RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

tori

Jul 15, 2003, 3:39 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1640 views)
Shortcut

Minor Eye Injury From Small Rock
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

after 2 days of climbing at vantage my right eye is slightly blurry. at the end of day 2 i noticed lots of dirt and small rock scraps all over my face, then i became aware that my vision is a bit fuzzy, it is still blurred the next day. there must be a small scratch somewhere, i have heard that this type of slight eye scratch often heals itself. anyone have this experience? of course i should see a Dr. so don't bother to remind me, thanks for any good info.

soma

Jul 15, 2003, 5:16 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1640 views)
Shortcut

Re: Minor Eye Injury From Small Rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Eyes are not something to screw around with. If it is worse tomorrow get it checked. If it is the same, then wait a day. If it is better then you are probably alright if it continues to get better.

I am not a doctor so take this for what it is, advice from the internet.

Dave

edited due to poor punctuation.

offwidthclimber

Jul 15, 2003, 6:13 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it sounds like you've been "blinded by the choss."

my prescription is that you should only climb at vantage if you're very desperate and it's fukkin' snowing everywhere else you could possibly climb in the PNW.

drink two beers and post up in the morning.

(in all seriousness, i hope your eye is fine. damn choss!)

apollodorus

Jul 15, 2003, 7:32 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've gotten crap in my eyes a few times (and not just from climbing) that have scratched them. The scratches healed OK after about a week or so. But, see the Doc. In the meantime, stay hydrated by drinking lots of water. It seems like your eyes are the second thing to go dry (after your mouth) when you're thirsty.

allan_thomson

Jul 15, 2003, 9:39 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
after 2 days of climbing at vantage my right eye is slightly blurry. at the end of day 2 i noticed lots of dirt and small rock scraps all over my face, then i became aware that my vision is a bit fuzzy, it is still blurred the next day. there must be a small scratch somewhere, i have heard that this type of slight eye scratch often heals itself. anyone have this experience? of course i should see a Dr. so don't bother to remind me, thanks for any good info.

Important notice:
Never touch anything which is sticking to or embedded in the eyeball, or on the coloured parts of the eyes.

If under the upper eyelid, pull upper one over the lower, and this will brush object out. Also blinking underwater may float the object out.

Failing that:
Tilt head to injured side, (so the foreign body doesn't run into the other eye) and wash the rock out using clean running water. Under no account rub your eye. (If you have a 1st aid kit, its worth investing in an eyebath, and eyewash).

If it is on the whites, you may also be able to lift it off with a moist swab, or a damp (and clean) tissue. (Not recommended for those who don't know what they're doing, also take note of the above warning).

If the object is embedded in the eye, and can't be washed out then cover the injured eye with an eye pad (and cover the uninjured one as well, as it prevents the eyes moving, which may scratch the injured one), and take to hospital.

I have occasionally had problems with bits of grit when looking up for handholds, and so have invested in a pair of those industrial goggles (swimming goggles would do the job as well, and are more lightweight) to protect my eyes (Go on laugh, if you want to, but its just the same as wearing a helmet, and a dam site better than getting crap in your eyes). You could even wear tinted Ski goggles, which would prevent glare from the sun blinding you.

totigers

Jul 15, 2003, 11:01 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had metal in my eyes and one piece accually reshaped the iris so instead of being round like a basket ball, it is more oblong like a football. Now I can't see at night. So check it out.

allan_thomson

Jul 18, 2003, 6:20 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I had metal in my eyes and one piece accually reshaped the iris so instead of being round like a basket ball, it is more oblong like a football. Now I can't see at night. So check it out.

Footballs are round. Rugby balls are oblong. :wink: :wink:

tori

Aug 29, 2003, 7:11 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good news on this one, your eye will heal completely from minor sscrapes like this. i had blurred vision for about 20 days, but now am back to normal. watch your leader, but don't look up all the time, ok, that makes no sense, but if you are leading and kick down even the smalllest rock/dirt/crap/clump, say something like "rock, small rock" so your belayer can look away. saves the 20 day wait.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook