RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

nikdemeis

Sep 14, 2003, 9:32 PM
Post #1 of 16 (2428 views)
Shortcut

Finding studs?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK i'm not sure if this really goes here but anyway. I just bought a hangboard and am debating on how to hang it. I would like to hang it using the way metolius suggests by attaching it to the studs above the door, but i'm not sure how to find the studs. I don't want to buy a stud finder just for this. I search metolius website and the internet and all i could find it how to do it in walls with a stud finder. If anyone knows how to find the studs please let me know. And by studs i don't mean hot guys.

b_fost

Sep 14, 2003, 9:38 PM
Post #2 of 16 (2428 views)
Shortcut

Re: Finding studs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1. get a THIN finishing nail. Doesn't need to be too long.... bout 1 1/2 inch or so.

2. hammer it in above the door at intervals of about 4 inches.... then do it again at intervals of 1/2 inches to find the centers of the studs.

3. get piece of 3/4" plywood to screw into studs above door

4. drill necessary holes in plywood, INCLUDING ONE FOR THE HANGBOARD, put a t-nut into the hole for the hb.

5. install!

6. if you're in a dorm or apartment, spackle will quickly fix the holes you nailed and drilled into the wall.

GOOD LUCK and PM me if you have questions about this post.

Brian

nikdemeis

Sep 14, 2003, 9:46 PM
Post #3 of 16 (2428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SOunds easy enough, thanks for the quick reply

nik

b_fost

Sep 14, 2003, 9:52 PM
Post #4 of 16 (2428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No prob!

[bs]as always, check with a structural engineer before you drill holes in your house![/bs]

flying_dutchman

Sep 14, 2003, 11:32 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there is usually a solid piece of wood the width of the door and 6 to 8 inches high called a header above a door frame that shoud be easy to attach a hangboard onto. Basically, you should be able to hammer/screw it anywhere just above the door.

b_fost

Sep 15, 2003, 1:00 AM
Post #6 of 16 (2428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats a very good point! I would still recommend checking with the hammer and nail technique though... nothing is worse than ripped drywall.

pixelguru

Sep 15, 2003, 1:32 AM
Post #7 of 16 (2428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Coming from someone who has lived in a lot of rental properties... it's much easier to spend $5 on a little electronic stud finder than it is to punch a few dozen holes in the wall every time you need to find a stud. I use mine all the time to hang shelves, pictures and such - works by using ultrasonics - the high-tech way of tapping with a hammer.

BTW, if your doorway was constructed by a good framer, it will have two studs over it... perfect fo hanging a board from. If you live in a cheaply constructed townhouse like me, your doorway will have one stud (more or less dead center). I have found that if I attach my hangboard by sinking 3 long screws (low mid & high) into this single stud and rest the hangboard on the trim of the doorframes, it gives me enough support. Make sure the trim is well attached though, or bad things might happen.

My hangboard is wood with t-nuts for attaching training holds, so I can put screws through anywhere... this might be tougher with one of those new-fangled cast plastic boards.

hishopper

Sep 15, 2003, 2:53 AM
Post #8 of 16 (2428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess you'll know if you hit wood or not (I hope), but just a note from a framer - many interior doors do not have headers. It is best practice (as noted above) to do so, but many older houses, remodeled-by-homeowner, or spec houses will not have them....

However with only a few exceptions every door has a stud on the immediate left and right of the door. If you are facing the door, 1" to 1 1/4" from the edge of the opening for the doorway (casing) should put you in solid wood (usually about the middle of the trim)... the only reason these studs would stop going up at the top of the door is if there is a header there, in which case you're all set anyway. You'll want to use real wood screws (not long drywall or decking screws), and possibly angle them horizontally to reduce the risk of placing them right where the header butts up to the stud.

crazymtnclimber

Sep 18, 2003, 7:08 AM
Post #9 of 16 (2428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are really stingy, Home Depot will take a return even if its open (assuming that somebody opened it before you got it, I would never suggest that you return something that you bought and used :wink: ), I would just drop the ten bucks on a studfinder, its really easiest.

squish

Sep 18, 2003, 7:35 AM
Post #10 of 16 (2428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Coming from someone who has lived in a lot of rental properties... it's much easier to spend $5 on a little electronic stud finder than it is to punch a few dozen holes in the wall every time you need to find a stud. I use mine all the time to hang shelves, pictures and such - works by using ultrasonics - the high-tech way of tapping with a hammer.

There are other types with a magnetic needle that twigs on hidden screws. No guarantees that there would be any screws between the door header and the ceiling, though.

ajkclay

Sep 18, 2003, 8:13 AM
Post #11 of 16 (2428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a stud :wink:

jt512

Sep 18, 2003, 6:24 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
OK i'm not sure if this really goes here but anyway. I just bought a hangboard and am debating on how to hang it. I would like to hang it using the way metolius suggests by attaching it to the studs above the door, but i'm not sure how to find the studs. I don't want to buy a stud finder just for this. I search metolius website and the internet and all i could find it how to do it in walls with a stud finder. If anyone knows how to find the studs please let me know. And by studs i don't mean hot guys.

Can't you find studs just by using a magnet to locate the nails?

-Jay

cass

Sep 18, 2003, 6:51 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmm...i know a stud... http://www.boldering.com/...moticons/dribble.gif :lol:

:roll: heheh

nikdemeis

Sep 26, 2003, 10:17 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought i might modify this a little more. i'm in a dorm room but its like a trailer thingy (bigger, but not a house or a dorm by any means). I bought a stud finder today and when i went to use it it keeps going on off in different spots. I did one that ran from the top of the wall to the molding and i foudn a stud in the middle does this sound right? Also it is a cheaply constructed buiulding so i'm guessing there is only one stud but aren' they usually centered. If so that is where the only stud that i keep finding is but is running horizontally. So far this stud finders a piece of crap. Seems like i wasted 20 bucks on it. Well if that middle stud sounds right let me know.

thanks
nik

Partner coldclimb

Sep 26, 2003, 10:47 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think Jay is right. If you can find the screws in the sheetrock, you have found the stud unless the rockers screwed up.

(And another lame pun springs out of me before I even reallize it! :lol: )

elrojobdugs

Sep 26, 2003, 10:53 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stud finder baby

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook