RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

the_iowan

Jun 10, 2003, 6:11 PM
Post #1 of 3 (5138 views)
Shortcut

Climb spec versus Military spec
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

is there any advantage to using climb spec 1" tubular webbing from Bluewater? most lines are typically setup with military spec 1" from Climb High (not sure who is manufacturer only distributer.

from what i understand the climb-spec uses a different weave, resulting in higher thread count, with less nylon esposed. tensile strength for bluewater is (4200 lbf) versus climb high (4000 lbf). is the only advantage (besides the minimal gain in tensile strength) increased durability?

also, if i were to order a spool of Climb Hight military spec there may be splices (with no tensile strenght) - is this the same for Bluewater? one more thing - has anyone ordered a long line from Slackline Brothers? just curious as to what type of webbing it is and if you can get it splice-free.

the_iowan

Jun 11, 2003, 3:06 AM
Post #2 of 3 (5138 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climb spec versus Military spec [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

in case anyone was wondering:

webbing sold by slackline brothers is climb spec - at 20 cents/foot its a great buy! only downside is if you are buying a spool, be sure to check for splices.

therealbovine

Jun 14, 2003, 3:13 PM
Post #3 of 3 (5138 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climb spec versus Military spec [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climb spec vs. Mil spec. Well, Its all gonna be a personal preference for a slackline. The feel of the two webs is different. Unless you are building a highline, and it sounds like you're not, the strength of the two different webs is in this case irrelevant. They are both strong enough for a lowline. The climb spec is smooth, but the edges feel a bit "sharper" under bare feet. The Mil spec seems a little more freindly as far as the edges go, the texture is "ribbed". The mil spec also seems to stretch a little more than the climb spec, however as you mentioned, the climb spec seems to hold up better over time. The lines that Slackline Bros sells, from what I have seen, looks to me more like Mil spec than climb spec...its easy to tell the difference just by the apperance. Smooth = climb spec, ribbed = Mil spec. Hope this helps. If you have more questions feel free to PM me.

Sean Burns
(ethosclimbing.com)
creators of the original pre sewn adjustable slackline

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook