Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

clymber

Jul 21, 2003, 6:14 PM
Post #26 of 41 (2501 views)
Shortcut

Re: Recommendations for road bike? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

depending on how tall you are i might be able to help you..i have a trek that im trying to get rid of...its all aluminum sti shifters think it has all xr shimano gears...if you are interested send me a PM maybe we make the trade in the gunks some weekend...

roughster

Jul 21, 2003, 6:29 PM
Post #27 of 41 (2501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Woot another vote for Team Specialized! :)

I'm right there with you Sid and I love my Elite as well. If you decide to go with aerobers, I got the Profile Designs Airstrikes, which are good for multi-grip postioning and are easy enough to slide the bars back in the brackets and adjust the armpads back to make it short enough to allow for a non-stretched aero position.

The only thing is you can't put endbar shifters on them. I am thinking I will save those for my next bike which will be a a true tri-bike like Quintana Roo or something similar. Steep angles on the tubes and pretty much set up for aero/tris 100% of the time.

Regardless, I have put a lot of miles on my Elite since I got it, including over a 100 mile ride and I personally don't think steel is that much more comfortable. Since Ironmans are only 112 miles, if you can get through it your $$. Besides steel is heavier and when you putting it all on the line, every ounce makes a difference. I was amazed at how much the full throttle 56 mile bike leg took out of me when I did my 1/2 Ironman! I am not knocking steel, but since your going to be doing tris, might as well set yourself up to suceed in those.

Anyways, good luck with your new bike and get out their and lay down some miles!

gunkiemike

Jul 21, 2003, 10:13 PM
Post #28 of 41 (2501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd say get a lightly used bike. Get oversize aluminum e.g. Klein - my ride, or carbon if you can. Definitely get an aero bar. Use the narrowest tires consistent with your weight. I weighed 150 when I tri'ed and used 20 mm race rubber. Train on the hills. Do time trials to find your race pace. Have fun.

dalai

Jul 22, 2003, 12:13 AM
Post #29 of 41 (2501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congratulations on your purchase sid_rock.

Adjustable aero bars as roughster suggested will be a ideal for time trialling. Allowing you to adjust your position as you improve is crucial as therelic advises.

Welcome into the club.

Cheers Martin

PS Is everyone else also glued to the TV watching the Tour De France unfold?

rocknmedic

Jul 22, 2003, 12:16 AM
Post #30 of 41 (2501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

look at different bikes, then check ebay, my buddy just picked up a softride that was 3 years old, in perfect shape for about $800. If you want to do tri's invest in a tri bike vs a road bike, you will be amazed at the difference it makes.

hasbeen

Jul 22, 2003, 12:44 AM
Post #31 of 41 (2501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Laugh now, but if you really get into cycling, all roads leads to triathlons

This comment is ridiculous. What, in fact, does it mean? The biking you do in a triathlon is like comparing an ascent of the Nutcracker to Astroman when you're comparing what it takes to race in a road race or crit. Tris are cool because they combine sports and are painful. But they are no more painful than road races on a bike and require precious little skill. For people that like excitement (climbers tend to fall into this group), road bike racing is friggin' pure adreneline. Nothing during a triathlon will ever compare to the rush you feel when you need to keep it together at 30mph bumping elbows with people on either side of you, or jockeying for position when descending in a pack at 50mph. It's nuts. Multi's offer a lot of satisfaction, because you need to be able to suffer, but bike racing requires you to suffer just the same, only under duress--much more like climbing. I do both, and enjoy both, but tris are sportclimbing and bike races are R/X trad routes at your limit. I often opt for the former, but there is no question as to which offer the biggest rewards and provide the fondest memories.

ps - leaderbikes would have been a score, but the bottom line is that when you want a bike you need to buy one, period. Nothing else matters except that you get out riding, and get out as soon as you can. Have fun!

roughster

Jul 22, 2003, 2:19 AM
Post #32 of 41 (2501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

This comment is ridiculous. What, in fact, does it mean? The biking you do in a triathlon is like comparing an ascent of the Nutcracker to Astroman when you're comparing what it takes to race in a road race or crit. Tris are cool because they combine sports and are painful. But they are no more painful than road races on a bike and require precious little skill. For people that like excitement (climbers tend to fall into this group), road bike racing is friggin' pure adreneline. Nothing during a triathlon will ever compare to the rush you feel when you need to keep it together at 30mph bumping elbows with people on either side of you, or jockeying for position when descending in a pack at 50mph. It's nuts. Multi's offer a lot of satisfaction, because you need to be able to suffer, but bike racing requires you to suffer just the same, only under duress--much more like climbing. I do both, and enjoy both, but tris are sportclimbing and bike races are R/X trad routes at your limit. I often opt for the former, but there is no question as to which offer the biggest rewards and provide the fondest memories.

Heheh I figured someone would comment on that line :) I actually think you have a good analogy, but you have the two activities reversed. Triathlons are a thinking man's game. You cannot tackle longer distances Tri (1/2 IM and up) on physical ability alone. Nor can you focus on training exclusively on one pursuit. You want to know what a RL example of road vs tri is like??

Steve Larsen. He has raced as a team mate on the Postal Team w/Lance and is an amazing rider. He recently (last two years) started doing tris. Here we have a rider at the peak of his sport and while he has done well at the tris, he is not a serious contender for "Best Triathlete" or anything even close. Simply put, you cannot win a triathlon by dominating a specific discipline: hence bike ='s sport climbing, Scary Ass Trad route would be Triathlons. Sport climbing is about mastering physical difficulty, i.e. one aspect of climbing, trad climbing is about mastering gear, being calm cool and collected, as well as the climbing which would be = to triathlons (multiple tasks).

Ever open water swam any distance?? 1-2 mile + /etc... Very challenging and something that probably 95+% of an off the couch american could not do. Most american's could off the couch century ride if a gun was put their head, but those same finishers would drowned on the gun to the head 1 mile + swim challenge.

But wait! After swimming 2.4 miles (an unfathomable distance for someone who has never actually attempted to swim that far especially in open water with others smacking into with arms/legs flailing) you get to bike 112 miles. 112 miles that right, and this is AFTER you get done swimming. Ok so you think you got the bike handle hasbeen, well good, cause your going to need it when you have to run a FULL MARATHON after the swim and the bike!

It takes a triathlete a TON of mental and physical discipline to overcome those nagging voices in your head after you have been working at redline physical activity for 5 hours +. Pros take slightly over 8 hours to do a full IM, an average age grouper 12-15 hours.

12-15 hours of NON-STOP punishment and exercise, and remember that last leg is a marathon! Anyone who belittles triathlons and says that they are akin to "Sport climbing" as compared to road races to "Trad R/X Climbing" is completely off his rocker IMO.

Reread your own examples, you totally describe Road Races/TT as "Pure Adrenaline" fast hard and furious. That to me sounds like Sport Climbing.

Traithlons are long arduos, require more skill (what are you thinking saying road races require more skill??) because there are THREE disciplines to train and master. In addition, there is a mental aspect of tris, the ability to push yourself beyond your comfort zone, which is much more analagous to head pointing.

Anyways, I think your comments are pretty funny to say the least. All roads lead to triathlons because simply put, one discipline is not enough for most people. Why else would most climbers also do other activities??? Because the human mind craves new experiences and ones that push itself outside of it's comfort zones. Sure road racing is hard, but it, like climbing, is quickly mastered as a finite activity and then its training for incrementally small improvements in speed.

By virtue alone of spreading yourself over 3 disciplines, you have more skills to learn master and also juggle in combination with Tris. Whats funny is all of the road racers I know all started talking about tris to me after I got into them. They were all psyched to hear about them and many of them are considering doing their 1st soon.

I would say that the Jack of All Trades, Master of None analogy is the most appropriate when comparing Tris to Road Races. RR/TTs are masters at their craft and spend their time focusing on it exclusively to the point of little else. Traithletes must spread themselves over many activities, and while mastering none, they put together a certain skillset that few in America can actually match, or say they have done something even remotely "analogous".

Becoming "An Ironman" is something to be proud of till the day you die. Finishing 1st in a RR/TT??? Forgotten tomorrow :)

pico23

Jul 22, 2003, 9:51 PM
Post #33 of 41 (2501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quintana Roo. Probably have to get it used for the price you are asking but SERIOUSLY consider a used bike. I stopped bying new bikes years ago and I have been sooooo happy because they come pre scratched and dented so I don't have to create a scene the first time it gets a scratch or dent. Plus, you can often get a $2000 bike that is in good to great shape for under $600. Bikes have a low resale value and I've always been happy with what I've gotten.

Anyway, QR makes both Road and TT/Triathlon bikes. I also like Specialized something like the S-Works or the Allez (do they still make the Allez?) are nice and reasonably affordable. Serrotta makes some awesome Titanium bikes for pretty cheap. Seven is also a great brand and Jamis is pretty reasonably priced. Steel is really the way to go because of it's ride. I had a few friends who bashed steel for years and then got steel bikes and won't go back. Now they make fun of me because I'm still riding my S-Works composite mountain bike.

I'd recommend against against a TT or Triathlon specific bike because the geometry doesn't lend itself to long training rides or road racing.

Good luck and let us know what you get

sid_rock

Jul 22, 2003, 10:04 PM
Post #34 of 41 (2501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Quintana Roo. Probably have to get it used for the price you are asking but SERIOUSLY consider a used bike...

Good luck and let us know what you get

I bought a 2003 Specialized Allez Sport.

cthcrockclimber

Jul 23, 2003, 3:02 PM
Post #35 of 41 (2501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My friend just sold his old Allez yesterday and is looking at a cannondale, you should check them out, i rode their 600 triple... very nice bike, i think that model is about 1200, but they have even cheaper models than that so you should check them out too.

furryfrisbee

Jul 23, 2003, 3:45 PM
Post #36 of 41 (2501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I read this and had to laugh. A pro road racer once described road racing as coffee, and track racing as a double expresso. You mention being in a pack at 30, imagine being in a pack at 35, with fixed gears and no brakes! With 34 degree banking in the turns! You can easily sprint to over 40, with your legs spinning at 140+rpm. Now THAT will get your heart beating! I've raced on the road, crits, TTs, and the track. Now I describe road races as group rides, with a sprint finish. I hope to get back on the track, and use the road to train for it. As for tri's, my knees can't take the pounding, but I have nothing but respect for tri-geeks. They train more, and dedicate more of their time and resources than any other sport I know of. A tri pro will spend more time training than ANY other pro. The tri amateurs I've ridden with are still better than 75% of the amatuer bike racers I've seen on the road, and normally don't have the elitist attitude we see way too much of. Just to clarify, I'm 42, so I only race for the fun of it, there is no money in it for me. I don't race anywhere near the money level.

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

For people that like excitement (climbers tend to fall into this group), road bike racing is friggin' pure adreneline. Nothing during a triathlon will ever compare to the rush you feel when you need to keep it together at 30mph bumping elbows with people on either side of you, or jockeying for position when descending in a pack at 50mph.

Simply put, you cannot win a triathlon by dominating a specific discipline: hence bike ='s sport climbing, Scary Ass Trad route would be Triathlons. Sport climbing is about mastering physical difficulty, i.e. one aspect of climbing, trad climbing is about mastering gear, being calm cool and collected, as well as the climbing which would be = to triathlons (multiple tasks).

Reread your own examples, you totally describe Road Races/TT as "Pure Adrenaline" fast hard and furious. That to me sounds like Sport Climbing.

Anyways, I think your comments are pretty funny to say the least. All roads lead to triathlons because simply put, one discipline is not enough for most people.

I would say that the Jack of All Trades, Master of None analogy is the most appropriate when comparing Tris to Road Races.

nobody

Jul 23, 2003, 4:43 PM
Post #37 of 41 (2501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How many more posters will chime in without reading the thread to learn that the bike has already been purchased?

sid_rock

Jul 23, 2003, 5:14 PM
Post #38 of 41 (2501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How many more posters will chime in without reading the thread to learn that the bike has already been purchased?

I was tempted to put a big "Bike Puchased Already!" post here to end further advice, but I chose not to, because the additional input may be useful to someone else in the future who needs advice on selecting a road bike (and actually takes the trouble to do a Forum search).

:)

hasbeen

Jul 24, 2003, 7:37 PM
Post #39 of 41 (2501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I'll continue to add to a thread that's probably not very interesting as it's way off topic, but, you are acting as if I've no idea what triathlons are--but I do them. Have you done a road race? Ah, then you may not know. ironmans are pretty awesome, especially in 8-ish hours, but I don't consider them the pinnacle of endurance sport. And I'd say that finishing an ironman won't hold a candle to finishing a major stage bike race. Now, I haven't done this (5 stages is my longest as we don't have options for longer at my level) but I do have some perspective.

I've done a 40-day event, where each day had some amount of activity at my limit. It was rugged.

One of these days was a 4-mile swim. Personally, I think open water swimming is easier, especially in the ocean because you're more buoyant. Another was a marathon, all on trails. These were some of my easier days. Other days required more power, like 400 boulder problems in a day, which is far more difficult than just plodding along. in fact, this one day caused pain in my toes for months afterwards. This 40-day stage event was far harder than anything else I've ever done. The difference between suffering day after day to the difference in one long sufferage is incomparable.

For long days, I've done stuff in the mountains like 40 peak days with over 20,000' elevation gain. Solo'd the entire Cathedral range (Cockscomb, Matthies Crest, Echos, Cathedrals, etc, etc) in 9-ish hours, Whitney car to car in 7, 68 sport routes in a day, 35 leads and a 35K run, hell, I can't remember what else... oh yeah, nearly died trying to break the record on Half Dome without any water (not always smart, but like pain)... oh, another day I rode 170-some-odd miles while climbing nearly 18,000' on my bike.

Anyway, I like multi-sports, and I like that they are safe. Doing them I push my physical limits without feeling like a may die, unless I don't hydrate properly (have gone hypothermic and spent time in the med tent). This I feel is similar to sportclimbing.

But bike racing holds a different rush. Physically maxed but needing to hold things together under pressure feels far more akin to keeping it together on 5.13 with a death fall, which was one of the most affecting experiences I've ever had. Bike racing isn't exactly the same--probably a good thing--but it's far closer than I'll ever get in a tri.

gideon

Jul 24, 2003, 8:01 PM
Post #40 of 41 (2501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I ride a Specialized Hard Rock with hybrid tires. It is the best bike I have ever owned and they are in your price range. Look at Rock Hoppers (specialized). I think these hold there price better than most bikes minus maybe cannondales but who wants to spend all of the freakin money for a cannon.

overlord

Jul 28, 2003, 7:34 PM
Post #41 of 41 (2501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bianchi, trek or battaglin

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook