RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

renhoek

Aug 7, 2003, 4:00 PM
Post #1 of 17 (2944 views)
Shortcut

ingrown toenail
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

im none to happy about an ingrown toenail that i had removed earlier today and i was wondering if anyone has had a partial removal of a toenail to get this fixed and how long it took to get back on the wall. the nail wont grow back fully but the Dr. said that it should be fine even without a nail in 2/3 weeks but i was wondering if anyone had any advice on when it would be ok for me to climb
any help would be much apreciated

bdawg

Aug 7, 2003, 4:05 PM
Post #2 of 17 (2944 views)
Shortcut

Re: ingrown toenail [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I had one of those, i wasn't into climbing when I had it, but I bet you could be climbing in a week. If you have really tight uncomfortable shoes tho, it may be 2 weeks.

texasclimber

Aug 7, 2003, 4:10 PM
Post #3 of 17 (2944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had a few of them...damn they hurt. I'm sure you will be able to climb in 1.5 weeks or so depending on your pain tollerance.

renhoek

Aug 7, 2003, 4:10 PM
Post #4 of 17 (2944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thnx for lettin me know that yeah my shoes are pretty tight and by the way i love your little icon thing with homestar and bubs its great

wonderwoman

Aug 7, 2003, 4:47 PM
Post #5 of 17 (2944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe I am on the way to having one removed - that is if it does not fall off by itself soon at this point. :cry:

Both my big toes are kind of half ingrown, half detached from so many injuries. I have been painting them for years.

On Monday I had a non-climbing freak office accident. I was wearing flip flops and stubbed my toe on the filing cabinet, further separating my toe nail from the toe. it started to bleed and hurt like a mother. Now it's all wiggly and sore.

I hope it's not infected although I can't tell what's going on under the nail because of years of dark nail polish build up. I've just been washing it and pouring peroxide under the nail - it is THAT separated. I believe the band aid is helping hold my toenail on, but if it weren't still a wound I would seriously consider super glueing it.

I don't know when I will be able to put my climbing shoes back on. Maybe I should go to the doctor and just suck it up. I am a wimp!!!

howdidshedothat

Aug 7, 2003, 6:07 PM
Post #6 of 17 (2944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I say hack the whole Damn toe off and you won't have to worry about it anymore! Hell, you might even climb better
:twisted:

dontfall

Aug 7, 2003, 6:21 PM
Post #7 of 17 (2944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had them in both of my big toes. I simply took nail clippers and tweezers and dug the jerks out till i had no more pain in my toes. However getting those buggers out of my toe wasn't that easy, hurt like hell and i did alot of screaming.

Some advice for getting them out, after taking a shower is the best time for you to try at them, the nail is soft and so is your skin.

Climb On :lol:

Chris

joegoesup

Aug 7, 2003, 7:13 PM
Post #8 of 17 (2944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would think you sould be in good shape after 2 weeks or so, You might want to wear a thin sock in your climbing shoe for a while.

jtme

Aug 7, 2003, 7:23 PM
Post #9 of 17 (2944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because of severe ingrown toenails on BOTH of my big toes, I had both toenails removed surgically. It took a solid month of healing to get to the point where I could put my climbing shoes on without discomfort. Do yourself a favor and let it heal. I couldn't imagine the pain of infection!!

-r-

risos

Aug 7, 2003, 7:24 PM
Post #10 of 17 (2944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The ingrown toenail is not the problem, I would make sure it stays clean untill your toenail is looking normal again specially if youre going to slip it into a dirty boot.... unless yuou want the nail to turn black, thick and soft from fongus....

Good luck

orseille

Aug 8, 2003, 4:27 AM
Post #11 of 17 (2944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok ... guys...

the key to the ingrown toenail problem... is less procrastination and more early intervention

A ) as soon as you see that big toenail getting red and starting to hurt... (more than the usual shoe pain)
you take your toe...

B) you take javex 1:10 (thats 1 part javex 10 parts water)
(you can also use salty water at a 0.9% concentration and it'll do the same job... If your to cheap to go to the drug store... then just boil some water... mix in as much salt as you can dilute in there let it cool off (obviously) a bit)
C) you soak that mother for about 15-20 minutes

you warm water it works better

give it a couple of soaks...
and in two days tops your back on your toes

but... at the level your at... take some ibuprofen for pain... and it'll shrink that inflammation (wich causes the pain)

after soaking it you can trim off the bit of nail that is tearing into your skin
heat reduces inflammation... so does ibuprofen (or aleve(naprosyn) but this one is a bit stronger and tuff on the stomache eat before you take it)

:wink:

hombre_x

Aug 8, 2003, 4:49 PM
Post #12 of 17 (2944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey,

I had to have the toenail removed on my left big toe. Yes, this hurts. For anyone who is wondering why early prevention is good, I'll toss these numbers at you:

4 surgeries
15 freezing needles (which are rather painful)
About 1/4 inch of bone removed from my toe
6 to 8 stitches in my toe

Yeah, take care of them. Cut your toenails straight across. It's not worth the time you have to take to fix them once they're screwed up. Easier just to take care of them early on. Take care.

Luke

bumblesbounce

Aug 10, 2003, 12:13 PM
Post #13 of 17 (2944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those things hurt... Take it easy. But damn' I'd rather have an ingrown toenail than none! Cause when they start to grow - IT HURTS! Good luck... byez

dymondbak37

Aug 10, 2003, 7:01 PM
Post #14 of 17 (2944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have had them in both of my big toes. I simply took nail clippers and tweezers and dug the jerks out till i had no more pain in my toes. However getting those buggers out of my toe wasn't that easy, hurt like hell and i did alot of screaming.

Some advice for getting them out, after taking a shower is the best time for you to try at them, the nail is soft and so is your skin.

Climb On

Chris

That's my method. Hell, it works fine.

joeschmoe

Aug 12, 2003, 2:05 AM
Post #15 of 17 (2944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:( yeah i have similar problems, and i've even done the cut the toenail straight across, even been trying to push the quick back by cutting very frequently. but like everyone else says, hot soaks and gentle persuasion. I've also been known to stick small pieces of cotton from q-tips under the ingrown part to persuade it to grow out more. It's helped, but the shoes still kill. if anyone knows of a good pair of slippers that are toe friendly, lemme know :)

blotched

Aug 12, 2003, 7:30 AM
Post #16 of 17 (2944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Climb On :lol:

Chris

He has two of them, and they're round.

dc

Sep 22, 2003, 12:52 PM
Post #17 of 17 (2944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey,
yeah ive had some drama in the past with my damn ingrown toe-nails...
my doc said no climbing for a while... but true to my nature.. i ignored that advise and climbed anyway... well as you could have expected, i was in absolute agony... so i did have to stop for a few weeks... also my mother tight Cobras didnt help the situation...

now every time i climb i have to cut my nails real short and then when i come back wash my feet in cold water and tidy the edges of the nail up.. which usually involves removing a slither of nail which has buried itself into my fleshy toe... its terribly painful... but its worth it.. just for climbing...

i know its an old thread.. but i thought i might as well share my experience about my damn toes...

its best to think of your ingrown toe-nails like another obstacle to overcome.. just like gravity.. it seems everything is against us reaching the summit :wink:

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook