RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

Partner xcel360

Jul 5, 2003, 2:07 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2123 views)
Shortcut

Wall textures
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, so now that I think I'm gonna be where I'm living at for a while, Im going to continue my homewall construction. But I've been thinking a little crazy lately....like I want to texture my wall to give it that little extra something. But I didn't want to just use sand and paint. I want to do something like my local gym in Florida (On The Edge in Melbourne), where they had highly detailed textured walls. They had some naturals that when I grabbed them they felt pretty real to me, and had good friction. Does anyone know how to replicate this type of stuff, or where I can buy some premade. I know it's probably expensive, but I live so far from the crags and a gym and I want some quality training at home. I can't even begin to imagine what they used to make that stuf...

overlord

Jul 5, 2003, 2:16 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2123 views)
Shortcut

Re: Wall textures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you can carve some wood and then use special paint (i believe metolius makes it) to cover, yo youll get pretty rocklike texture. and some hold manufacturers actually make big pieces for wall buildining that are already textured.

styndall

Jul 5, 2003, 3:22 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For a training wall, don't build a real rock looking system. It'll most likely have to be permanent, and you'll get bored of the problems really quickly. Stick to flat plywood and overhangs, and keep it so you can move holds around easily to make it more interesting.

more interesting=you on it more

b_fost

Jul 5, 2003, 5:07 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

though textured walls are sweet, i'd have to agree with styndall.

I would personally worry more about the shape/ size of the wall then the texture.

but its your wall, so you get to choose how it looks.

good luck!! :D

Partner xcel360

Jul 5, 2003, 8:51 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
For a training wall, don't build a real rock looking system. It'll most likely have to be permanent, and you'll get bored of the problems really quickly. Stick to flat plywood and overhangs, and keep it so you can move holds around easily to make it more interesting.

more interesting=you on it more

Nonono, I think I've been misunderstood. Don't worry it happens often. I'm going to have a huge area for my wall, like 30' x 20' in basement which has an 8' ceiling. It's definetly going to be pretty permament. I'll be building the frame like I normally would and use plywood with plenty of pre drilled holes for t-nuts. This way I *can* change routes around. I just wanted some nice naturals and decent texture on the wall since I'll be spending oodles of time on it. Sure it's going to be for training specifically, but I'd at least like something that's going to keep me interested.

I really just wanted to know if anyone knew how to make this stuff. I didn't feel like spending lots of money on it, becuz I really don't have much. I scored all the wood for free though :D

morganicclimbing

Jul 6, 2003, 3:18 AM
Post #6 of 8 (2123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed a couple weeks ago on a wall nicely textured. They used Skid Not from Lowe's. It had a concrete like texture. Home Depoit has one called Skid No More which uses shredded pieces of rubber. I love the texture because it's not too rough on the knuckles but the rubber comes right off. The one from Lowes was solid. However, I think what you are referring to is a little different. If you get the book called "Building Your Own Indoor Climbing Wall" there is a section that talks about a more complex texture. Basically you take scrap pieces of holds, wood, etc. and screw them all over. Then you take the thick metal mesh stuff they use for stuccoing and staple that around the areas with pieces of wood (I'm doing this in a crack on my wall). Next you take regular portland cement and mix it with an acrylic additive which slows the drying time for the cement and makes it stronger. Then just spread it on. Like the others said, it's not necessary but what the hell. It's fun anyway. Good luck.

apollodorus

Jul 6, 2003, 3:49 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can mix sandy grit into bondo to get a formable blob of gook that will adhere to wood, and have texture. Bondo is polyester resin (like fiberglass laminating resin) mixed with some sort of flour-like thickener. You can also mix even more sand into pure polyester resin, but it might be too runny to place on a vertical wall.

If you use natural sand, wash it out using a screen to remove the dust and let it dry completely. The sharpest, grittiest stuff is going to be sandblasting grit (silica sand), which is sold in various sizes (grades). River sand is going to be quite smooth and round.

You might try wire-brushing your textured areas after they've cured. The plastic resin surface will be softer than the sand, and will disappear leaving sharp crystals exposed.

Partner xcel360

Jul 8, 2003, 12:47 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks everyone for their tips. I was checking out SolidRock Wall Company's website and noticed that they sold their "artificial rock" surface to people who want it for home use for an ugly $4 a square foot. Has anyone even considered using this stuff before, or have? If I have to pay that much there's no way I'm going to do the whole wall with it, maybe just some here and there for some cool little features like aretes, flakes, gastons, and finger cracks. So is it worth it? Is this stuff actually any good?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook