you can change anything.

asaph

Jun 6, 2003, 7:26 AM
Post #3 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How depressing a message... 'one person can't make a diifference'. To clarify, I'm not a woman, rather a concerned man. Also, by remaining complacent in things such as sexist discourse, society reinforces 'old fashioned' ideals. I'm not saying that most of the people here actively subscribe to sexist ideals, in fact I would say that most of the people when asked would disagree with the messages insinuated by their own speech. I'm just saying I would really like to see a greater amount of discretion used in the majority of posts here.

bumblie

Jun 6, 2003, 12:24 PM
Post #4 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
To clarify, I'm not a woman, rather a concerned man. Also, by remaining complacent in things such as sexist discourse, society reinforces 'old fashioned' ideals. I'm just saying I would really like to see a greater amount of discretion used in the majority of posts here.

Hey Asaph,

Do you sometimes have that "unfresh" feeling?

katydid

Jun 6, 2003, 12:25 PM
Post #5 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use terms like that all the time, and I'm most definitely a girl. :mrgreen:

I rather like "chick", and I use "babe" as a term of affection for both men and women (and am not adverse to calling an attractive version of either a babe, for that matter). A "climber chick" is a completely different person, culturally, than a "climber woman", for example.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but as a woman I find it interesting that it's usually men who object to this sort of terminology. Or at least, the women who DO object aren't speaking up.

Any girls* out there who object to this particular terminology? If so, why?

Me, I'm a climber chick! (And I'd be flattered if someone thought I was a climber babe....)

k.

*NB. I'm not opposed to using "girls" in the sense of community among women of any age. It's when it's used to deprive a woman of her adulthood that I don't like it. In the climbing community, the word appears to be used mostly in the former context. End feminist rant. ;)

mwbtle

Jun 6, 2003, 12:40 PM
Post #6 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While I've noticed some chauvinism around here...I tend to ignore it if I can.
Chick and Babe don't bother me. Unless I think its meant to be derogatory. In which case I verbally abuse whoever said it.

I think that chauvinism happens a lot when women are willing to put up with it. If you don't take it, it happens less often. Especially when you verbally emasculate whoever it is being chauvinistic. So I ignore it unless its directed at me, because I figure we're all big girls here, and can take care of our selves usually, or can ask for help if need be.
So anyways, thanks for the concern. Its great that you worry about that, but as far as I am concerned, you don't need to. If the chauvinists get too uppity, we'll let them know. :)

bumblie

Jun 6, 2003, 12:50 PM
Post #7 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Katydid and Mwbtle,

Nicely put.

rocko

Jun 6, 2003, 1:30 PM
Post #8 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought women belonged in the kitchen...

calfcramp

Jun 6, 2003, 1:40 PM
Post #9 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was going to as Asalph to take her top off, but he's a guy? That spoils everything...

bumblie

Jun 6, 2003, 2:23 PM
Post #10 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Actually, "chauvinism" is more applicable to aggressive or fanatical patriotism, jingoism. ..... It also has to do with the unthinking belief in the superiority of a race, party, sex, etc.

I think Rodney King said it best....

rocko

Jun 6, 2003, 2:24 PM
Post #11 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn it feels good to be a gangster?

climbinganne

Jun 6, 2003, 2:41 PM
Post #12 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I thought women belonged in the kitchen...

breakfastbarsex4lyfe!!!!!!

jaylaka

Jun 6, 2003, 2:42 PM
Post #13 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's really starting to get me angry around here. Threads entitled "Taking the chick climbing", phrases that include feminine attributes as a suggestion of inferiority and speech patterns that denote women as objects or that they exist only for the purpose of giving sexual pleasure. I'm seeing this almost everywhere on the site, but I don't see much objection to it. It's gotten to the point that I'm having a very hard time remaining calm enough to continue even visiting the site.

Any other thoughts on this? Am I alone in my objections here?

i identify as a liberal and a feminist, but personally, i would call myself a "climber chick." and yeah, as katydid said, "climber babe" would be a compliment.

it's all about the connotation - is it complimentary or derogatory? and with most loaded words, the power comes in owning it, you know?

in the "taking the chick climbing" thread, i tried to offer him him real advice (and ignore his other 'issues' which i think will ultimately screw up any effort he makes towards taking said chick to rock, but anyway.)

jen

niceporch

Jun 6, 2003, 3:10 PM
Post #14 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How depressing a message... 'one person can't make a diifference'. To clarify, I'm not a woman, rather a concerned man. Also, by remaining complacent in things such as sexist discourse, society reinforces 'old fashioned' ideals. I'm not saying that most of the people here actively subscribe to sexist ideals, in fact I would say that most of the people when asked would disagree with the messages insinuated by their own speech. I'm just saying I would really like to see a greater amount of discretion used in the majority of posts here.

for starters, LOL.

what was i thinking. of course there is a chance that you, or anyone else, could completely change our language and culture to become non-sexist.

i don't see sexist discourse as a great modern day problem but more as a reminant of a time when it was a problem, well more like a way of life. to me, it's a verbal tradition that i laugh at and use to humor myself, "hey baby!" why is it such a big deal to you if you say, "most of the people when asked would disagree with the messages insinuated by their own speech." so it seems that your only beef is that our sexist discourse reinforces 'old fashioned' ideals. what ideals have been jepordized my friend? i don't think the amount of sexist discourse in our society has taken away from womens rights or respect. if anything women continue to gain further respect and rights, in light of the ever popular sexist discourse.

i think that rather condeming this so-called chavinism, we should embrace it. lets make women proud to be called "chics." i am so suprised that you care so much. i think that with this time i should have dedicated my life to something more important, like getting an ultimate frisbee team together and shit, rather than trying to argue about bitches.

who really cares anyways, just angry lesbians that have been done wrong by idiot boyfriends, and strange sensitive men. that's just my guess.

bakedjake

Jun 6, 2003, 3:17 PM
Post #15 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm just saying I would really like to see a greater amount of discretion :D used in the majority of posts here.
too funny... discretion... in community :D my closest and only moment of discretion was my step 1 notification for posting controversial photo's. 8) i say grow a little skin and join the gang. none of us are intentionally demeaning of one another... we're pretty well accustomed to our pet terms and mean no harm.

cerikpete

Jun 6, 2003, 3:18 PM
Post #16 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
mean no harm.

Word.

Keep that in mind people.

bakedjake

Jun 6, 2003, 3:20 PM
Post #17 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
mean no harm.

Word.

Keep that in mind people.
damn!!!! let's send him over to b.com :D they need some fresh meat :D

bluto

Jun 6, 2003, 3:27 PM
Post #18 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Asaph,

Did you just finish a women's studies course in college??

pinnaclechick

Jun 6, 2003, 3:31 PM
Post #19 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use "chick" quite a bit. Describing a woman to someone, she is invariably "that chick". I call my female friends "chicks", though I probably would not call a stranger a "chick" to her face. "Hey Chick".. disco flashbacks.. I've been using "chick" for ages. In fact, I've been using it so long and so often, maybe I even had a hand in bringing it back.

I use "girl" too, but it's more like... "gurrrrllll"

"Chick" doesn't offend me.. shouldn't offend any chick.

rocko

Jun 6, 2003, 3:56 PM
Post #20 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

who knew?

winter

Jun 6, 2003, 4:08 PM
Post #21 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you serious? :roll:
I think that if anyone here, women included, were that seriously offended by what was being said then they would have exited the site pronto! If you don't like it maybe you should too, there is no obligation by anyone to read nor to participate.
As a woman, I find all the sex, chick references funny and entertaining. The girls are talking sh*t about the boys just as much as the other way around.
Frankly, by coming to a place where people's real identities are veiled behind catchy names and the akwardness of face to face contact and the accountability that comes with that are absolved, you are agreeing to be exposed to a bunch of crap. Internet forums allow some people to say things they would never say in regular day to day interactions, I'm sure some of them find it quite liberating. Everyone here understands and accepts that you've got to laugh off anything offensive, you should do the same. Even better you should let less offend you, you would probably find your blood pressure went down quite a bit.
It's all good.

knuckles

Jun 6, 2003, 9:03 PM
Post #22 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Voices of moderation and reason? I'm feeling ripped off by this thread. This would all be much funnier if crazy daisy were here....

bakedjake

Jun 6, 2003, 9:11 PM
Post #23 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Voices of moderation and reason? I'm feeling ripped off by this thread. This would all be much funnier if crazy daisy were here....
yeah!!!! what he said :D there is no room for reason here in community. this is internet anarchy baby

Partner wideguy

Jun 6, 2003, 9:17 PM
Post #24 of 25 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

personally, I find it offnsive to be reffered to as a "guy" or a "dude."

Henceforth please refer to men as "he-beasts" or Penile-americans"

:lol: :lol:

jono13

Jun 6, 2003, 9:29 PM
Post #25 of 25 (701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes I've found this annoying for some time. The stereotypes on this site are ridiculous, IE: Feminists. Hate to say it, but a VAST majority of the people here dont seem to respect women at all, it actually really really pisses me off. I remember one thread where daisyfay actually stuck up for her feelings on a topic, and of course, she got flamed for it. Gender equality? I think not :roll: I myself dont find the whole "chick" and "babe" thing overly offensive, I dont use those terms myself, but of course I have on a couple occasions. I would like to see them stop, but I'd like to see alot of stuff on here stop. But of course, half this site is opinionated rednecks who will call you a "F*CKING PUSSY!" If you bring anything up that challenges there beliefs. Sheesh

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook