Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

climbingcowboy

Jul 30, 2003, 5:38 AM
Post #1 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Backpacking Stoves
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys I need some info on what stove to pick up for backpacking, my friend just got me a gift cert. to REI and thats what I'm going to pick up. .

Heres some info to help out. First I dont do any Alpine stuff, and I'm too slow to sleep-in on a big wall and have cofffee like some people so I wont be taking it up on a wall anytime soon. Second I usally just take one pot and heat with a campfire but i'm tired of doing that. Third I want something easy to setup and clean if need be, and will keep working.

I know nothing about these stoves so any info is cool Thanks

jeffers_mz

Jul 30, 2003, 5:42 AM
Post #2 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Re: Backpacking Stoves [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought an MSR Pocket Rocket about 4 years ago, and just picked up a second one in case they ever stop making them. 'Nuff said.

jookyhead

Jul 30, 2003, 5:46 AM
Post #3 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My stove is made of a tuna fish can :D I got the design from a guy I met while on the Pacific Crest Trail (he was doin the whole thing, I wasn't) It's pretty nifty if I do say so myself. Cheap and weighs next to nothing.

cracksniffer

Jul 30, 2003, 6:28 AM
Post #4 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've recently started using an Ezbit pocket stove, which burns solid fuel tabs. Actually, all it REALLY is a metal holder for your pot and the tablet. The thing is little bigger than a bar of soap and weighs about the same. Hiked for four days on the John Muir Trail in late June with it and even used it on a four day trip with my wife. Seems like it would meet your needs, and you could blow the rest of that gift certificate on a polypropylene bikini (for your S.O., if not for yerself) or a canoe maybe.

sixter

Jul 30, 2003, 6:50 AM
Post #5 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've recently started using an Ezbit pocket stove, which burns solid fuel tabs.

I have used an Ezbit for many years, my "toy" steam engine used the same fuel. I like it, and have taken it on many a day hike to heat up a can of chili or something. I also really like my MSR wisperlite international, multi fuel convenience is a plus with that one.

At my REI they are always helpful and knowledgeable. I recommend just going down there and talking to them.

rcaret

Jul 30, 2003, 7:06 AM
Post #6 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The pocket rocket is a great small stove although canister stoves can be a problem in very cold weather and it is hard to tell how much fuel is left, The Svea 123R is a liquid fuel stove and was originally for climbing , It works great even in cold weather and can be refiled so you know how much fuel is left,The MSR XGK Expedition is another liquid fuel stove that is great for very cold weather however it dose not have a very fine flame adjustment as it is mostly for melting snow and boiling watter ,The Snow Peak White Gas Stove Set is a very good liquid fuel stove , lite ,Fine flame adjuster for cooking and about the lightest of the white gas stoves, i've been climbing and backpacking so long I own all the above and have found that no one stove dose it all , Figure what type of camping or climbing you want to do and look at the drawbacks of the various stoves.

beyond_gravity

Jul 30, 2003, 7:12 AM
Post #7 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MSR Whisperlite. It's a light, dependable stove for a good price.

My friend has a Primus stove thats liquid fuel. It works great, but it sounds like a jet engine. I wouldn't get it for any other reason then that.

If you use it any more then a few times a year, get a liquid fuel stove.

climbingcowboy

Jul 30, 2003, 7:14 AM
Post #8 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I looked at the Ezbit but I dont get how it works? But you cant beat the price 9.99

How do you adjust the flame?

How many of those bars do you go through?

sixter

Jul 30, 2003, 7:22 AM
Post #9 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I looked at the Ezbit but I dont get how it works? But you cant beat the price 9.99

How do you adjust the flame?

No flame adjustment, other than how much fuel you have burning at a time. You basically light the fuel block on fire with a match, or lighter. It has been a while since I have used it, so I don't remember how long a block burns for, but I think it took 2 blocks to heat up a can of chili in the can at 9500 ft, would have taken less if I used a pot.

They are great for emergencies too. I would recommend getting one just to have as a possible back up to another stove.

strongerthanyesterday

Jul 30, 2003, 8:49 AM
Post #10 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey, the kids at REI go through a ton of training. When you go to the shop an employee can help you decide which is best for you. They even let you light them up. Just go to camping and ask for help with the stoves and they'll ask you a bunch of questions. I got the msr whisperlite international.

mike

Jul 30, 2003, 11:19 AM
Post #11 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pocket Rocket is a good stove, I use a good bit, not too stable though, larger pots tend to sit on the tips of the prongs and they will slide with certain pots (titanium), you can also use Giga canisters with it, they don't say you can, but I do it all the time. I haven't used the MSR superfly, but it looks like it would be more stable and you can use msr, camping gaz, primus, and epi canisters. I use a coleman exponent stove most of the time. It is very stable, has a good simmer, and connecting the canister is quick, but you can only use coleman powermax canisters. I find it best when very cold. Performance at altitude and when very cold is a function of the canister, not the stove. The only time I use my white gas stove is when I don't have a canister available..that's the good thing about those, fuel is always available, but for the conditions that it sounds like you will be using the stove, I would get a canister stove, just because they are so much easier to use.

orangekyak

Jul 30, 2003, 11:28 AM
Post #12 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm going to go against most of the beta here ... rei is not always helpful. they are trained to sell, not to inform. any informing they do is caused by that individual salesperson knowing something (or not) and telling you about it while trying to make a sale ...

and the whisperlite is an ok backpacking stove. consider a coffee can stove if you are capable with a cooking fire. this link: http://www.monmouth.com/~mconnick/stove.htm gives you info about a "three fuel stove" made from a coffee can, a tuna can and some wire mesh (hardware store). I've simplified mine to a coffee can twig stove.

for the twig stove, you need a "normal" sized coffee can (with no coffee in it, genius) and some tin snips (buy at hardware store or borrow from a friend). a metal file is nice too.

keep the bottom on the can, but snip out two slits in the sides, right by the bottom. these air intakes should be about 1.5 inches wide and 1 inch tall, with about an inch of can separating them. along the top, the exhausts should be three snips about 3/4 inch tall and 1.5 inches wide, spread around the top to leave pot supports. I'll post a picture soon.

oldrkr

Jul 30, 2003, 12:46 PM
Post #13 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Coleman and MSR make good gear at reasonable prices and hold up well. Coleman Exponent $50, and Apex II $60, MSR Whisperlite Shaker $60 are all worthy of consideration. Own all 3. Easy to get parts should you ever need. Of course you can go out and spend more bucks if you want. Snow Peak has some new Titanium stoves out that rock. But c-note plus on the prices.

mnutz

Jul 30, 2003, 1:51 PM
Post #14 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey guys I need some info on what stove to pick up for backpacking, my friend just got me a gift cert. to REI and thats what I'm going to pick up. .

Heres some info to help out. First I dont do any Alpine stuff, and I'm too slow to sleep-in on a big wall and have cofffee like some people so I wont be taking it up on a wall anytime soon. Second I usally just take one pot and heat with a campfire but i'm tired of doing that. Third I want something easy to setup and clean if need be, and will keep working.

I know nothing about these stoves so any info is cool Thanks

From your description, you want the MSR Pocket Rocket. You'll love it. Simple, lightweight, compact, reliable, cheap. Tip... keep some matches inside the little plastic case.

tcollins

Jul 30, 2003, 2:23 PM
Post #15 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Whisperlite and like it a lot. However, I've learned that while backpacking I really only boil water, so I've switched to a Cat stove. It's much lighter. I only bring the big stove when car camping and frying a lot of bacon is called for.

Well Orange only gave you one option, so I'll give you the rest of the make your own stove options. Look here:
http://www.backpacking.net/makegear-left.html

Good luck. If you make your own you can use the money for other things. Best of both worlds.

TD

bluelip

Jul 30, 2003, 2:34 PM
Post #16 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whatever brand you buy, I'd stay away from the ones that use fuel cannisters. I prefer the dual fuel variety that will allow me to use whatever liquid fuel is available.

Mike Coles
'bluelip'

pehperboy

Jul 30, 2003, 3:00 PM
Post #17 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get the best stove you can within your budget that suits your needs. If you are going on a high altitude expedition, get a multi-fuel stove that can work well at high altitudes. If you are hiking low level terrain that will resemble more of a forced march by a German soldier (for whom the Ezpbits were made) then go with the Ezbit. I suspect though you will settle for something in between. I second those who have suggested the Pocket Rocket or the Whisperlite. Anything by MSR is good quality.

garth

Jul 30, 2003, 3:01 PM
Post #18 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do a bit of backpacking, and I love my Alcohol stove. It's basically a round can that you pour denatured alcohol into, and then light. There is no control for the flame, but it's lightweight, and there are no moving parts or hoses to break or get clogged. It's simple to setup, and easy to use. It was cheap too. Fuel is about $5 for 32 ounces. The best part of this stove is the simplicity. As long as I have fuel, this stove is going to work. Period. As I like to hike alone, this is very important to me.

The new smaller stoves that use cannisters are nice too. They are very simple and easy to use as well. I used one that was similar to the pocket rocket in Yosemite, and it was really nice. They are more pricey though, and fuel is a little more expensive, and they are definitly more fragile.

Good luck!

veggieclimber

Jul 30, 2003, 3:30 PM
Post #19 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will agree with some of the other people who have posted here about MSR being great. I just got a DragonFly not too long ago and its great. Boils water super fast, and the adjustable flame lets me be a gourmet even in the wilderness. Its a little pricey, and does weigh a little more than a pound I think, but its sweet.

Just a note, be careful when you take it apart to clean it. I took mine apart as soon as I got it just to see how stuff worked, and managed to launch the check valve spring and ball on the pump somewhere into my backyard and had to get new pieces, but I wasn't exactly being careful either.

cracksniffer

Jul 30, 2003, 5:58 PM
Post #20 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

"How do you adjust the flame?"
... you can't, so wind can be a problem

In reply to:

One tablet will boil about 16 to 18 oz. of water, even at sea level. It won't boil that water for very long though (only a few minutes at sea level), so I've only tried cooking things like ramen, couscous, and Mountain House (dehydrated) stuff. On my JMT trip, I used two tablets a day, and was even able to brew a cup of hot coffee with my hot cereal. They are also great emergency fire starters.

I should credit the following website for my decision to go with the Ezbit:

http://www.ultralightbackpacker.com/

watersprite

Jul 31, 2003, 12:11 AM
Post #21 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My stove is made of a tuna fish can :D I got the design from a guy I met while on the Pacific Crest Trail (he was doin the whole thing, I wasn't) It's pretty nifty if I do say so myself. Cheap and weighs next to nothing.

I think I got one from that guy - it's a Pepsi can stove- you cook with alcohol

steepfish

Jul 31, 2003, 12:50 AM
Post #22 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whisperlit international by msr it runs on any type of fuel you just gotta change one little piece when you switch to kerosene good stove to have wen you cant get gas or other fuel

granitegod

Jul 31, 2003, 1:17 AM
Post #23 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

POCKET ROCKET!!!! JUST TOOK A TRIP WITH MY NEW ONE.....IT ROCKS FOR BOILING OR SIMMERING.

LIGHTEST STOVE OUT THERE. YES IT USES A FUEL CANNISTER WHICH COSTS A LITTLE MORE THAN WHITE GAS....NOT AS VERSATILE IF YOU'RE GOING TO THE HIMALAYAS.....BUT FOR LIGHT WEIGHT COMPACT HEATS LIKE A VOLCANO SIMMERS LIKE A MATCH.....IT CANT BE BEAT.

FOR TWO PEOPLE, ONE 8 OZ CANNISTER WAS ADEQUATE FOR A 3 DAY TRIP, BOILING 2 QUARTS FOR DINNER AND BREAKFAST.

clmbng_addict

Jul 31, 2003, 1:30 AM
Post #24 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I think I got one from that guy - it's a Pepsi can stove- you cook with alcohol

That's what a lot of AT thru-hikers use to cut down on weight. It's sweet--weighs about 1 or 2 ounces, burns alcohol fuel (cheap), and is free since you make it on your own (requires two empty soda cans). The downside is that there is no adjustable flame. If you do a google search on "soda can alcohol burner" you can find plenty of sites that have instructions on how to make one.

Personally, I use one of the coleman exponent dual fuel stoves. I think it's great.....a bit on the heavy side at 1.5 pounds, and it requires a bit of pumping when it's lit (it uses white gas), but it's reliable, has a decently adjustable flame, boils water pretty fast, is very stable, and durable. I wouldn't recommend this stove if you're into going ultralight though. It's a great stove, but just because of the weight thing i'm thinking of buying a small canister stove (maybe the pocket rocket) next.

One thing to keep in mind is the length of the trips you intend to use the stove on. IMHO, the longer you'll be out the more you'll want a liquid fuel stove rather than a canister one. The canister stove itself may be lighter, but eventually the weight and capacity of all the canisters you need to bring on longer trips adds up.

mattheww

Jul 31, 2003, 2:38 AM
Post #25 of 39 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been section hiking the AT with trips lasting around 2 weeks or around 200 miles(would love to have the time to thru-hike). I'd go with a canister stove if you are only planning a 3-5 day hike(at lower elevations) because of the light weight and ease of use. For higher elevations and/or week long hikes without resupply go with something like the Whisperlite/Simmerlite. I started with the Whisperlite international and now use the Simmerlite because the flame control is better. It IS heavier and you have to preheat it, but for longer hiking trips it's better because white gas (coleman fuel) is much easier to find than the fuel canisters. You also don't have to carry around empty fuel canisters until you run across a trash can. The Alcohol stoves are ok but they seemed to take a lot longer to boil water than the pressurized burners and the flame isn't adjustable...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook