RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

sync

Aug 26, 2003, 6:24 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2618 views)
Shortcut

New Climber!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, here's my chance to spray! ;)

I've been climbing now for two months (having started at the ripe age of 30), with a trip out to Devil's Lake with the Hoofers Mountaineering Club for some top-roping almost every weekend. I have sent mostly 5.4s and even a 5.5!

I really love the sport, for both its physical and mental intensity. I hadn't expected it to be quite so mentally challenging. There have been a few climbs during which I've come to the point of giving up, but have pushed and succeeded. What a great feeling! :D

I hope to get more comfortable on the rock, build up some finger strength, and be able to climb some harder routes by the end of the season. I look at a lot of the pictures on this site and am jealous of what people are accomplishing. I know that I'll never be awesome or anything, but for now I am really enjoying it.

Climb on!

-sync

neomagi

Aug 26, 2003, 6:39 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2618 views)
Shortcut

Re: New Climber! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

good for you. you will find your balance of pushing the grade and loving the line.

some of my favourite routes are 5.6 & 5.7's.

shoot me a message if you are interested in a trip south this fall.

musicheck

Aug 26, 2003, 6:58 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a beginning climber in the midwest also. Got outside for the first time (at the lake) last week. (I've climbed for about a year at Hidden Peak in Chicago.)
Its so nice to climb with a view rivaling one on top of a nice summit (small one) in the background. If you havn't yet, you MUST try double overhang (5.4 100 ft tall, and one of the nicest lines i've seen.) :D :D :D :D :D :D

redpoint73

Aug 26, 2003, 7:05 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I look at a lot of the pictures on this site and am jealous of what people are accomplishing. I know that I'll never be awesome or anything, but for now I am really enjoying it.

How do you know that??? Don't limit yourself. I know guys that had a much later start than you and crank HARD. Just have fun and learn, the crazy steep stuff comes later.

duracellbunny

Aug 26, 2003, 7:16 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome to RC.com and to the climbing world!!!!

sync

Aug 26, 2003, 7:25 PM
Post #6 of 14 (2618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm a beginning climber in the midwest also. Got outside for the first time (at the lake) last week. (I've climbed for about a year at Hidden Peak in Chicago.)
Its so nice to climb with a view rivaling one on top of a nice summit (small one) in the background. If you havn't yet, you MUST try double overhang (5.4 100 ft tall, and one of the nicest lines i've seen.) :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yes, I've done Double Overhang. I went up second and cleaned (my first time doing that). I got a little stuck on the second overhang though, and had to some inelegant maneuvering, cramming my shoulder into a crack, to get through it. Having the bottom drop out beneath one's feet is quite a feeling!! :shock:

In reply to:
How do you know that??? Don't limit yourself. I know guys that had a much later start than you and crank HARD. Just have fun and learn, the crazy steep stuff comes later.

Well, you're right.. I don't know how good I might be, but I know that I'll never really be able to dedicate a lot of time to it. But I do enjoy it when I go, so if I stick to low grade stuff for the rest of my life I won't care as long as I am having fun.

The only trick is to find others who are willing to climb the easy stuff with me. Luckily, the club is really good for that.

keinangst

Aug 26, 2003, 7:27 PM
Post #7 of 14 (2618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Remember what the late Alex Lowe said: The best climber in the world is the one having the most fun :D (that's in someone's sig somewhere...)

I've been at it six months, and I just did my first sport lead the other day--a while back, I had no idea how much more there was to this sport than the experience of toproping. It gets more and more fun (and scarier, in the good sense) the more you do.

Set some modest goals for yourself--like what grade you want to TR, if you ever want to do sport or trad, etc. Remember, you're not competing with Sharma and the rest of the hardmen and women. Go out there to beat your fears and have a great time, good company, and learn new things about the sport.

herm

Sep 10, 2003, 12:15 AM
Post #8 of 14 (2618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know several great climbers that started in there 30's. Anybody can potentially climb a little harder than they can today. Just always try to learn stuff and get just a little better, then you may end up badd-assed.

bertman

Sep 10, 2003, 1:00 AM
Post #9 of 14 (2618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There have been a few climbs during which I've come to the point of giving up, but have pushed and succeeded. What a great feeling! :D

I know exactly what you mean. My first 5.6 was at Devil's Lake (wish i knew the route name), and since I had size 15 feet, the camp I went with didn't have shoes that fit me, so i had to climb in my tennis shoes, requiring me to use my weakling arms most of the way. The feeling i got when i reached the top kicked ass, even though it was only 5.6.

Keep climbing, you'll love it!

climber49er

Sep 10, 2003, 1:24 AM
Post #10 of 14 (2618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started at 31 and 25 lbs (at least) overweight. I have improved a fair bit. I Looooove to climb. I've lost about half of the extra baggage (Hoorah!)

I doubted I would ever get past 5.8 but I am doing 5.10 and working upward.

johnfromohio

Sep 10, 2003, 2:02 AM
Post #11 of 14 (2618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am 21 and started climbing in January/February. I love the feeling of climbing. I mostly boulder and i love to do that about 80% of the time. Other 20% i spend on ropes of which 15% i lead. go figure right :roll: . Actually led about 8 climbs at summersville, enjoyed 2 5.8's out of 5.6 5.7 5.8 5.8 5.9 5.9 5.10 5.10. Then again i took a fall on the one 5.10 and hurt my ankle and havent really gotten on ropes taht much. Kinda training for bouldering comps. What almost irritates me though is one problem i am doing. Now dont get me wrong i wish i could finish this problem and I will if they dont take it down. Yes it is indoors and actually it has some of the funniest moves I have been on. Oh dont get me wrong I climb outside as much as possible, actually going tommorow though i have a paper and test due on friday and i work thursday. Ya kinda smart huh :? .. Anyways the way i am doing it is how i would do it outside and everyone is like ur making it so much harder and blah blah blah. The only other way of doing it I cant do it and people are like my way involves more difficulty. After hearing that, i dont care if i finish it or not, after getting on that problem and working it i had done 2 things before i havent really been comfortable with. Doing a hand footmatch into a heel hook and then throwing a heel hook at almost hand level.

I learned that it is not whether you finish the climb even BUT if you had fun and learned something from it. And SANDBAGGING IS EVERYWHERE because all climbs are different baby 8)

sync

Sep 10, 2003, 2:40 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I started at 31 and 25 lbs (at least) overweight. I have improved a fair bit. I Looooove to climb. I've lost about half of the extra baggage (Hoorah!)

I doubted I would ever get past 5.8 but I am doing 5.10 and working upward.

Good to hear from someone in a similar situation (though I'm not overweight).

I've gone to DL now about 10 times and in two weekends I'll be heading out to Boulder to visit a friend. He wants to take me on some multi-pitch stuff in the Flatirons! Yahoo.. sounds awesome.

A couple of weekends ago, I managed to work my way through a 5.8, though it took me a very long time and I hung on the rope a lot.

But I do definitely feel that I have been improving. Figuring out some basic technique, understanding how to balance and move. I'm really enjoying the mental aspect of it all. It's like figuring out a complex puzzle while simultaneously exerting yourself to your physical limit. Awesome! :D

redbrd

Sep 10, 2003, 3:00 PM
Post #13 of 14 (2618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am 31 and am a newish climber also. I enjoy it and that is enough for me also. I take my kids 6 and 7 with me so we don't push the hard stuff either. I usually pick rought s that start easy and have a decent crux so I get challenged and my kids can have a good time on the earlier section. I think the people in the climbing community are as big a draw to the sport as the excitment and challenge. I never have a problem getting help from other climbers (I often have to ask for a belay, my kids are to small and distracted).
Keep climbing.

sroehlk

Sep 10, 2003, 3:03 PM
Post #14 of 14 (2618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice work. Keep up the climbing!

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook