RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

darin

Jul 2, 2003, 7:55 PM
Post #1 of 15 (2885 views)
Shortcut

homemade forearm trainer
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've heard a good way to build up forearm strength is to make a device out of a wooden pole, hang a weight from it that reaches the floor when you extend your arms straight out and roll the weight up and down. has anyone had any experiece with this? what weight should I use? I typically curl 20-25 pounds when doing normal weight work, but didn't know if I should increase/decrease this amount when doing this to get a good pump going...

thanks

vertical_reality

Jul 2, 2003, 8:09 PM
Post #2 of 15 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Re: homemade forearm trainer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just stick to wrist curls, reverse wrist curls and pronators. Leave the gimicks for late night TV.

westside196

Jul 2, 2003, 8:13 PM
Post #3 of 15 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A lot of people use that technique in training their forearms. It works out your arm rolling up and rolling down. I think Bruce Lee invented it actually.

cbeltrano

Jul 2, 2003, 8:32 PM
Post #4 of 15 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that is a great (and inexpensive) way to work the forearms... i got turned on to it by a former co-worker who used to be a gymnast. She said they had to do it pretty much til their arms felt like they were bleeding on the inside (that i do not recommend). and if anyone wants a way to do this where the weight isn't to much, or just want to use junk lying around the house; rolling and unrolling a section of newspaper works great as well

Partner coldclimb

Jul 2, 2003, 8:33 PM
Post #5 of 15 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It definately gets tough after a bit. Dunno how effective it is, but it gives a pump.

texasclimber

Jul 2, 2003, 8:33 PM
Post #6 of 15 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just stick to wrist curls, reverse wrist curls and pronators. Leave the gimicks for late night TV.

That is not a gimick! My gym even has a machine that mimics the same motion. Curls are good and what you are talkig about works well too. If you feel it in your forearm, chances are you are working it out! :wink:

the_pirate

Jul 2, 2003, 8:36 PM
Post #7 of 15 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is actually a really good forearm trainer. You won't need anywhere near 20 pounds. Hang a 5lb weight and roll that up and down a few times. You will be surprised at the burn.

crack_climber

Jul 2, 2003, 11:03 PM
Post #8 of 15 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used one at the gym last semester at school, but when I came home I didn't have one. I went out to the garage and found an old dowel rod and some small rope, took an empty gallon jug, and filled it with gravel from my driveway. I use it regularly in my workout routines. I love it, and it definately gives a good pump!

brianinslc

Jul 2, 2003, 11:38 PM
Post #9 of 15 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've heard a good way to build up forearm strength is to make a device out of a wooden pole, hang a weight from it that reaches the floor when you extend your arms straight out and roll the weight up and down. has anyone had any experiece with this? what weight should I use? I typically curl 20-25 pounds when doing normal weight work, but didn't know if I should increase/decrease this amount when doing this to get a good pump going...

Here's what I use mostly for ice climbing (works the shoulders, too).

Get a fat piece of PVC pipe, big enough to not quite get your fingers around in an open hanged grip, but small enough that its easy to hang onto. Drill a hole in the middle. Attach a cord long enough to pull a weight from the floor to your arms over your head. Tie the cord to a gallon jug of water. Hold your arms above your head, slightly forward, roll up and down. See how many "laps" you can do. Repeat a few times a week. Great, nauseating pump. Seems to work well for building stamina.

For contact strength, I think the best exercise is 4-8 reps with a heavy bar, standing, arms at side, then raise and lower weight straight up and down (see Horsts training book, I think its in there). Wrist curls just seem to annoy my wrist joints.

Brian in SLC

collegekid

Jul 3, 2003, 12:51 AM
Post #10 of 15 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

go with the rope/dowel method. It allows more freedom of movement than plain wrist curls, and seems to give you a better pump (you don't get bored as quick.) I use a 10 lb weight and do two repetitions (all the way down and back up is a rep), but only for the reverse wrist motion (i don't twist down.) I figure i get enough work on that part of my forearm by climbing. You should probably have weights of between 5 and 15 lbs available for it...start out with 5 and work up.

darin

Jul 3, 2003, 10:09 PM
Post #11 of 15 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks all for the tips... I'll give it a try... do most find it more useful to do this with the palms-up or palms-down approach? I assume the palms-down approach would better work the muscles used in climbing, but I get pumped very quickly when I do that... I guess that's why I need to strengthen my forearms :D

solid

Jul 4, 2003, 2:16 AM
Post #12 of 15 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

use both palms up and down equally. balance is the key to success.

Partner one900johnnyk

Jul 6, 2003, 1:03 PM
Post #13 of 15 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

using that apparatus has brought my mario kart dominance to a new level

b_fost

Jul 6, 2003, 1:07 PM
Post #14 of 15 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, I have experience in that.

I do both palms up and down, 10 times each, with a 20 lb load.

It gets you quite pumped after the first time, and the rippin' only improves the more you do.

pushsendnorcal

Jul 9, 2003, 1:13 AM
Post #15 of 15 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what you are talking about is one of the most effective ways in training for hypertrophy. This is simply put a method to increase the diameter of your forearm. Which is good, for several reasons, one, increasing the size of you forearm hardly increases weight, less than half a pound. Second this allows for more possible recruitment when training on the campus or finger board

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook