RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

wandering_dusk

Sep 17, 2003, 7:45 PM
Post #1 of 16 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Boreal Lasers and smearing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am aware that some of my problem is probably lack of technique, however I am currently wearing a pair of Boreal Lasers, and I find that when I am smearing real smooth rock they tend to slip off... Anyone else experience this or do you think it is primarily my technique?

climber49er

Sep 17, 2003, 8:06 PM
Post #2 of 16 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Re: Boreal Lasers and smearing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard that Boreal rubber is not too good, however I have not used it myself.

melekzek

Sep 17, 2003, 8:18 PM
Post #3 of 16 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Before everybody starts yelling "boreal rubber sux" I should point out that lasers "were" something like miuras 10 years ago. Check any poster from early 90s, the hardcore climbers were using lasers (wg on action direct comes to my mind).
I am hobbit feeted so for me the wide fit of boreals rulez. My second climbing shoes were lasers, and I used them for a long time resoling many times. I cannot remember any "special" slipping behavior unique to lasers. Try cleaning your soles, i would suggest spit-and-rub against-each-other technique before some slippery climb.

freudian

Sep 17, 2003, 8:37 PM
Post #4 of 16 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've owned two pairs of Laser's and i've never slipped with them. I have slipped on all my FiveTEN shoes.

Food for thought.

If you are having trouble sticking with your shoes, think about your technique.

Andrew

In reply to:
I am aware that some of my problem is probably lack of technique, however I am currently wearing a pair of Boreal Lasers, and I find that when I am smearing real smooth rock they tend to slip off... Anyone else experience this or do you think it is primarily my technique?

fredbob

Sep 17, 2003, 10:32 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Before everybody starts yelling "boreal rubber sux" I should point out that lasers "were" something like miuras 10 years ago. Check any poster from early 90s, the hardcore climbers were using lasers

Boreal has changed its rubber composition several times over the years, the most recent change being the "Fusion 3" rubber. Fusion 3 is harder and not as sticky as earlier Boreal rubber. I have worn lasers and other Boreal shoes since they first came out (since original Fire's). Fusion 3 simply sucks, OK? In the last few years, I was forced to take new shoes and have a C4 half-resole done. Recently, I switched shoes entirely (Evolve; the Rage is the best slipper I have ever used).

I would suggest that technique could be a factor, but would advise you to get a half resole. Boreal shoes fit me well and I liked them a lot, but the rubber made me switch. The Laser is a great shoe, the rubber IS the problem.

pato

Sep 17, 2003, 10:55 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it depends on the boreal rubber.
so...........the last boreal rubber is called fusion 3, it is a rubber made 3 years ago, but, during that 2 or 3 years, they changed a lot of times the mix (like 4 times) so not to create fusion 4, fusion 5, fuision 6, and fusion 7, they decided to leave it as fusion 3, but the latest boreal shoes will always have fusion 3, even though it's not the same fusion 3 of some months ago!!!

bvb

Sep 18, 2003, 8:10 PM
Post #7 of 16 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in thirty years of climbing, fusion 3 is simply the worst rubber i've ever encountered, and that includes eb's, several different brands of tennis shoes, and some beater sandals i bought in baja that used old, cut-up truck tires for soles.

it's beyond me why boreal continues to use fusion rubber. they used to produce what whas the gold standard for sticky rubber.

there must be something to the story that we are not hearing...

freudian

Sep 18, 2003, 8:55 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe Fusion3 isn't as sticky as Stealth C4, however, there is a one huge problem with Stealth C4. The rubber wears out MUCH quicker than Fusion3.

Two of my main climbing parnters bought FiveTEN Mocasym shoes at the same time as me and their shoes wore through teh toe and underneath the toe to the leather in less than 3 months of climbing maybe 3 times a week. That's dispicable. My MOcasyms are acutally pretty much brand new still, but I didn't climb in them nearly as much as they did. My Laser2's Fusion3 rubber is still fine and they lasted 2 years before I wore through the toes, but still lots of sole left.

Andrew

In reply to:
in thirty years of climbing, fusion 3 is simply the worst rubber i've ever encountered, and that includes eb's, several different brands of tennis shoes, and some beater sandals i bought in baja that used old, cut-up truck tires for soles.

it's beyond me why boreal continues to use fusion rubber. they used to produce what whas the gold standard for sticky rubber.

photon

Sep 18, 2003, 9:51 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've seen boreal lasers climb a lot of hard stuff from steep to slab
blaming gear for failure is not a good practice to get into

if the shoe fits wear it.

I do like the C4 rubber better but before I got the resole I didn't notice too much difference from the fusion to C4.

curt

Sep 18, 2003, 9:53 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe Fusion3 isn't as sticky as Stealth C4, however, there is a one huge problem with Stealth C4. The rubber wears out MUCH quicker than Fusion3.

Two of my main climbing parnters bought FiveTEN Mocasym shoes at the same time as me and their shoes wore through teh toe and underneath the toe to the leather in less than 3 months of climbing maybe 3 times a week. That's dispicable. My MOcasyms are acutally pretty much brand new still, but I didn't climb in them nearly as much as they did. My Laser2's Fusion3 rubber is still fine and they lasted 2 years before I wore through the toes, but still lots of sole left.

Andrew

In reply to:

High performance tires for your car wear out much faster too--but they perform much better, in terms of traction. So, there is some trade off. however, my C4 soled shoes seem to last quite a while. I would say that I get about 1 year of regular weekend use from a pair.

Curt

beyond_gravity

Sep 19, 2003, 12:50 AM
Post #11 of 16 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone who tells you Fusion 3 sticks just as good as any other rubber is smoking the wrong bush.

hillbilly

Mar 7, 2006, 2:41 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Howdy, Joshua Tree deja vu. the nick name confusion rubber for boreal should say it all.

danieladaniela

Mar 23, 2006, 10:12 AM
Post #13 of 16 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Boreal Laser! I still love those! They were awesome in 95 or 96 or so when they first appeared, and I'm sure the rubber improved along the years. Before I go to look for them and kiss them once again (yes I still have them) let me add that perhaps it's not only technique, sometimes a good shoe is just shaped differently from your foot. Only partial and limited solution that I know of is, try a lot of shoes in a lot of shops.

jimdavis

Mar 23, 2006, 11:56 AM
Post #14 of 16 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

boreal rubber sucks ass, on top of that they screwed over all their retailers in North America about 2 years ago...which is why you don't see them in as many US shops anymore.

screw boreal, they have nothing to offer.

Jim

tonloc

Mar 26, 2006, 8:12 AM
Post #15 of 16 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

me think boreal rubber bad...not stick to anything...me break boreal...

overlord

Mar 27, 2006, 12:53 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

boreal rubber sucks. thats sad because they have some really good desigins.

and a friend of mine that had lasers threw them away. he hated them.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook