RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

cthcrockclimber

Aug 8, 2003, 1:27 PM
Post #1 of 13 (1973 views)
Shortcut

NOLS-Outward bound
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anybody have any info on these, anybody ever gone with these programs rock climbing? I've gotten some information from them in the mail and it looks really cool. Any info you got would be appreciated.

bumblie

Aug 8, 2003, 1:40 PM
Post #2 of 13 (1973 views)
Shortcut

Re: NOLS-Outward bound [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check this link

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33551&highlight=nols

These programs are geared towards the all-around outdoor experience. If your looking for that and want to improve your rockclimbing skills, I'd recommend a NOLS rock climbing course.

However, if your sole interest is to increase your rockclimbing/alpine skills you may want to look elsewhere. Possibly the American Alpine Institute?

cthcrockclimber

Aug 8, 2003, 1:50 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks man, I just want to go on something out west and get some real climbing in. I live in CT and none of my climbing buds are ever available, they are always working at the gym so it is hard to go on trips and such.

xkyczar

Aug 8, 2003, 1:59 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Outward Bound also runs pure rock climbing courses. It looks like currently they (Outward Bound West) have 7 day rock climbing courses in Vedauwoo and the Sierras and a 14 day Alpine/Rock climbing course in the Sierras. I may be a bit biased as an ex-instructor but I think they are excellent courses if you are serious about learning to climb.

uncertaintyprinciple

Aug 8, 2003, 2:03 PM
Post #5 of 13 (1973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know much about NOLS, but Outward Bound is definitely more "soft skills" oriented. That is, the actvities in which they engage (climbing, kayaking, tripping, etc.) are designed more along the lines of personal and interpersonal development (self-discovery, team-building, etc.) than learning actual "hard", or technical, skills in any one activity. Still well worth experiencing though, if the price tag doesn't give you a coronary.

bumblie

Aug 8, 2003, 2:31 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't know much about NOLS, but Outward Bound is definitely more "soft skills" oriented. That is, the actvities in which they engage (climbing, kayaking, tripping, etc.) are designed more along the lines of personal and interpersonal development (self-discovery, team-building, etc.) than learning actual "hard", or technical, skills in any one activity. Still well worth experiencing though, if the price tag doesn't give you a coronary.

What he said.

nobody

Aug 8, 2003, 4:53 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I worked for COBS for a few years, and many friends worked for NOLS.

The "hard skills" vs. "soft skills" thing isn't too accurate. That really depends on what course you sign-up for, what your instructor is like, and what the other students are like - not easy to determine school-wide for either program.

My advice would be to look at course catalogues from both schools, and read between the lines. A mountaineering course in late August will likely be backpacking (due to lack of snow) at either school, but if you take the same course in May, you will be doing some serious snow travel. Also look at the mountain range - the softer the range, the "softer" the course.

With that said, if you are already a climber and are looking for pure rock climbing, neither school would be that great a choice. Go with a guide service, or a rock school that does nothing else.

With both NOLS and OB - even on one of their "rock" programs - you'll piss away all of your time learning how to belay all over again, climbing slabs on toprope, and waiting around for a rope to open up while everyone is chanting "You can do it! Put your foot up!" to some chump with a wedgie and knee socks who is really getting hauled up the climb, but it's still taking 1/2 an hour for 50 feet.

md

Aug 8, 2003, 5:33 PM
Post #8 of 13 (1973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I took a rock climbing specific course from Outward Bound in Joshua Tree. Week long climbing all day every day. Learned the basics from knots to anchors to placing pro. They don't let you lead but I didn't think that was a shortcoming based on my skill level at the time. I highly recommend OB. Very professional, well run course. We had people of all different abilities and I think we all had a chance to push ourselves. I've never been on a NOLS course so I can't compare but I would recommend Outward Bound to anyone looking for a solid course in the basics, and who wants to spend a lot of time on the rock. Call them up and let them know what you are looking for, be specific, they are very helpful.

crag

Aug 8, 2003, 5:50 PM
Post #9 of 13 (1973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you must spend your money then the best advice I can give you with previous experience as both a client and instructor is to accuretly and as detailed as possible convey to the agency you're wanting to hire your goals, wants, wishes and desires. Both NOLS & OB have been around for a long time and have good reputations. Either agency will tailor a course to meet your criterium although beit most likely on a private basis.

maynardgkrebs

Aug 8, 2003, 6:06 PM
Post #10 of 13 (1973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Through my work, I deal with instructors for both these organizations. Some of these folks really don't seem like the brightest bulbs in the marquis and/or seem grossly inexperienced (at least too inexperienced to be taking groups of kids out in the wilderness.)
If you really want to learn specifically about climbing, I'd recommend taking a course from or being guided by an A.M.G.A. certified guide.

cthcrockclimber

Aug 8, 2003, 6:20 PM
Post #11 of 13 (1973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A.M.G.A. doesnt offer college credits does it?

keinangst

Aug 8, 2003, 6:23 PM
Post #12 of 13 (1973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
waiting around for a rope to open up while everyone is chanting "You can do it! Put your foot up!" to some chump with a wedgie and knee socks who is really getting hauled up the climb, but it's still taking 1/2 an hour for 50 feet.

LMAO! That's the best thing I've read all day :lol:

petsfed

Aug 8, 2003, 6:38 PM
Post #13 of 13 (1973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've known tons of NOLS students (many of which were later OB instructors). The mountaineering programs are very good I'm told. Just their gear list for the Alaska trip is an educational experience.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook