Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kriso9tails

Jul 15, 2001, 7:03 AM
Post #1 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Just Plain Stupid
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yeah, yeah we've all heard the brave heroic version on how it went down, now tell us how it really happened and why your friends won't let you live it down.

kriso9tails

Jul 15, 2001, 7:19 AM
Post #2 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Just Plain Stupid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I don't really have much but I'll give what I got. My most painful climbing injury isn't one to brag about. A half foot fall on a static line in the gym with a loose right leg loop. Doesn't sound so bad until one of your boys gets crushed between your leg and leg strap (no padding). Now try telling your mom that you'd like to lower off because off extreme pain due to the fact that you had just thoroughly mashed your right testicle in plain earshot of an eight year-old girl. I think I spent a couple of minutes curled up in a ball in the bathroom after that.
The moral: Unless you're a masochist who doesn't want children (or a woman) tighten thoes leg straps.

(that was kind of lame, someone has to have better)

[ This Message was edited by: kriso9tails on 2001-07-20 13:20 ]

moses1

Jul 15, 2001, 6:19 PM
Post #3 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that has got to be the most entertaining story i have heard in a long time. i dont have anything that is as good as that.you have my simpathy.

Partner jhundrup

Jul 18, 2001, 9:40 PM
Post #4 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is one that I won't let someone live down. I took a girl climbing one time, of course the first step was a nice easy 30ft rapel. As she started to head over the cliff, she didn't want to move her feet. Pretty quick she was upside down and luckily still holing on to the rope. After I stopped laughing and she calmed down, she righted herself and finished the rapel. Everyone there got a good laugh and she still enjoyed the rest of the day.

kriso9tails

Jul 19, 2001, 12:20 AM
Post #5 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Feind accidently tried rappelling upside down in once Josh. Scarry then funny. (My mom nearly had a heart attack because she tought he had ptched off the top)

krillen

Jul 19, 2001, 6:55 PM
Post #6 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kris You mashed a testie? Maybe THAT's why we haven't seen you in a while?

A guy I climb with took out a bunch of newbies to show them how to climb. Super easy route, out about a 30 footer. He sets up the top anchor and is about rap down when his foot slips and he shreds the internals of his knee. His safety lien caught him but his kneecap was WAY out of place. Needless to say they didn't get any climbing in, and he was carted out by a bunch of drunken natives that were on the volunteer fire dept.
(not a crass generalization , they were actually drunk)

[ This Message was edited by: krillen on 2001-07-19 12:00 ]

phishphan

Jul 20, 2001, 4:51 AM
Post #7 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some friends and I went climbing and we were getting everything set up when I realized that I forgot something in my friends van. So I was running back to the van when someone called my name I was looking back while still running and I turned my head back in enough time to see the van's door as it knocked me out. After I came too, I tried to talk everyone into concaucting a story about some amazing climb rescue to explain the busted nose and black eyes. But it didn't happen, soon everyone I knew, knew. It was pretty humiliating!

kriso9tails

Jul 20, 2001, 5:26 AM
Post #8 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My sympathies. The only thing worse than getting injured at the crag is not being able to have an awsome climbing story along with it to make it seem cool.

Partner russman

Jul 20, 2001, 1:40 PM
Post #9 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is not a stupid accident mishap...but a funny little story like that. A buddy and I were climbing here around my house. He was first up the rock. Now you have to picture him (about 5'4" and about 200 lbs.) Picture teh Pislbury Doughboy in a harness and that is pretty close. Anywho, he slipped off at teh crux, I caght him, but he fell upsidedown and was swinging like a pendulam. After I let him down I daamn near fell off the landing zone I was laughing so hard...he was about the same way. The Pisbury Doughboy swinging back and forth across the Rocks:) Godd times had by all:)

kriso9tails

Jul 24, 2001, 5:05 PM
Post #10 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well nothing got hurt here except for maybe my friends pride, but I find it amusing. On a trip to Red River Gorge we decided to do Fuzzy Undercling. My friend had never done it so he wanted to try seeing as it's such a classic climb. Eventually his hands went completely numb from the cold rock, so on one of the last moves he grabbed an undercling. He looked down at his feet to place them, and then cranked off the undercling only to find that he wasn't holding the undercling, in fact, he wasn't holding anything at all. His hands were so numb that he had just been pinching air, which to him felt pretty solid. I could symathise though, because I had just done the rowt and I had to look at my hands at every move near the top just to check if they were actually holding on to anything. Climbing in the cold suck, although, at least you can crank off of sharp hold without feeling any pain until after the fact.

[ This Message was edited by: kriso9tails on 2001-07-24 10:06 ]

climberchk

Aug 23, 2001, 8:38 PM
Post #11 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Three of us were setting up for a competition after hours at our local gym. Chris and my friend Tony went for some food, while I stayed behind to put up some holds. I was using a gri gri to beyay myself. And somehow I managed to get the bottom portion of the rope caught around a machine. So, I couldn't move, I was stuck(note I was 25 feet up with no pads under me) So, when Tony and Chris got back, I was still hanging there. I'd been stuck there for almost 45 minutes. Needless to say, I won't belay myself again.

patman

Aug 24, 2001, 3:38 AM
Post #12 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was helping setting up a top rope at my gym and i was on the belay next to it
and all the suddin i silpped and the grigri didnt catch rite away and i fell 4 feet and that wasebt bad but i was loooking down and i all the sudden slammed back into the wall i hade a hold shaped bruse on my back for a while

nayjay

Dec 4, 2001, 12:36 PM
Post #13 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I remember i was climbing on an overhang so when you fell or let go you would swing out.
s while i was climbing i got half way up and then i fell, i don't know how but... s--t happens. it was quite cool, i enjoy swinging, until i hit a flourishing thorn tree growing behind me... i spent the rest of the day pulling thorns out my ass...
ouch

ratstar

Dec 4, 2001, 4:32 PM
Post #14 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was at the gym and my partner was doing this overhang in the cave which goes up rather high and I turned around to talk to someone (he had a gym pad under him) he hadnt got this on move all day and he fell on my head. It knocked me cold and I woke up sitting on the mat.

rocmonkey

Dec 5, 2001, 8:22 AM
Post #15 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll sure take your advice...

breathe stone
R C

hardcoredana

Dec 11, 2001, 8:39 PM
Post #16 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My friend just finished lowering me off a climb that had so much rope drag that he had to manually feed the rope through the belay device in order to lower me down. We were on a large ledge (5 ft by 5 ft) that had a 15 foot drop off. Immediately after I untied, he grabbed *one* end of the rope, said "Hey, check out this rope drag . . . ", and attempted to swing out over the drop off because he thought the rope drag would prevent the rope from sliding through the anchors. Well, there wasn't enough rope drag, and before I even had a chance to react, he fell down the 15 foot drop off and proceeded to roll down the slope, only to be stopped by a large pine tree.

talons05

Dec 11, 2001, 10:26 PM
Post #17 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My partner and I were climbing a route in Garden of the Gods, and it was getting dark just as I reached the end of the second pitch (3 pitch route). When I pulled up onto the alcove belay, an animal started making loud noises and coming toward me. I yelled to my partner "DUUUUUDE!!!!! There's a freakin' squirell up here!!!" And he was like "Hit it!!!" And I was like "With what????" And he goes. "hmm... Well, you have all kinds of crap up there - cams, hexes, etc. etc. Just hit it!!!" So there I was, pitch black, with some unseen monster growling at me in the back of this alcove... And I was ready to bash it with a $60.00 camming unit.... And then!!!!! The pidgeon flew away and I rapped the route...

AW

Partner missedyno

Dec 12, 2001, 12:27 AM
Post #18 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

geez, i'd hate to see you approached by a bear!

(or something more dangerous than pigeons, squirrels and toddlers)

howieehrlich

Dec 12, 2001, 2:02 AM
Post #19 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ive never had any bad ones personaly, but i saw one that was realy bad. This guy was climbing on this TR and fell, but he wasnt very far off the ground and he also swung. and he swung right into this other guy's head, but the thing is that he swung into the other guy with is legs open and the guy on the ground hit his head into the swinging guy's krotch, he passed out and the climber was in a ball on the ground for a while. By some stroke of luck, this is on film and in the video, SOUL.

graniteboy

Dec 15, 2001, 3:10 AM
Post #20 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Took an 80 ft groundfall iceclimbing (verglas, no pro to speak of). Walked away, but cracked some ribs. Moral; don't EVER sing a song to your partner about how he's a-weakling-sissy-boy, who-wears-a skirt-cause-he-will'na-lead-the-pitch while you should be payin attention to your drytooling.
Never busted my nuts like the guy above, though. thats A REAL manly injury...

graniteboy

Dec 16, 2001, 4:06 AM
Post #21 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, tech, it was my first ice fall in 20 some odd yrs of leading ice. Yeah, lucky. But the real issue is that the snow landing was not all tromped hard by too many people climbing there. There are some routes that just don't seem to attract the masses, If U know what I meeen. And that's a good thing

talons05

Dec 16, 2001, 5:12 AM
Post #22 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey crazy - I thought it was a falcon - they are known to roost on those climbs from time to time. I have seen videos of climbers attacked by birds of prey. Those animals are smart - straight for the face. I didn't like the prospect of being forced backwards off a ledge by a screaming mass of feathers, beak, and talons.

AW

gregarion

Dec 16, 2001, 6:54 AM
Post #23 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My most painful fall isn't wasn't all that dangerous just like i said painful and embarrasing. I was doing a lead climb in the gym i beleive it was probably my second lead,and i was trying to move over a slightly overhanging section. When due to my bad clipping techinique (and lack of endurance) i popped and ended up falling right into my rope,(i was only on the third clip). This wouldn't have been so bad if i hadn't fallen with my legs stradling the rope. So you can imagine i took a long break after that one.

graniteboy

Dec 18, 2001, 1:03 AM
Post #24 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here'a ANOTHER one 4 me; I was gym climbing, and I'd been working this route. The 3rd clip was not well placed, so I skipped it. I got to the 4th clip (hanging from thin crimps on 110 degree wall), yarded some rope to make the clip, and popped. I decked from abt 25 feet. Knocked the wind outta me, but I was glad for shoe rubber floors that day....OK, those are my 2 (this and see above) really stupid mistakes in 30 years.

vbrgclimber

Dec 23, 2001, 4:49 AM
Post #25 of 26 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my worst was in the gym...i was climbing a top rope, and the layback flake i was on started on the left, then went at about a 40 degree angle across the wall and then went up again so part was on the left and part was on the rite, i was an idiot and tied in to the left side of the rope, so i was up on the right side and slipped. i swung across the wall and hit one of my kidneys with a huge hold...it hurt like a bitch, and i had a bruise for a long time

the funnier/more itneresting story happened today when i was working at the gym. a guy was top roping our overhang, and fell off...the guy belaying him weighed less, and was standing with the anchor between his legs...needless to say, the guy fell and WHAMO...i heard a scream and looked over at the guy on the ground in a ball, but he still hung on to the brake, so at least the guy didnt fall, looked like it sucked ass tho

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook