Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

apollodorus

Sep 18, 2003, 12:56 AM
Post #26 of 30 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Re: Booty gear, lost and found [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

One of the best strategies to bootying stuck cams, especially those with broken wires, is to use the hook of your nut tool to move the "wings". The wires, if intact, can't always give you enough leverage. You pull one cam, then another, then another, and so forth, while manipulating the stem to steer the thing out.

Nuts that are stuck can be tapped out using the nut tool like a punch and a big cam as a hammer.

Sometimes it takes specialized gear to get booty that is stuck. Expanding flakes can close on SLCDs, so that you need to drive an angle in to expand it enough to get the cams to move. You can also try standing on a sling clipped to a smaller cam placed near the stuck one to expand the flake.

If you are planning on going up the Salathe soon, bring a five or eight foot cheater stick with a hook and you might be able to grab a large cam (an older #6 Friend?) that fell down behind the Ear. It was still there in early June.

I bootied a cam that was left as a lower-out piece on a pendulum by hanging on a hook, pulling the cam, freeing a move to drop the hook and then taking the big swing.

piton

Sep 18, 2003, 1:09 PM
Post #27 of 30 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lost a gold camolot
and orange alien
partners overcammed :x

nuts and locking biners
from backing off climbs

found many nuts, slings and a red alien (which i gave to a friend)

coach

Sep 18, 2003, 1:29 PM
Post #28 of 30 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While at Red Rocks I had my watch come off on the third pitch of Olive Oil. It was one of those with a velcro band and it came off while jamming in a crack. I watched it fall and figured it was lost but when we got down that afternoon there it was lying at the base of the first pitch.

Took a licking and kept on ticking!

Climb On

shaggyj

Sep 23, 2003, 8:38 PM
Post #29 of 30 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We came across a 35 mm camera this past weekend, it still had 5 pictures left on it so we finished the roll off, and took it to get developed.

Did anyone out there loose a camera this weekend at Lumpy?

Partner camhead

Sep 23, 2003, 8:58 PM
Post #30 of 30 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

okay, found, five years ago outside Escalante, Utah, covered in dust on the side of the road:

A Dana Design pack, containing a rope, a harness, a pair of small boreal shoes (not sure which model), tons of slings, biners, two figure 8 biners, two lockers, a set of hexes, and a set of stoppers. honestly, it was a weird rack to find in the desert; no cams at all.

anyways, I found it, and posted a lost and found notice at the visitor centers of Grand Staircase-Escalante and Capitol Reef National Park.

if this gear was yours, thank-you. it got me into climbing. changed my life.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook