Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Climbing Photography:
In the market for an SLR any recomendations?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

cthcrockclimber

Jul 16, 2003, 3:28 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2521 views)
Shortcut

In the market for an SLR any recomendations?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been looking at the Minolta maxxum 5 with the zoom lens package. anybody know anything about this camera or does anyone have any suggestions for anything else, i'd like to keep it in the same price range. If you can help me it would be greatly apprecitated.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/...e&productId=13002057

garth

Jul 16, 2003, 3:56 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Re: In the market for an SLR any recomendations? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Two things to consider:

1. Are you sure you don't want to get a digital camera? Yes, it's more money, but if you get a 4megapixel camera you can have prints made, and with a decent sized flash card you have basically unlimited film for trying things out, and you only need to print the best pictures. The future of photography is digital.

2. Consider Cannon or Nikkon. In the world of Photography, their lenses have the biggest following. Not only will this give you good resale value if you ever decide to sell, but it will also let you pick up some lenses on the used market.

styndall

Jul 16, 2003, 4:11 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm quite fond of my practically antedeluvian Canon A-1. It's got few bells and whistles, and it's a really solid manual camera. You can probably find some for sale on ebay.

cthcrockclimber

Jul 16, 2003, 4:21 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I already have a sony cyber-shot digital camera that i got last year and i love it, but i do still want an SLR

krillen

Jul 16, 2003, 6:29 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Minolta has fantastic gear. Don't be swayed by the Nikkon/Canon follwers. They offer great gear (don't get me wrong), but Minolta equipment is excellent quality as well.

I'm not sure how much more it is, but I have heard wonderful things about the Maxxum 7, and most of the larger companies will have body/lens deals, so look around and price compare. The MAxxum 5 is decent, but the 7 offers afew things that will come in handy in the future.

If this is your first forray into SLR photography, you may want to look into getting a used body which will allow you to purchase more/faster lenses for your cash output. This is the route I took, and I have no complaits. Plus this way you can reduce your initial investment incase SLR isn't your cup of coffee.

Most decent Camera shops wil have a good used section. Ask lots of questions, and take your time. Don't get pushed into buying alot of fancy stuff thinking it will make you a fantastic photographer, your skills with the equipment are what makes/breaks photos.

Cheers

sharpender

Jul 16, 2003, 6:46 PM
Post #6 of 14 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Canon and Nikon are the leaders in SLR cameras. Digital is the future of photography and both of these companies make Digital SLR cameras with interchangeable lenses. I'm not saying don't buy an SLR, but if you go with one of these cameras and later want to move into or add a quality Digital, you'll have a system that you can upgrade and use the same lenses, flash, filters, etc... Canon has a great Digital in the D60. These cameras are expensive now - 1000 and up. I have used a canon Elan and found it to be an excellent camera with great glass and quality features. I also use a Nikon F4 and it has a rear curtain shutter that can allow great techniques with low light and flash. Nikon has other models with these features for less $$$. Good luck and enjoy.

willstrickland

Jul 17, 2003, 4:26 PM
Post #7 of 14 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My thoughts:

Maxxum 5 is a fine, exceptionally light unit...but the auto power-on feature, where the camera comes to life when you grip the body, requires contact from your skin (i.e. it won't turn on if you're wearing gloves...something to think about if you're into alpine or ice).

Quality is comparable between the major brands, BUT there is a much greater selection of used gear for Canon and Nikon. This is an important consideration if you're going to build a good selection of lenses. I buy all my glass used, in excellent shape, at roughly 60% of what I would pay for new stuff. KEH.com is the best place for used gear and their ratings are spot-on. Most of my camera money is in the lenses.

A very important feature if you're shooting climbing seriously is the motor drive capability. The Elan 7E bodies I use shoot around 4fps, and I've added the power-pack /vertical grip accessory to them to enable using AA batts and to gain that vertical grip/shutter release. It allows me to use much cheaper AA batts, and change batts about half as often. It also means I can carry one size of batts for my headlamp, walkman, two-way radios, and camera gear.

Personally, I shoot Canon EOS stuff, although I have more Sigma lenses than Canon (comparable quality at much lower cost). Don't be afraid of the used market. KEH has a huge inventory and a 30day return policy. Also, put your money in glass first...a cheap body with great glass will still take great pics, a pro body with cheap glass will take bad pics.

Have fun.

rwaltermyer

Jul 17, 2003, 4:38 PM
Post #8 of 14 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nikon N80.
Has more innovations that even the F5 (minus the fast AF).
Awesome camera. On demand grip lines, auto-illumination of 5 AF spots.
Definitely recommended.

randy

melekzek

Jul 17, 2003, 4:46 PM
Post #9 of 14 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you are going to buy new stuff, here is a good place to check
Hotbuyelectronics

psych

Jul 17, 2003, 5:46 PM
Post #10 of 14 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Minolta XD-5, solidly built (not plastic like most of the new SLR's), full manual, only auto is aperature, or exposure, or both. No auto focus, or things like that (preferred, in my opinion). Very nice feel, takes good pictures, and is only like a hundred bucks on Ebay for a mint condition used one with a lens. :-)
Mike...
--Totally biased, as I am...for sample pics, unfortunately poorly scanned ones, check out my site, in the Wells Gray section, all were taken with my XD-5.

cthcrockclimber

Jul 17, 2003, 8:40 PM
Post #11 of 14 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the advice guys! Mike, great pictures, hope mine come out just as nicely when I finally decide.

bman505

Jul 28, 2003, 5:08 AM
Post #12 of 14 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree with rwaltermyer.
The NIkon N80 is a sweet camera. I don't know about
comparing it with the others you had in mind, but mine has been nothing but nice to me. Lots of features, not too heavy, and from a dependable company.

adeptus

Jul 28, 2003, 9:36 AM
Post #13 of 14 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also use a Nikon N80 and I'm very pleased with it. It's a semipro camera with all the features you could wish for. I especially like the Matrix metering system because the exposure is always right on, even in difficult lighting like snow. If you use this camera with prime lenses and a roll of Velvia your results will be of professional quality.

barryglading

Jul 28, 2003, 1:49 PM
Post #14 of 14 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Used Nikon F, or FM (smaller). Excellent basic, tough (very!), reliable, non-electronic (important :) ), huge lens selection - can't go wrong for outdoor use, from my experience.
I have to confess to lusting after a small simple digital to replace my old yellow Minolta waterproof point and shoot, tho, for those off the hip, one handed, hanging on for dear life moments! I rather think I'll have to think of such as a 'disposable' as I suspect the basic toughness of a 35mm isn't built into digitals (yet?). Anyone have any encouragement for me on that aspect of digital?
Cheers
Barry

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook