RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

simzboardr

Aug 10, 2003, 4:32 AM
Post #1 of 14 (2791 views)
Shortcut

New biner concept, whatcha think
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

check out my newly patented design for a biner, tell me how you would use it.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=16220

punk

Aug 12, 2003, 12:27 AM
Post #2 of 14 (2791 views)
Shortcut

Re: New biner concept, whatcha think [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How much it cost you to patent it…GL to u
IMHO it is a waste of time and money specially when Lucky has a better one
:lol:

simzboardr

Aug 12, 2003, 3:31 AM
Post #3 of 14 (2791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yea better if you want some huge locker that looks like a saging weener. or you could have one the size of an oval with a lower gate that locks.

mreardon

Aug 12, 2003, 3:37 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Too many connect points, and too many moving parts to be a locker in my opinion.

dingus

Aug 12, 2003, 4:00 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I looked before and I looked again. Still I'm left with "whats it for?" It appears you have come up with an idea for a product with no purpose, hence your question, "what would you use it for?" When others tell you "not much" you come back with the end all of product development, "Screw you."

There have been lots of great products that have come from unintended uses of original ideas. Just can't think of one in this case. Apparently, no one else can either?

DMT

b_fost

Aug 12, 2003, 4:06 PM
Post #6 of 14 (2791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I looked before and I looked again. Still I'm left with "whats it for?" It appears you have come up with an idea for a product with no purpose, hence your question, "what would you use it for?" When others tell you "not much" you come back with the end all of product development, "Screw you."

There have been lots of great products that have come from unintended uses of original ideas. Just can't think of one in this case. Apparently, no one else can either?

DMT

I think simzboardr intended them for etrier use in aid climbing. Seems like they could also be used on qd's? maybe they could be used for racking individual pieces of pro? or maybe simz will show up here and completely contradict me.

jabtocrag

Aug 12, 2003, 4:12 PM
Post #7 of 14 (2791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you were smart to patent it, if you intend on trying to market it, but you haven't answered how much you paid for the patent...just curious, that's all!!

bdawg

Aug 12, 2003, 4:14 PM
Post #8 of 14 (2791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so how many forums about this biner are you going to start?

chitlinsconcarne

Aug 12, 2003, 7:04 PM
Post #9 of 14 (2791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I'm with Dingus on this, after close inspection, I can't find an app that would benefit fromthe lower gate lock. On the other hand, lack of a practical use hasn't stood in the way of the production of various other stuff, so...

Thinking about stuff is always good, this biner might not end up being the next big thing but nothing would ever get built if people didn't apply abrain power somewhere along the line.

Just some thoughts off the top of my noggin..
-the lower gate can't be flat. Or square.-
-If you blow the dimensions up to non "thinned down", theres going to be very little room for anything below th lower gate if this biner is the same size as a standard oval-
-The lower gate is going to very likely have to have the same gate-open rated strength as the biner body.-
-Any substantial weight applied to the lower gate is going to cause problems as the gate tries to move down the biner body.-

Good luck!

renobdarb

Aug 12, 2003, 7:15 PM
Post #10 of 14 (2791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
check out my newly patented design for a biner, tell me how you would use it.

I have to go with the majority on this one... it appears you have developed a biner without a practical use, hence your question... did you design this biner simply for the sake of designing a double gate biner? or was there some moment when you were climbing and said to yourself, "man, it would sure be nice to have an oval biner with two gates..."

so i guess, to answer your Question, "how would I use it?",

Answer: I wouldn't. how would you use it???

and don't get mad at me for saying so... if you don't want negative feedback, don't ask...

-b

vertical_reality

Aug 12, 2003, 7:23 PM
Post #11 of 14 (2791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only application that I can think of right now is for belaying. I use a DMM Belaymaster for my belay biner. I found that when I was belaying the biner would rotate and put itself in a crossloaded configuration, so I bought the DMM biner to ensure that it doesn't happen.

I'd also say that it'd work for quickdraws to make sure that the biner on the bolt end does not rotate either but most QD's already take this into consideration and have rubber at that end to make it stick.

So even though it's a good idea, I can't think of anything to actually use it for.

the_pirate

Aug 12, 2003, 7:48 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's how I'd use it:

Put it on my desk so I'll have to look at it all day and be reminded not to waste my money on such useless sh!t.

rogueclimber

Aug 12, 2003, 7:48 PM
Post #13 of 14 (2791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is the third post I have read about this biner so I'm finally going to ask, how is this biner any better, any safer, any stronger, any easier to use, any lighter or any cheaper than a BD oval ??

simzboardr

Aug 13, 2003, 4:56 AM
Post #14 of 14 (2791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im sorry if i posted in the aid and trad sections, i was just looking for more feedback. here is how i would use it

1. the obvious aider daisy set up.
2. racking cams, i hate when the biner flips and you waiste time trying to take it off your harness.
3. at the top of a sport climb or just a climb with anchors i would slam one into each bolt and tighten the lower gate with a wrench (assuming i was the one in charge of the area and had permission). this would allow easy set up and tear down of belays, save yourself from bringin extra biners.
4. quick draws, never have to deal with rubberbands or other techniques. your biners would never rotate and it would save a mess
5. in the gym... want to have a sport route but tired of people taking the biners off the draws, use these guys and go at it with a wrench again to lock them in place.
6. a permanant biner to a harness (or atleast semi-permanant) racking nut tool, hooks, heads or other stand alone protection. simply attach the lower gate section to a gear loop or one of those accesory wholes in a petzl harness and have a biner upside down and ready to rack with.

so i could go on but i intended to get some more ideas out of you guys. maybe it is pointless and im just rambeling but hey maybe next time if you know this post is gonna piss you off, just pass over it don't click on it. and hey dont' run your mouth about it. please im just tryin to get some ideas, i dont' need all the bashing.

the cost of the patent, right now i have patent pending and a provisional patent, i payed $180 for an open end one year patent that can be turned into a full patent at any time for around $10,000 but thats why im trying to sell the idea, so i don't have to pay for the patent. The reason i am asking for climbers opinions is becasue the company i am working with wants to know all the uses to see how they would need to re design it.
Thanks to all those that help me out.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook