RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

estherator

Aug 1, 2003, 6:09 PM
Post #1 of 20 (1859 views)
Shortcut

How many of you ladies cross train?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

And what are your favorite activities to do so? I get so bored with things like lifting weights (I did it for too long, and I can't stand being in a sweaty, smelly gym anymore) and yoga. It's too hot to run in Phoenix right now...

gretchino

Aug 1, 2003, 6:14 PM
Post #2 of 20 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Re: How many of you ladies cross train? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I cross train, only because I can't really climb as often as I'd like. I hike 2-3 days a week, lift weights about once a week (depending on how tolerant I'm feeling of the gym crowd :shock: ), yoga as often as I can, and sleep sleep sleep...
I'm a fan of the sleep routine. :wink:

Partner missedyno

Aug 1, 2003, 7:23 PM
Post #3 of 20 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i bike to work 3-4 times a week... that's 6km each way...

3 nights a week or as often as i remember i have some intense core muscle training that my partner and i do (not what your dirty minds are thinking! though i guess that too could be counted as exercise - tee hee :oops: )

in the winter i won't be biking so often so i'll join the gym at work - a few times a week for cardiovascular and light weight training.

enigma

Aug 1, 2003, 8:42 PM
Post #4 of 20 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i bike to work 3-4 times a week... that's 6km each way...

3 nights a week or as often as i remember i have some intense core muscle training that my partner and i do (not what your dirty minds are thinking! though i guess that too could be counted as exercise - tee hee :oops: )

in the winter i won't be biking so often so i'll join the gym at work - a few times a week for cardiovascular and light weight training.

I usually bike before work about 10mile each day, usually about 50-75miles per week.
Sometimes I go to the gym and run a few miles on the treadmill if I have the time too., at night . :P
I climb only on the weekends now, :cry:

maculated

Aug 1, 2003, 8:44 PM
Post #5 of 20 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I run daily in the morning for a half hour, sometimes also at night. Do yoga 3 times a week, bike every day to work and back (5 km?), and if I don't climb on the weekends, I ride hunter jumper. And yes, I do the horse stuff to cross train. You have no idea what kind of workout that is.

enigma

Aug 1, 2003, 9:17 PM
Post #6 of 20 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I run daily in the morning for a half hour, sometimes also at night. Do yoga 3 times a week, bike every day to work and back (5 km?), and if I don't climb on the weekends, I ride hunter jumper. And yes, I do the horse stuff to cross train. You have no idea what kind of workout that is.

Is Hunter Jumper the name of your horse???
Hmmn Lucky You, I want a horse too. :wink:
Sounds Like a Great Workout, plus you can give him carrots, and apples and he knows you. :P

maculated

Aug 1, 2003, 9:35 PM
Post #7 of 20 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Muwhahaha!!! If I had money I might have a horse!! Hunter/Jumper is the style of riding. My friend is a horse trainer. :)

rockbabe

Aug 1, 2003, 11:22 PM
Post #8 of 20 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I try to get on a treadmill between flights...it is hard to schedule training when work hours are so haphazard.

climbinggirl33

Aug 1, 2003, 11:29 PM
Post #9 of 20 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb better when I cross train - that is if I give myself enough recovery time (which is the hard part - sitting still is not my forte).

I typically climb 3 days a week - and on my off days I:

Run or Walk (depending on the bum knee)
Do Yoga or Pilates (or both)

If also throw in some weight workouts every once in a while (should do more for those opposing muscles).

While this doesn't feel like training I try to mix up my outdoor play time with some kayaking and horseback riding when I need variety.

B

lilred

Aug 2, 2003, 12:14 AM
Post #10 of 20 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's my shezule:

Monday:
AM run
PM tri's, delts, pushups and situps/a wee bitt of Pilates/stretch

Tues:
CLIMB
pull-up program

Weds:
AM run
PM Bikram yoga

Thurs:
CLIMB
carbo-load after climb aka:drink beerz

Fri:
AM run

Sat & Sun
CLIMB

calliope

Aug 3, 2003, 11:28 PM
Post #11 of 20 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb M-W-F , train at the gym with my trainer T, TH, try to get one more day of cardio in on Saturday or Sunday and try to get out and do something like hike, or kayak as well on Sunday.

I need to find a way to work yoga into my routine. I think the flexibility would really help with my climbing but in short, yup.

ecocliffchick

Aug 6, 2003, 6:42 PM
Post #12 of 20 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right now I'm doing field work, which means hiking with a 50lb pack to the cliff, rappeling and ascending cliff faces (with 20lbs of gear) and then hiking back out to the car for between 4 and 8 hrs a day, 5 or 6 days a week. I had hoped since I'd be at the cliffs evey day I'd be getting alot of climbing in...but it seems that after dangling in a harness and ascending fixed lines all day, I don't quite feel motivated to hike back out to the cliff and put the harness back on again.
I don't know whether this counts as cross training, but I've also been canoeing, kayaking and swimming in my downtime from work.
None of this seems to be helping my climbing, 'cause I don't really have any time to climb anymore!!!

winter

Aug 6, 2003, 8:23 PM
Post #13 of 20 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maculated..you ride, no way, me too! How cool is that. I have a horse that I can't afford to ride, so she's elsewhere right now :( Riding is super good excercise, those who don't ride dont' realise that it is either.
I also run, do asthanga yoga, hike, adn watch movies as my cross training!

fyreflii

Aug 6, 2003, 9:18 PM
Post #14 of 20 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I ride horses as well! I just started climbing a few weeks ago and I've already noticed a difference in my body control and endurance while riding. My boyfriend got me into climbing, so after riding six horses every morning, I go down the rock gym where he works and climb for a while. Other than riding and climbing, I try to fit in situps, pullups on the doorframe of my bathroom, and pushups daily. When I can't make it out to the barn (25 minutes away) or the gym (30 minutes the other way), I torture myself on the treadmill.

calliope

Aug 6, 2003, 10:06 PM
Post #15 of 20 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to ride as well, but it got too expensive for me. I'm hoping to get back into it. Or else I bought all of those breeches and riding boots for nothing... :roll:

winter

Aug 6, 2003, 10:24 PM
Post #16 of 20 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahh, the money gets you every time! There are cheaper ways to ride though if you avoid the snoby hunter/jumper barns. You can also not pay someone to take you to shows and go yourself and you can get a meat market cheap horse liek me. Good luck, you should totally start again!

beeper

Aug 6, 2003, 11:21 PM
Post #17 of 20 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I lift three times a week. Two upper body days (one "push" muscles one "pull" muscles) and one legs day. I also run and swim.

jaylaka

Aug 12, 2003, 5:44 AM
Post #18 of 20 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yep, in my teens i used to show hunters/jumpers/equitation. i love being around horses, and i'm looking forward to getting back into it once my son's older. :D

i run and lift to cross train. i run 2-3 times a week for a total of 10-20 miles a week and completed my first half marathon last may. (my dad's an ultrarunner, so he got me into it.) i also do an hour-long strength training/weight lifting class twice a week.

during the school year, i do the above and gym climb two times a week. during the summer, running takes a back seat to climbing. (since i'm a teacher, i was lucky enough to spend five weeks traveling this summer...didn't do any cross training that wasn't related to climbing. although hiking the approach and schlepping a 40 pound child around may count too). 8)

jen

Partner missedyno

Sep 25, 2003, 2:59 PM
Post #19 of 20 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing related thread in the ladies room!

what do you do to train for climbing?

azdesertgrl

Sep 26, 2003, 3:27 AM
Post #20 of 20 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been training 5 days a week in the gym with a personal trainer lifting weights and hiking one of the weekend days for the last 6 weeks while my lead climber has been out of town. Grrrrrr at that man!!!! I am hoping that it will help with my endurance and strength so that I can keep up with my partners. I know it will NEVER replace good ol pure rock time but a gal can hope it will help some. Am dying to get some quality time on the rocks and build those muscles my gym time can not (you know, hand, fingers, forearms, blah blah blah). *sigh*... does anyone else love the smell of the rock as you climb?

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook