RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

mauta

Jan 18, 2002, 4:18 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3094 views)
Shortcut

How to stack the rope?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,
how is your favorite (or the best)way to stack (english is not my native languaje, is this the correct expression?, but i am sure you will understand me ...) the climbing rope in differents situations, like:

1)store the rope after the climb is over

2)before your leading partner start going up

3)before throwing it in order to rappel

I know it is not easy to explain it in words !!!! perchaps you could provide some link with images showing the best method

Thanks,

JUAN

floof

Jan 18, 2002, 4:54 PM
Post #2 of 6 (3094 views)
Shortcut

How to stack the rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Since I'm new and only top rope outside (will get to second soon), I store my rope in two coils. I do a butterfly coil for each half and wrap the whole rope in a blanket. One of these days I'll get a rope bag, but I'm poor so a blanket works. When I scamper up the back of a route my rope is all ready to be thrown for the rappel. I set up my anchor, attach my still coiled rope to the master point, uncoil one side and toss sit. When someone at the bottom says it's long enough, I uncoil the other side and toss it. Then I rappel down both sides of the rope.

Hope this helps,
- John

paulc

Jan 18, 2002, 6:31 PM
Post #3 of 6 (3094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stack into a rope bag, which ever way it falls it stays. It uncoils so much easier this way, no kinks, no knots, doesn't get buggered if you pull the wrong end cause the right end is on the top. All good in my books.

The only reason that I would BF coil is if I needed to backpack the rope either by itself or on top of a pack without a rope bag.

If you don't have a rope bag, or something like that get one it will save your rope like nothing else.

Paul

dhoyne

Jan 18, 2002, 6:57 PM
Post #4 of 6 (3094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I find that just flaking the rope into my rope bag works best... least amount of time used in untangling knots.

mikedano

Jan 18, 2002, 7:13 PM
Post #5 of 6 (3094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to be super anal about coiling and flaking my rope. But after a while I decided it's just too much trouble. When I'm done using the rope, I just flake it straight in to the bottom of my backpack, where it stays until I'm ready to climb again. Then I just grab the end on top, and I'm ready to climb. No expensive rope bags (which add a tiny amount of extra weight) and no fuss with coiling.
And speaking of, I just learned a new trick about rappeling. Here's how it goes: Put the rope through the anchor and then grab both ends. Tie them in a knot so you don't rappel off the ends (I always forget this). Pull both ends equally while you coil the rope. After you've pulled all the slack into a coil, you should reach the middle of the rope, which will be through the anchor. Then you can just take your coil and toss it over, and you'll be sure that both ends are of equal length. My favorite trick on long or multiple rappels.

ravens_wing_jim

Jan 22, 2002, 12:44 AM
Post #6 of 6 (3094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get yerself a ropebag with a roll out tarp.
(mine's a metolius,love their gear),
and just flake yer rope out, and roll it up.
No fuss no muss.

Also, to know the middle of yer rope,
find it, then just mark it with tape.
The cloth gym tape(used for yer fingers)
works great.(though you will have to occasionaly replace it).

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook