RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

wonderwoman

Apr 28, 2003, 4:33 PM
Post #1 of 19 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Climbing honeymoon - any suggestions?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey there women climbers-

I am 'tying the knot' with blueeyedclimber next May and we are planning for a climbing honeymoon. One of the places we are considering is an eco-lodge in Latacunga, Cotopaxi Ecuador. It is cheap and beautiful and has many climbing areas!!

Haye any of you ladies ever been on a climbing honeymoon, or have visited places that you can recommend? I am an organizer by trade, so I like doing a lot of the arrangements. recommendations???

piton

Apr 28, 2003, 5:00 PM
Post #2 of 19 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing honeymoon - any suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey ww, imo you and Blueeyed should forget about climbing on the honeymoon and have all your ups and downs in bed! :wink:

Congratulations! :D

ecocliffchick

Apr 28, 2003, 8:00 PM
Post #3 of 19 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about France? I mean you've got the relaxation at the Cote d'Azure for a couple of days post nuptuals, then head to the crags and small mountain towns for a week or two to climb at, and then hit Paris for a night or two out on the town before flying out. I haven't yet had the opportunity to plan a honeymoon or go to France, but can you tell I've thought about it!

moabbeth

Apr 29, 2003, 3:03 AM
Post #4 of 19 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about Thailand? I know the SARS thing has people avoiding the region but all the people I know who have been climbing in Thailand LOVED it there. It's pretty cheap to stay, and the water down there is that goregous azure blue. And in addition to all the climbing you can do all the ocean sports like sea kayaking and stuff. Plus what could be more romantic than climbing all day with your honey then strolling along the beach at sunset then retire to your private beachside bungalow for some good post-wedding lovin' :lol: .

blueeyedclimber

Apr 29, 2003, 12:54 PM
Post #5 of 19 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey piton,

There will be plenty of that. Climbing is a distant second. We just figured that it would be nice to do something while we both recharge. Has anyone ever made love at a belay station? Just curious. :twisted: :shock: :wink:

Josh

ezjay40

Apr 29, 2003, 1:09 PM
Post #6 of 19 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

opps

atg200

Apr 29, 2003, 1:23 PM
Post #7 of 19 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i love ecuador, but latacunga would be pretty low on my list of places to go for a honeymoon. the rock climbing sucks, cotopaxi is very crowded, and i also didn't particularly care for latacunga - seems like just yet another mid size south american city. why not go somewhere a little more interesting like cartagena and those islands just off the coast of colombia, cuzco/macchu picchu, mendoza wine country/high andes, patagonia/tierra del fuego, the igazu falls area on the border of argentina/paraguay/brazil, easter island in the south pacific combined with the santiago wine country and maybe tahiti/the marquesas, the atacama desert in northern chile, or somewhere like that?

in ecuador, my favorite places were quito itself, the otavalo/ibarra area - especially the village of la esperanza and imbabura, the illinizas, and out in the jungle. you could have a good adventure around coca or some of the jungle towns - maybe with a climb of a jungle peak. i did reventador, but it blew up so it probably isn't as good anymore.

anyway, let me know if you want south america beta for good adventurous trips that could be romantic.

aimeerose

Apr 29, 2003, 6:33 PM
Post #8 of 19 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My husband and I took a climbing honeymoon right after we married in late May. We took 5 weeks and went to Kalymnos, Greece; Claret, France; Finale, Italy; and Chamonix, France (although we didn't climb there.) It was awesome! Our favourite spots were Kalymnos and Claret. It's hot in both spots, so you have to get there early or late, but the limestone is awesome. There's been some incredible photos posted lately of limestone in France. I would contact the photographers and ask them for some beta. Cuba looks nice too.

If you want any specifics, let me know.

Partner calamity_chk

Apr 30, 2003, 5:01 AM
Post #9 of 19 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow, atg. those ideas sound incredible.

pm me if you have ideas for more locations. i have a few ideas for special things to do but no specific location/setting for them.

jadeclimber

May 1, 2003, 6:29 AM
Post #10 of 19 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congrats!

My husband and I just went on a climbing/surfing honeymoon in January. We went to Mexico for the surfing and J-tree for the climbing. There are probably more prototypical romantic places for climbing honeymoons, but it just so happens that we also spend about a week in J-Tree every winter anyways, so we didn't want to break tradition :D .

We've done lots of other climbing trips that I thought were really romantic: Montgrony/Siuriana in Spain and Thailand were far-flung and fun, but lots of closer-to-home trips were just as romantic (especially less crowded CA locales like needles and cal dome). I guess when you're climbing with the love of your life, it's hard not to have a ball.

There have been some great suggestions on the thread so far (france, cuba and greece are all high on my tick list). The only other suggestion I'd add is Australia. My husband and I are going for a few months at the end of the year and we're planning on doing lots and lots of climbing (and surfing) and other "stuff" that married people do. :wink:

flynnypek

May 16, 2003, 6:01 PM
Post #11 of 19 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Come to Mexico...
There is a place called Bernal in Queretaro which has the third biggest rock in its kind.
The small village is pretty cool too. (Actually that is where I'm getting married on 06/09)

:wink:

legless

May 18, 2003, 9:55 PM
Post #12 of 19 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thailand is so obviously where you should go...go to bangkok, spend 2 days there then fly to krabi and go to railay. you can go HIGH class for 75 us a night---or you can do like most people and go acceptably comfortable for about 10 bucks...either way there is nothing like climbing in railay...just make sure you buy a route book and sample as many of the walls as time permits.

i just got back from six weeks of thailand and it felt like a weekend....

Partner booger

Jun 2, 2003, 8:00 PM
Post #13 of 19 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, I may be a bit partial because this is my hometown, but Southern Spain would be my choice... check out www.flamota.com for a great "off the beaten path" place to stay! Plenty of great climbing within short driving distances, the mountains, the beach, horsebackriding, sangria... you just can't beat that! Oh - PM me if you decide to go... I used to run that little B&B and I'll get you a good deal!

:D Taz

Partner philbox

Jun 2, 2003, 10:41 PM
Post #14 of 19 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I`ve just spent a bit of time with a couple of climbing honeymooners from California. They came over to Brisbane, Queensland, Australia for about 2 weeks. http://members.tripod.com/ted_cais/bris03/ This is the website that Ted and Michelle have put up to document their climbing adventures on their honeymoon. Ted had spent quite a deal of time here in his younger days but this is Michelles first visit here. They are sooo much wanting to come here to retire now. I had a really nice time with them even though I hurt myself climbing with Ted when I was acting as guide for a days climbing on Mt. Tibrogargan.

I would recommend South East queensland very highly for a climbing/honeymoon holiday. The good thing is that pretty much year round this place has the ideal climate. Usually not too cold and mostly not too hot. Lotsa touristy things to do as well.

...Phil...

overlord

Jun 12, 2003, 9:57 PM
Post #15 of 19 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how about "not climbing". im a climbing freak, but even i dont consider climbing on my honeymoon (providing ill have one). at elast not jet.

addictedtocrack

Jun 12, 2003, 11:34 PM
Post #16 of 19 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crackaddict and I set out on a climbing honeymoon in Yosemite when we tied the knot in Sept last year. Didn't get much climbing in though :wink:

The atmosphere coupled with the one I love made up for any climbing that we may have missed.

I think it's a great idea and thoughtful to plan a honeymoon with both of your favorite things in mind (climbing & eachother).

CONGRATS! :D

dar-la-la
Deleted

Sep 17, 2003, 3:24 PM
Post #17 of 19 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My husband and I both are climber's and we wanted to go somewhere where we could get married and also spend our honeymoon. We went to the Cayman Brac. Stayed at this really cool place owned by climber's. The climbing was excellent! Never done sea climbing before. Where you rap down into the sea on a hanging belay and climb out. Pretty exciting when you see Sea turtles and Whale sharks below ya! If you would like beta on the place to stay, let me know. Good luck! Dar

alleybird

Sep 17, 2003, 6:46 PM
Post #18 of 19 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Has anyone ever made love at a belay station? Just curious.

The better question is is there anyone who HASN'T made love at a belay station?! :wink: :!:

climberchic

Sep 19, 2003, 5:09 PM
Post #19 of 19 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First off, CONGRATULATIONS to you both!! :)

Our first choice was Thailand, bt as previously said, we were scared off by the SARS epidemic. No matter though, as we will most likely hit that up for our first anniversary ;)

Spain was our very close second choice. There is supposed to be tons of climbing around the Seville area, which will start off our journey, and as we head over to the eastern coast, through the north and into France, we plan to hit up everything on the way.

I'll post again when we get back as our wedding is in 3 weeks and we'll be gone for 3.

Good luck to you both!

~Erica

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook